1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at work

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Darthsam, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Darthsam

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out at work today and it was a mistake I think nobody talk to me for most of the day and the guys there was making fun of me I could here them I had to still use the male toilets it was degrading. I had to have a meeting with my boss she was pretty cool about it she said I'll always have my job as long as I keep working the way I do tomorrow I pick up my female work clothes I felt like crying all day I don't know if I can go back there again I'm going to feel really uncomfortable again

2. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry to hear that the guys were making fun of you :frowning2: If this persists I'm sure you could go to HR about them? There is bound to be some sort of anti-discrimination law I'm sure? Also the positive part is that your boss is cool about it and if your work mates are bad you about being trans it sounds that she will have your back!

Stay strong :slight_smile: And remember you're awesome :slight_smile:

#2 ConverseCody, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very sorry that it went so poorly, Darthsam.:icon_sad: Do you think your co-workers were maybe just so taken by surprise that they didn't know how to react and that some of them will come around once they have had time to process what you told them?

If the harassment keeps up, it sounds like you can discuss the problem with your boss. And if she can't get a handle on it, like ConverseCody, you should be able to file a discrimination complaint with your HR department. If your boss is willing to just talk to your co-workers about it and let them know that what they are doing is discriminatory and that their jobs could be at risk if they don't stop, maybe that would be enough?

If you think you could do it, you might consider confronting the co-worker(s) who harasses you the most and letting him know that such discrimination is both hurtful and unacceptable.

More power to you!:slight_smile:

#3 Quantumreality, Sep 30, 2016
  4. Darthsam

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm hoping things will get better if it keeps up I'm to speak to my boss about it thank you for your support

5. BenFreeman

I take my hat (do wear one!) off to you for being so brave. I have only come out to one counsellor and one friend about being trans. My friend was a bit awkward but it seems to have blown over now. So I am going to say: Give it time. I think they will adjust; go back there and be brave; hold your head up and be proud. Break the ice by taking the initiative: if they wont speak to you, speak to them first: It's possible that some of them just feel awkward, and don't know HOW to talk to you now: so take the lead and show them. Some of it's a lack of a reference point...Even the guy who made fun of you... Taking the bull by the horns and speaking to him directly could work...? Obviously his mama never taught him to RESPECT. if you show THEM that you are not tolerating disrespect, it can be that that will be enough.

Good luck!
    And well done girl

#5 BenFreeman, Sep 30, 2016
  6. Darthsam

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today was a better day I think things will be fine and some of the costumers were the best I had an interesting conversation with one of the girls about what I'm going through so I think I made a friend and I get to wear female work clothes from now on and no I don't wear a hat haha

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's VERY good news, Darthsam!:slight_smile:

8. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great news! :slight_smile:

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pleased to hear things have been better for you.

Sometimes, people are more receptive and understanding when they fully appreciate what this 'journey' is all about; when they understand the deeper, emotional processes. To many people coming out is simply about stating a preference and choosing to be different, not fully appreciating the pain and psychological distress that goes with it. When I came out, I made a point of talking about this too. It wasn't easy to open my heart like that, but it was noticeable how people paid more attention when I did. When I explained how it wasn't a choice and that I had been tormented about it for years, it really softened some attitudes and began a conversation. I would even suggest it improved some relationships. Would that be an option with some more of your colleagues, I wonder?

In the ideal world, we should be able to come out and carry on as normal, but we're not quite there yet. I think some people need (want) to understand why we are coming out and what it's all about.

Stay strong and lean on us for support, when you need it.