1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I write a coming out letter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wolfwing, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Wolfwing

I'm going to come through a letter but I need some help. I'm not quite sure what to write and when do I have a vague idea in mind, I'm never able to actually put it down on paper. Also, I live with my dad and stepmom, so I can't mail it to them, which makes me unsure of how to get them to read it. Also, when I do find a wayto way to get them to read it, I'm not sure if it'd be better for me to do it when I'm home or when I'm not. Any advice is appreciated.

#1 Wolfwing, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I emailed mine. I didn't think it through too much, I simply let my thoughts and emotions pour out. But, I live 8 hours from my mother and stepfather, I really don't know how I would've been able to do it if I still lived with them.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just be honest, and let your emotions speak for themselves.
    About how to give it to them, I left a coming out letter to my parents on the table where they would see it and simply went skateboarding. That, or you could e-mail it like some people did.

5. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1)Like others said grab a pen and paper and start writing, let the emotions pour out, and just write til you are satisfied.
    2) Go back and read it. Did you talk in circles? Say the same thing many times? If so do a rewrite and edit those out.
    3) Now look at the overall tone of the letter. Does it sound like you are apologising for being gay? Does it sound like "Im gay and you are just gonna have to like it"? If so you may want to rewrite it again putting the same thoughts into it but the letter should basically be a statement of fact "hi (loved one) I just wanted to let you know that im gay".
    4) Post it here and ask opinions on it. There are many people here who are willing to help.

As far as getting them to read it. Either stick it somewhere they will find it such as blocking the TV screen marked with (loved ones name(s)) and then go somewhere just before you expect them to be home or email it to them with a subject something like "something i just wanted you to know".