1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Centres- what're they like?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RainydayTofu, Oct 8, 2016.

1. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

I'm trying to meet more LGBT people... (I say 'more' but maybe I should say 'some'...as I currently know no-one else who is gay!) to try and make me feel less weird and uncomfortable around other gay people (my fault, not theirs). Unsurprisignly I don't meet any in the small town I live in, or sitting in work all day:lol:

So, I've been thinking about going to an LGBT centre. There's one in the big city where I work which is like 1 1/2 hrs away by bus, which isn't so bad.

I looked at their website but it mostly seems like they do sexual health advice and groups for older people. They seem to do some general meetup groups too but... I just don't know what they would be like.They also did an art group but it seemed like it was for actual 'artists' not just people who like to draw as a hobby :icon_sad:

I'd prefer to go to a place like this rather than a gay pub because I'm not looking for a date, jsut friends (I think it would be good for me to be able to talk to someone who isn't uncomfortable talking about stuff that my staright friends are).

So, I know this is a REALLY open question, but what are LGBT centres like? What kind of things do they offer? Do you have to be 'out' and/or sexually active to go there?

2. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one here offers support groups for women, transgender, and other people under the LGBT umbrella. However, there's not a single group or event for gay men. I signed up with them as a volunteer and was able to assist in setup/teardown ofthe local Pride Fest, but regular volunteer opportunities are to mostly assist in their profitable adventures, twice weekly bingo nights that's attended mostly by straight older people, and a shoddy thrift store. I have been disappointed by my local center, but perhaps they're not all this.

3. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Depends on the center really...i have been to one that is practically like a bar where lgbt people hang out (some straight cis people too) and have occasional special theme evenings.
    Been to another one that organized youth groups and professional cost-free psychological advice for lgbt folks but didn't really have their own building.

4. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is none in my current city but there was one where I used to live.

I was a part of the LGBT youth group (for people age 16 to 30) and it was mostly a support group with lots of activities such as LGBT movie nights, First Aid classes, Speeches about being trans, BBQ etc... and most meeting tended to end up with a couple of drinks in a bar or in a gay night club.

Now that there is none here I kind of miss it but I personally didn't really enjoy the experience. I felt people were really judgmental (lots of biphobia and anger towards straight people!) and it felt a lot like people were forcing themselves to get along and be friends because they were both gay/lesbian/bi and felt as if you had to only hang out with other gay people, when it's not really my philosophy of life.

Obviously each LGBT center will be different, and it's mostly down to the personality of each person but yes, I was slightly disappointed with my experience. :/

5. target

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It sounds like I've had a much more positive experience than others with the centre that I've been to! The one I go to is specifically for youths, so I'm pretty much the oldest there, but everyone is really friendly and it's got a nice balance between structure and giving you time to hang out with people and chat.

I think it's made quite a difference for me because, like you, I struggle to meet other LGBT people because of where I live and being at work. This way I get to meet people and make being LGBT a normal part of my life :slight_smile:

6. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This Monday and Tuesday should be good days to go as many of them will be busy with things going on for National Coming Out Day (Oct 12).

7. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yep, this is exactly the same with the one near me- there is a very specific group for every type of person under the sun... and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but shouldn't we be trying to show what we have in common rather than sub-dividing this already small "community"?!?!

That's interesting, because although I bet a lot of people go to LGBT centres so that they can mix with other gay people more, it kind of ends up the opposite extreme, doesn't it?

Yeah, the centre near me does a 'youth' group although I probs won't be going to that as even though it says 13-25 I reckon I'd easily be the oldest there, surrounded by 12-year-olds (who to be fair probably all know more about being gay that me!)

Hmm... so it seems like not everyone really recommends LGBT centres...I'm undecided yet if to try going or not...

8. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ironically I went to the LGBT center here in Phoenix today and turns out it closed down. They sold the building too.

#8 GayBatman, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  9. target

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You might be surprised - I wouldn't rule it out if I were you :slight_smile:

10. Blinko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The centers here are a bit okay. However, there are some incidents where people will hit on you at first esp if you 'look' like a 'femme' lesbian. The problem sometimes comes when an influential member takes it personally when the love is not reciprocated or you reject their pursuits and might make it hard for you to fit in because you now feel awkward. Otherwise maybe a funny tip is to be in your 'off' game when you visit there the first time and show some level of confidence to establish boundaries. But i do not like it there. I prefer the lesbian bars as much as am trying to quit drugs and alcoholism. My preference is because you find most members who have just come out to have fun and the atmosphere is easy. Maybe exchange some numbers and hang out with them later by expanding your social connection. My main agenda is to start up a network of lesbians that focuses on empowering activities while at the same time discouraging intimate endeavours at the workplaces coz it at times messes up people's ambitions and expectations when they visit support centres.

11. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

Yeah, you're right I know I should try one... What did you do the first time you went to one? I mean, did you phone first or just turn up? Sorry I am clueless lol