1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts sought: A touch of emptiness?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Closeteer, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone,

As someone who keeps reading posts on here I know this might come across as something small but I'd still welcome thoughts.

I'm now out to a fair number of people here in the U.S., have got a network of people I feel comfortable with when it comes to talking about things pertaining to my sexuality, and am even part of the community events in a minor way in my city.

However, I've noticed a strange thing that I haven't been able to shake off even after the aforementioned coming out and it's this: Every beautiful experience I have seems to be tinged with a touch of emptiness.

I'm not a social media guy (I have an aversion to the selfie culture) so it's not that I want to tell people about things I see and experience. I'm not the club bore so I don't want to ramble on about the play or movie I saw to my colleagues. I share a normal level of things with my family and friends but...

Have you ever seen the moon at JUST the perfect angle in the sky? Have you ever felt a beautiful gust of wind? Have you ever seen a funny sign that made you stop and laugh?

I just wonder whether it's the inability to share these micro-moments which gives me that micro-vacuum. After all, a person whom you CAN share these things with would, to my mind, be a relationship partner (or at least a boyfriend). And not having one somehow seems to make these experiences strangely bi-focal with one part of me being happy and overjoyed, and the other filled with a wistful "I wish I could share that with someone".

Of course this does not render me clinically depressed or anything but there's a gentle undercurrent of sadness which I so want to move beyond but find myself unable to. And yes, I fully realize my gratitude about all the things that are right in my life and so on. But it doesn't remove this feeling.

Have you ever felt like that? What helped you to move on?

2. yuanzi

Sounds to me you need a best friend(s). I have a couple really close friends and we can spend hours talking about absolutely any small/silly things and still enjoy each other's company. Of course we talk about my sexuality sometimes but that's just a small part of the conversations.

I am not saying making close friends is easy. It is probably one of the hardest things in the world, especially after you reach a certain age. But I am a loner and I hate social gatherings in general, so I feel like if I can make close friends, most people should be able to as well.

Would I be happier if I suddenly have a loving girlfriend who is also my best friend? Maybe. But since relationships really cannot be rushed, I try not to worry about it too much.

P.S. I just realized that you are a guy so you probably have had it more difficult than me. Most guys I know were never trained or encouraged to share micro-moments b/c it was a 'girly thing' to do. But I still believe with time you will find someone to share those moments with even if they are not your romantic partner.

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your description of those micro-moments is spot on. I do know what you're talking about. It can be a relationship partner or a best friend. I have those things with my wife, who is also my best friend, but I also have a platonic gay best friend that I can share things like that.

4. Landgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can totally relate to this. Every time I drive across the moors to work I love the beauty of it all, and feel so lucky to live in such an unspoilt part of the world, but I find that although I have not lost the ability to appreciate all the good things in my life, and have several people with whom I can share them, the lack of a partner overrides everything for me.

5. FoxSong

What you're describing is called melancholy and yeah, it happens to me too :slight_smile:

Everything becomes bitter-sweet and the feeling of wanting someone to share it with leaves you unable to fully appreciate it just as is. Nature scenes usually evoke that in me too. And, as others have mentioned, you can feel these things with a good friend as well, but it's not really the same.

6. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the empathy, all :slight_smile: Will try and respond to all separately but just in the middle of things. Still, thanks a TON for sharing. Glad to know I'm not alone in feeling this :slight_smile:

7. Friesian

I can completely relate to this. I experience this with someone I care deeply for - it can be a simple activity but because I shared it with her, it makes it all the more poignant and wonderful. If I had shared it with anyone else, I would feel that tinge of emptiness you talked about, like something was missing. Even with her in my life, I still feel empty at times because she and I aren't in a committed relationship where I know she's in my life and I'm building experiences with her. Instead, I'm left feeling melancholy as one poster put it and as your comment above states eloquently.

It is an uncomfortable place to be and I do wish to someday find a true partner to share life's little moments with. I think it's part of the human bonding experience - something on a much deeper level needs this fulfillment in order to have a sense of fullness and completeness. Not in a dependent kind of way, but in the spirit of oneness with someone else. I think it's the way we were made, not to be disconnected but to connect. It's connecting on the deeper matters of the heart that bring this kind of fulfillment. I wish I could say I know how to stop feeling this way and how to move beyond it, but I don't. I do try to realize it's a feeling that stems from my own human nature and that it's not a negative thing. Only when helplessness and hopelessness creep in can it become negative.

8. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I mean for those little things... I feel emptiness... But I don't know whether it's because of not having someone to share it with... Things like a perfect stsrry sky just remind me of the world as a whole and make me feel small and helpless, or some just make me feel the desire to empty myself a little more to make room for small things and to feel the space in our overloaded society. Either way they seem to put into question either my existence or just modern life. And they make me want to bask in quiet blue for just a little. I think however, a special someone can be a support that lifts you up and holds you through those moments of melancholy... Maybe make them seem a bit more worthwhile. I dunno.

