1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural appropriation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaEsmeralda, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Someone could find whatever they want offensive. It's censorship that's the problem.

2. Formality

The way I like to look at it is: the people who see this as a problem are too comfortable to ever consider spending any energy on combating big issues that require some actual commitment.

Most people don't spend any real time talking or doing anything about the humanitarian catastrophy in the middle east because "it's too complicated". Nobody seems to care about the environmental problems with our food production or the oil industry's complete disregard towards everything except their own profit.

The only reason people spend time arguing about cultural appropriation is because it doesn't require any real thought or commitment. It's simply convenient enough to fit into their first world life style. The same goes with most of the SJW buzz-problems such as: "man-spreading", among other equally important humanitarian challenges.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Who is being censored??? The last time I checked, the voices of members of the cultures being appropriated are completely drowned out. Most people aren't even aware there's a "problem". It's one of those things you see discussed in academic circles.

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Drowned out in what way? And what problem are you referring to that cultural appropriation would be responsible for?

5. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Cultural appropriation" is not a problem. People trying to tell others that they cannot have their hair a certain way or wear certain things because they supposedly belong to another culture is a problem.

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Cultural appreciation - Can I borrow your phone? Sure. Thanks.

Cultural appropriation - Can I borrow your phone? No. *Steals it.*

For example, in Japan, it is widely seen as completely okay for a foreigner to wear a kimono, partake in Japanese culture, etc.

However, it is unacceptable to wear a bindi. This is because the bindi has a lot of meaning, and is not supposed to be used as a fashion accessory.
    And in fashion magazines etc., it's almost always worn by white people, which is just pretty crappy in general. Taking something that a symbol of high importance to a religion and whitewashing it, it's just not okay.

#26 ForNarnia, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  7. Cinis

Cinis Guest

To me there a several important aspects in regards to this topic:

1. Cultural Appropriation is historically seen not necessarily a bad thing. Amoralic? Probably, but not bad. All the people that think all Islamic people are terrorists write down your phone number please. And what would they be writing in? Arabic numbers. And yet noone would question these numbers within our society simply because they have become the norm.
    Science, Maths, Architecture...all those things...humanity wouldn't be half as far developed if cultures hadn't stolen these things from one another.

2. Respect is an important point and I believe that ForNarnia has given a very good example. But let's go back to another example that has been given: dreadlocks. Sure there are some cultures in which dreadlocks are a religious thing. But lets be honest for most black people it absolutely isn't. Braids and dreadlocks were a matter of practicality not religion so bringing up that argument when one isn't wearing them for religious reasons himself is actually very respectless to those people that actually do.
    So what is the problem with the dreadlocks and braids then? Well for a long time black people constantly got shit about their hair. But when white people did it it wasn't a problem. So yes I can see how it hurts to see something with that kind of history becoming a trend.
    But I don't see how people would see this as "cultural appropriation" it's a matter of practicality not symbolism or tradition and thus depending on definition not culture.
    It is wrong that people got to hear shit about their hair but as long as they don't anymore they have no right to complain about others copying that hairstyle.

3. Saying something only belongs to one culture enforces differences and by extension racism. If a minority takes the culture of the majority no one is complaining because to complain would be racist. So there is already that double standard. But by saying that " only members of our group are allowed to do this" one is seperating oneself from everyone else which is going to bring unacceptance and misunderstandings from the rest of the world with it no matter the intentions.
    I'll exclude religion and certain traditions from this because it is possible to change religions and become part of other cultures without having to fit any criteria at birth.

4. People have the right of freedom. And by that they have the freedom of expression. Denying them that is a form of censorship.

---------- Post added 18th Oct 2016 at 05:28 PM ----------

Those are all random thoughts written down on my phone between doing things...so several things might be a little off key or mistaken...just adding this...because the post is very rambly and generalizing....

8. Flowey

Sometimes I wonder if the Nazis were offended when people culture appropriated them.
    And Halloween is coming, it's the holiday of cultural appropriations. We are so going to have another social media mob outrage.
    I agree that cultural appropriation can be disrespectful and offensive. But at this point, it's all a big so what.

9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If it's high importance, then I can see why it's better to respect a culture, but these people think everything is cultural appropriation. Dreadlocks? Sombreros? Also, I don't think I've ever seen a white person ever wear a bindi. Unless if this is something exclusive to fashion magazines...

10. Jellal

Opheliac said it best.

11. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cultural appropriation is yet another problem that is of great significance to the PC police. But overall it's a completely insignificant problem, cultural minorities will not lose their identity because someone wears the same sash or jewelry as them. You also can't and shouldn't stop anyone from appropriating elements from other cultures or religions because then you're telling other people how they're supposed to run their lives.

#31 pinkpanther, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  12. Irisviel

cultural appropriation is a made up problem that doesn't exist, and I find it racist to perpetuate the concept; because it means you view people for their skin colour, therefore, you are not truly egalitarian. Also, a made up issue. Lets focus on something real, like fixing poverty.

13. I'm_Danni_x

What exactly is wrong with cultural appropriation?

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think cultural appropriation is wrong at all.

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2016 at 03:18 AM ----------

People have a right to be offended. People also have a right not to care that one finds such things offensive.

It reminds me of this well known quote:

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's something devious about sweeping a minority group's concerns aside, then declaring them "racist" for protesting. Sort of how feminists were demonized as man-hating butch lesbians who wish to take over the world and enslave men.

Not surprised some people feel this way, honestly. When you study the history of the west, its full of exploitation, genocide, and inhumanity. It's just another example of entitlement and lack of concern for others.

16. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Cultural appropriation just seems like yet another excuse for people to get offended over nothing.

17. Flowey

I'm just glad that people who take cultural appropriation seriously seem to be in the minority.

18. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a #1 rule, if something does not belong to your culture (or if your culture happens to have a historical feud with the other culture you want to steal from) just don't use it! If you can't help it because you genuinely appreciate that culture, do it ALONE where nobody can see you

19. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That makes no sense to me, with all due respect.

We are all humans. Humans create things (music, objects, technology, etc.) . Why can't we use these things just because another group of humans, just like us, created it?

Of course, it is interesting to recognize different cultures, like "oh, this is a brazilian music!", "this is an african hairstyle!". But why can't i use things from other cultures, if we are all equal?

To me, cultural appropriation is, in most cases, a disguised form of prejudice. "No, you can't use this particular thing, because it is form my culture, and you aren't one of us!". Why separate people like that?

We need to unite, not separate.

20. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is nothing wrong with cultural appropriation. In fact, I think it's a very good thing. It's important to learn to understand other cultures in order to cooperate with people from all over the world.