1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Hillary Clinton will end "conversion therapy"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ConnectedToWall, Sep 30, 2016.

1. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They aren't all raving about how great Hillary is because she has some alleged murder accusations and shady past. You brits have your own crap to handle anyway.

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That may be the first thing of hers that I really like. Of course it's also the first thing of hers that I heard that wasn't aimed directly at middle-aged women.

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wouldn't feel right voting for her... I'd rather vote third party.

4. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish that British people could vote in this election.
    Hillary Clinton is one of the most qualified people to run for president. But the GOP keeps running smear campaigns on her. And, also, because she is a women, people hold her to different standards. If Trump was a women, he never would have been nominated as the Republican candidate.

5. Iloveyoubabe

Iloveyoubabe Guest

I would never vote for Hillary. While I applaud her for wanting to ban conversion therapy, I can't get past the fact of how crooked she is.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apart from the glaring question of actually providing a concrete example of 'crookedness', just remember who exactly the only actual alternative is.

Trump is a man who has fooled thousands into paying for a scam 'university', who has almost certainly evaded taxes for decades, engaged in political patronage to the expense of New York taxpayers and competitors, made suspiciously timed payments through incorrect legal mechanisms to prevent investigations into his Florida business practices, refused to honour hundreds of contracts with small businesses and individual workers and consistently misused funds from his 'charity', the Trump Foundation, for personal ends and campaign finances, leading the New York Attorney General very recently to forbid it from soliciting money.

And to make this more specifically related to the thread, he also stands in political alignment with homophobic indivduals and at the convention that elected him, his party came up with the most regressively sexist and homophobic platform in recent memory.

If the mere questions raised about the Clinton Foundation, with no indication of corruption, misuse of funds or the granting of special favours, are somehow equivalent or worse in your mind to the long, documented history of Trump's unethical behaviour, then I really doubt your reasoning for opposing her given the alternative. If you plan on actually voting for him, then I doubt your sanity.

#26 Aussie792, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  7. Linkmaste

FYI in Canada it's only illegal in one province. That's disturbing as well. I'm not going to get involved in politics but Trump flip flopping and then denYing sounds accurate haha. That was a good post.

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's partially banned in Ontario as well as it's banned for minors and not covered by insurance so child abuse is at least out, but then there are delusional adults who think they are "sick" and can be "cured".

I'd like to see the bans strengthen and spread, supposedly it's not as common as in the US but a few more nails into the coffin wouldn't hurt. It'd be awfully strange if the US was ahead in a civil rights regard for once.

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, for some people (not referring to myself) voting isn't all about which candidate is the better person. It's sometimes about the policies they oppose or support, what Supreme Court justices they would nominate, who they would appoint to basically actually run the various departments, etc. It's why so many people on both sides are saying "I don't like --- but I'm holding my nose and voting for him/her anyway, because of --------" (insert their favorite issue) In other words, issue oriented voters. Or has one person said to me recently, "So what if she's a crook? They're all crooks in politics. At least she's OUR crook." Some republicans have a similar attitude towards Trump.

10. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS TRADITIONALLY ANTI-LGBTQ. Always vote Democrat. Mike Pence supports conversion therapy. Trump would be a terrible president. He and Hillary aren't really comparable. To me, Hillary is like a somewhat stale and crappy-tasting soda and Trump is straight-up poison.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the Hillary bashers, what's better: having her build on strides already made in helping sexual minorities and continuing on with Obama's momentum in all other areas, or having slightly faster strides and having a POTUS who would not be adept in other areas? I know this is EC, but there's a lot more that touches your life by who is President. The most important thing to me was the ACA. While I never got a subsidy, credit, or whatever, I was able to purchase insurance despite preexisting conditions which are treated with generic medication as well as having the use of antidepressants and periodic mental health services in my record within that window of time they look at. I was not able to be underwritten prior to that. We don't live in a vacuum, folks. Your quality of life under a government or a leader covers a lot of ground.

12. Sagume Kishin

Well, she's far from perfect. She's definitely better, but she's done sketchy shit of her own. Like pandering to Neocons and Fundamentalist Mormons, planning to sabotage Bernie's campaign, and so forth. As well as things like murder allegations. It's why she's hemorrhaging Millenial Support.

Unlike Trump, she's not denying Climate Change, calling for all Muslims to be banned and so forth. But she's far from perfect either. If I lived there, the sole reason I'd vote for her is because the amount of people who are dissatisfied with her voting third party (for a good reason) may very well just end up giving the position of POTUS to Trump. It's sad that the only people who CAN win are such terrible candidates.

Basically this.

Anyway, this is good. I hope she sticks to it, because conservation therapy is sickening.

#32 Sagume Kishin, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  13. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As much as I hate Clinton, I agree with her on this.

14. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I gotta agree. While I like Hildog's mental healthcare plan, I just can't bring myself to vote for a murderess of her own benefactors.

15. David21201

Ill just say one thing: Dont Vote third party this election

16. SplitMelody

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    While both are bad, the equivocations need to stop.
    Hillary is a godawful person, but a qualified candidate for the presidency- more importantly the people backing her aren't bigoted people who ride off of hatred of people like us. Hillary may have claimed she wasn't for gay marriage when it was unpopular, however now she's forced to platform on equality otherwise she won't win, and if she doesn't follow through she won't be re-elected, so she knows her career relies on treating us well. The people she brings into office will be better than anyone the republican party can offer for our rights.

Trump however, has courted the most enthusiastically anti-lgbt politicians in America. He brought Pence on to the ticket.

I'd like to remind you that being gay was illegal in the 60's. Gay culture even flourished in Germany before the Nazi party rose to power, but when they did they targeted people like us.

17. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats not true wer talkin about america if trump gets elected shit will hit the fan on all fronts