1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can This Type of Sleeping With a Binder Hurt You?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spoopy Monster, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Spoopy Monster

Ok, so I ride in the car a lot. When I'm in the car, I tend to fall asleep. But whenever I wake up, I start freaking out because I usually have a binder on. I know you're not supposed to sleep in a binder, so I try really hard not to. But sometimes, I do accidentally fall asleep in the car or in class, or something like that. I do not sleep in it at home or overnight, not even for naps at work (I work at a theatre so that's pretty normal)or anything like that.
    Usually, if I do fall asleep in the car/in class with my binder on, I move around and stretch a little to make sure nothing feels hurt. And I'm mostly fine, aside from the usual binder uncomfort. But should I be trying harder to absolutely not sleep in it at all? Is this hurting me or going to hurt me? :icon_sad:

2. GenderSciFi

Mehh, I think it's okay if you don't take a longer nap. The problem is not beibg asleep itself, but the widening of your ribcage when you relax and breethe more deeply. If you felt fine so far then I think there's no need to worry. Just never sleep in it for longer!

3. SystemGlitch

It would really depend on how long you're sleeping for. It'd really be preferable to not sleep in it at all - but I'd think that if you're only asleep for a few minutes or an hour or so, it shouldn't be too awful. Sleeping in a binder can cause fluid build up in your lungs or sleep apnea (since being in a binder restricts your breathing somewhat, and during sleep you breathe very differently than when you are awake), so keep an eye on these things and try not to make too frequent of a habit out of it, if you can help that.

4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the main problem of 'sleeping with a binder on' isn't the 'sleeping' part but the extended period of wearing a binder. Especially laying down with your breathing slowed it's seen to be dangerous. Also I can vouch that when you're in the same position for hours on end, it's not a fun time waking up and trying to make sure you still work okay.

What you're talking about wouldn't worry me at all. I'd be more concerned if you're doing 12+ hours in it daily as that's going to have a more harmful and prolonged effect on your body.