1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for a DVR

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by hptrek314, Oct 4, 2016.

1. hptrek314

I live in a one bedroom college apartment, and I reallyyyy want a DVR, but i'm not sure what to go with. I grew up using Tivo, but I feel like there's got to be something better, any suggestions?:bang:

2. starfish

I've had a TiVo since 2000. I've tried different DVRs, but every time I come back to TiVo. What are you using for source? Antenna, Cable, Satellite?

3. hptrek314

I'm in the same boat as you, always used Tivo since my family bought our first one when I was 9 back in 2005, but now i'm living in a college apartment complex using the pre-installed shitty Charter cable service they give us and setting up a Tivo might be tricky

4. starfish

Yeah the question is can you get a CableCard from them. If so then a TiVo should work, might possibly require a tuning adapter if they use SDV. If you can't get a CableCard then you are pretty much stuck with the Charter DVR. Which I had one of a while back in 2008 and it was terrible. Hopefully they have improved it since then.

Witch actually a quick google search shows that Charter offers a TiVo DVR. So maybe the easiest thing to do is just get one from them.

Of course I don't use my TiVo much anymore. I have it attached to an antenna, but use PlayStation Vue, Netflix, and Amazon Prime for most of my TV.