9. Keith83

This is just my thoughts on what might be happening, I could be totally wrong but do you think at one time you may have seen that beautiful night sky or the waves lapping on the shore or whatever it may have been at a time when you were feeling lonely. And at that time you wished that you had someone to share that moment or thought or experience with? And then the next time something similar happened it may have subconsciously reminded you of that thought or feeling of sadness or loneliness and from then on you've formed the habit of connecting that feeling to these moments in life. I think somehow you have to try to break that pattern. Maybe start taking pictures and posting them on a blog or here on this site. You can private message me anytime to share if you have one of those moments. I'd be quite interested. I often have those little moments and think through people I could tell and very often I decide that most of them probably wouldn't give a shit - but that doesn't mean the moment isn't still special to me. Those micro moments is what life is made of. And if we don't appreciate them we're going to miss out on a lot. Get your camera phone and take a pic or make a note and then post about them somewhere or message me or whatever. I'd be interested to hear about them. And don't feel as though it's because you haven't got a partner that you're feeling like this. I have a partner but she just wouldn't be interested in my micro moments - well most of them anyway.
    So start sharing, break the habit of feeling sad and empty and let other people share in the micro moments too.

10. KSatt

I can definitely relate to what you're saying. I don't share easily with anyone, so to give of myself in those beautiful moments, it would have to be to someone special. That's something I haven't experienced yet, and it can certainly tinge those moments with a degree of melancholy. Hopefully it will happen some day...for all of us.

11. Keith83

Ah now I understand a bit better, you're not just looking to share, you specifically want to share with that someone special. It's like sharing some of yourself. You will find that someone special - just don't give up!

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to comment on what the OP wrote above:

Of all places, I found a beautiful description of that "touch of emptiness" you speak of in SparkNotes, on the thought of the philosopher, Martin Buber (my bolds):

Setting aside the You as God (Buber has no issues with atheists and places them higher than the misguided religious), Buber has a lot to say with respect to the I-it vs. I-Thou ways of relating to the world.

Most people's experiences in the present modern context are in the realm of I-it, namely, the separation of subject and object, of me dealing with causes and effects, money, matter, things I use, etc. But what the OP describes about his memorable encounters such as the "...moon at JUST the perfect angle in the sky." are in the I-Thou category. In that frustratingly short moment, there is no I or Thou alone, but a relation, where the I and the Other (which could be an object, an animal, an event, etc.) dissolve sufficiently (yet without losing the "I") to create something in-between. In that realm there is no subject and no object, but each participate in the fullness of that moment with their entire beings.

It may be that the frustration the OP describes is the inability to share that experience with another, but it may also be that such I-Thou experiences hint at something much higher, in a sublime realm of Others that transcend mere I-it experiences. In that context then, one wants to reach out to someone who could experience what you are experiencing, and in that sharing, experience and deepen the love that both could share in the contemplation of sublime beauty and significance.

#12 greatwhale, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  13. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here goes :slight_smile:

@ Yuanzi - Very well put. I do have some close friends with whom I discuss the "gay" stuff, so to speak. And I do have friends to talk to about everything else. I'm sure in time I might be able to develop even closer friendships with people whom I could just dash off a message to. Still, the absence does rankle at times.

@ Imgay47 - I'm glad you do! I do have a friend like that but I also know that I'm attracted to him (he's not to me though, damn!) and I feel that that ends up coloring my feelings somewhat. In the sense that I love sharing things with him but the realization that he CANNOT be romantic with me always makes me hold back a bit.

@ Landgirl and FoxSong - Amen :slight_smile:

@ Friesian - You put it beautifully, that's really how I feel! And yes, the need to connect is fundamental and I guess that's where the melancholy comes in :slight_smile: I'm trying to find a way wherein it doesn't affect my appreciation for the beautiful moments in life.

@ Shach - Maybe :slight_smile:

@ Keith83 - You're very kind and I do appreciate that :slight_smile: No, it's not a residual memory of sadness (though that's a VERY interesting hypothesis!) because I always loved those micro-moments (still do!). The sadness has come about somewhat recently and it does coincide with me coming out of the closet. Again, sharing it in a blog or on social media would not work for me because what makes those moments special is the private, intimate nature of them - the sense that they're all "mine"! Still, thanks for the ideas :slight_smile:

@ KSatt - It shall. But the wait sucks, doesn't it? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@ Greatwhale - You continue to amaze me with your wisdom, GW :slight_smile: I admit that the interpretation you put on the matter was a little beyond my grasp (I'm not as wise as you!) but I do love the notion that it is in those moments that we might have seen a glimmer of that ethereal beauty beyond our own selves. And maybe that has a tinge of melancholia as a price for it :slight_smile: