1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did your parents suspect anything?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by secretstutter, Oct 6, 2016.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents never suspected anything when I was a teenage and living under their roof because I was very careful to stay in the closet. My family belongs to a fundamentalist Christian religion, with some similarities to the Duggards on that TV show. The main difference was at the time the children were not home schooled, although that soon changed when I went to college against my parents wishes. It was okay for the male children to go to college, but not the females. Females were to get married to someone approved by my father, and start having babies, because that is what God wants women to be. Just leaving home and rejecting the church doctrine caused enough of a rift without having to come out of the closet while I was still home. When I left home I left that church as well. They are not fond of people who believe in things like evolution, etc. either. When I finally did come out my mother collapsed on the floor and started wailing, like someone had died. This was after a Thanksgiving dinner. :rolle: She then disowned me, but by then I was living on my own with my female partner in another state.

2. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    nope, they never thought about it. plus they are to focused on my sister to notice what i do. i could literally go out on a date, bring him home and hang out and they still wouldn't notice

3. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think my parents were surprised and I don't think my mom still necessarily wants to believe it. However, I remember when I was very young, I used to be obsessed with girls in shows and from school instead of the boys and I remember my mom asking questions and being uneasy about it, but I didn't understand at the time why, so maybe she had more of a hint then she leads on?

4. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No one in my family knows. Doubt I'll ever tell them. My life had taken a turn for the worst in October and when I met with Doctors and therapists for preliminary check ups for depression and anxiety I had to put a confidentiality block on all my sexuality-based conversations.

Even in my worst I couldn't feel comfortable in even mentioning it to them. I doubt that will change anytime soon, sadly.

5. Impa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, they were both shocked. My mother believed for a few months that I was just confused. They were both very supportive, though.

6. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really sure. My mother has always been good at hiding her emotions. When I originally came out to her, she didn't really tell me anything other than "it's a phase". My father was surprised, but then again I rarely see him, so didn't have a huge chance to suspect anything.

When my mother told my aunt (her sister) that I was trans, apparently she just laughed and said: "yeah, I figured."

7. AfraidandAlone

I don't think my mom had any idea when I told her. Though I think it helped her understand why I act the way I do. She has also realized that some times its not that I don't want to talk about my day and such, and more that I just don't have the energy to think of acceptable lies for how I am really feeling because I am not out to my stepdad and well now she understands why I'm dealing with so much stress and anxiety.

8. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope.
    Hell, I didn't even technically come out to them... My sister told my mom while she was drunk.

9. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I now have something to add since I last responded.

My parents are pretty sure I'm transgender now, to the point of my mom asking me what my pronouns are one time.

10. Lalayajen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have not came out yet but I will be surprised if they didn't suspect anything.

11. Gabri3l

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mom and dad always knew there was something "different" about me since I was very "tomboy" for a girl; I think my mom thought I was just a lesbian so she was surprised when I came out as a transgender who like boys.

12. Niko

They questioned me several times asking if I were a lesbian prior to and I would always tell them that I wasnt. Once I came out as trans the response was basically "we knew it", but I'm not so sure if they really knew I was trans or just different than a cis-straight person.

13. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one suspected a thing.

Happy days :slight_smile:

14. Barb

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents both suspected it, although I think my dad was on to me even more than my mom was. My dad kept saying things like: "when you get a boyfriend. OR girlfriend." And when I asked him whether he was expecting me to be into girls, he simply told me I was the one in the house that would surprise him the least. When I told them I had a girlfriend, my dad told me he wasn't surprised at all and my mom said she was just surprised that it wasn't one of my best friends whom I used to have really long skype calls with, ha! Although they both immediately guessed my gf right.

As for my sister.. she used to always say things like: "Ohhh Julia must be a lesbian, because she hasn't ever had a boyfriend!!" Little did she know ha! She was very surprised when I (accidentally) told her though and she couldn't keep her mouth shut, whereas she accidentally told my little brother about it. He just shrugged and said: "Cool! When can I meet her? Does she like Pokémon?".

So yeah, guess they all kind of saw it coming haha