1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does how you do in high school really dictate your future?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ameryllis, Oct 4, 2016.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I might as well toss this in, as well...

I did quite well in high school. Lowest grade was probably in the "B" range, and my grades were mostly in the "A" range starting in 10th grade. I had demanding classes--including 3 years of real science (biology/chemistry/physics/AP chemistry), and I had 2 years of German (not the easiest language) as an elective. (I fulfilled college language with 4 years of French, but that program was worthless apart from the value in allowing me to claim 4 years of language study). I graduated with over 3.5 GPA, and was in the top 10% of the class.

Frankly, high school did nothing towards a bright, beautiful future for me.

All it did was make college acceptance possible. But frankly, I could have gotten into the college I went to with lesser grades. I had nothing that really was enough to prompt them to pour out the scholarship dollars.

One other thing, too, while thinking of colleges... In the US (and much probably applies elsewhere as well...) They don't look at grades alone. They look at a number of factors--grades, types of classes taken (IIRC--a harder classes can be worth more even if the grades aren't as good), test scores (SAT or ACT in the US), letters of recommendation, essays, etc.

Another factor: being well rounded is a bonus. Being a straight A student (like I was) who doesn't do anything but school work (like me) is less compelling than a B student who has lots of other impressive activities.

And it probably helps having something that makes one stand out. I just read an essay this week written by some guy for a local college. I am betting this guy had good paperwork (grades, etc). But he managed to snag a rare full ride scholarship, and I'm betting that essay was a hugely compelling factor. It was well written, but it also showed a side of him concerned with social justice and doing the right thing, and it was very "real." I know I was impressed, and I bet all the people on the scholarship committee were just as impressed.

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I did very well in school up until the start of grade 10, then I stopped trying. It didn't matter. They told us "you won't be able to get into university with less than a 68!" I graduated with a 63, got into my first choice uni no problem, with 0 recommendations. (Note: This strategy DID NOT work in uni...)

I also know several people that didn't finish high school, all of whom are doing well. My ex's best friend dropped out to pursue professional figure skating, fucked his back up before he could actually make it, got his GED, and is now a researcher with a degree in Bio Medical Engineering. A previous co-worker of mine dropped out, got her GED and an entry level PSW certificate, got a job at a hospital and just keeps getting paid to get more certificates. No degrees but she has something like 15 certificates for various medical and therapeutic programs.

On the other hand, I know people that graduated high school with A Plan and straight As, who don't have anywhere close to the same success (in fact, the first person that comes to mind when you say 'straight As' to me, got accepted into a very highly ranked video game college on the west coast, they held her place for over a year, she let fear take over and, last I heard, was living in a trailer park).

It is what you make of it.

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Depends.
    If you have the determination and intelligence, not having had a good high school education does not have to be a barrier to succes.

4. Mila

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Short answer is no, but always try to do your best! :grin:

Mila

5. stream26

stream26 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can tell, it has the potential to affect your life in multiple ways. It also really depends what type of person you are. Say, if you are a hard worker, though maybe you struggle with the concepts of some of your classes, you will have a lot easier of a time than someone who gets everything a lot easier, but is just plain lazy. Intelligence isn't the most important trait that will determine the rest of your life. You just need to work hard and go that extra mile to prove that you are capable of doing great things. However, this is going to be a lot easier for someone that is highly intelligent and also hard working. So if you get absolutely horrible grades, I would say it would put you at a major disadvantage, but it still might not affect your overall life. My mom didn't go to college, but by working hard and staying determined, she is now the office supervisor of a dermatology office and makes quite a lot more than people with her education level. So, I guess to wrap things up, it can affect your life, but not as much if you have a good work ethic and make up for it later on. You might not get into a good college, and in that case you will have to be resourceful and make yourself the person you want to be.

6. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It didn't for me. I was going through a rough time in high school and slacked off for the better part of two years, and I still managed to get into college. Got straight As my last year of college, too.

(Note that I don't recommend slacking off in high school. I'm just saying my grades didn't mean a damn thing for me.)

7. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I'm still highschool. But my mom never graduated, or got her GED.

Actually she threw a stapler in the principles face.... Only because he was insulting her family.

Thats besides the point. Even without a GED she's been able to raise a family, and is more or less successful.

Not that I'd recommend that particular path.