1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by musiclife, Sep 30, 2016.

1. musiclife

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I started dating this girl from my home town like 4 hours away. I'm at college so that's why I'm not in my hometown. I think we're both a little nervous about making this work. I know 4 hours is not that much distance, but we both have school and work so it's not like I can just decide to drive all the way home for the day and surprise her. I want this to work. Any advice?

2. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi musiclife,

Just replied to your other thread - I guess you went with Hannah in the end?

Regarding advice, I don't have much I'm afraid. Maybe just set a regular time to skype so that you keep an even level of contact?

Hopefully some others here will have better advice. Hope it works out for you :slight_smile:

3. musiclife

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah I've been in relationships where I was giving it my all and getting nothing back. So Hannah is probably the "healthier" choice. And she's actually my brothers best friend so I know she's a good person and will be as good to me as I will her. But that's actually a pretty good idea with skype. We text all of the time but I think some face to face on skype would be good.

4. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you are right about the healthier relationship thing and you already know things about her which is good. Have you decided whether you will come out to your brother?

Yeah, I keep in touch with a German friend of mine through skype. She and I try to speak once a week. A friendship isn't as demanding as a relationship but it feels a bit more like you are seeing them. You could also do skype dinners - where you both eat dinner together and chat. I've never done it - I'd find it a bit awkward - but it might a good way to get the relationship feel. It might also help if it was a regular thing.

I hope things go well and best of luck in your relationship. :slight_smile:

5. musiclife

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am not out to my brother but I was recently talking to Hannah and apparently she had asked my brother if I was gay before she asked me. He said he didnt know. Hannah told him not to be surprised if I was and he said he wouldn't mind if I was. With that knowledge, I'm coming out to him when I go home this Friday.

6. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great news. It must be a relief to know in advance that he won't have a problem with it - although I guess you probably thought that anyway as his best friends is a lesbian.

Hope you have a time at home and have a good talk with your brother. :slight_smile:

7. AAASAS

4 hours isn't really long distance though it would suck.

You can make it work, just plan things ahead, and stick to plans so you actually see eachother, but 4 hours really isn't too horrible(spending weekends is totally doable once a month at least right?).

My boyfriend had to move back to Alabama from Ontario because his Dad got sick and I was starting school so I couldn't go, that is long distance, and it sucks.

It's only for 8 months, but we have three trips planned in between, if he was only 4 hours away I'd see him once a week.