1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D&D? Which Version?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by iiimee, Sep 28, 2016.

1. iiimee

So, I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but I'm a HUGE D&D geek. XD I am starting two new campaigns soon, so that'll be fun... I'm curious though, is anyone else on EC into D&D? If so, what version? Personally, I mostly hate 3.5, and almost exclusively play 5e... I've never played the original or 4th version though, so idk how good those versions are...

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! I only started playing recently and it's all been 5e.

3. Nikky DoUrden

My knowledge of D&D game from PC games, most notably Baldur's Gate II which is AD&D v2, but I think Neverwinter Nights use 3 or 3.5 which I liked too so hey im not picky.

I assume the campaign u start is with RL friends which is cool and different!

4. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've played a few campaigns, and I'm DMing one, though we haven't played in a while because of college. I mostly play 5e. I played 4e a few times. My problem with 4e is that if you roll your stats and build stuff right, you can be god tier way too early. My boyfriend's character had such high physical stats that he was unstoppable. I think we were only level 7 or so and he was performing god tier feats. The character was hilarious though so it's a fond memory. What isn't funny about a ridiculously powerful barbarian goliath that thinks he's a cleric?

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mostly Pathfinder which is basically 3.5.... Have heard good things about 5th D&D though, really should pick up that book.

My favorite party had a male Kobold Sorcerer and a female Kitsune Ninja... oh the shenanigans those two got into.

The game I am GMing I have an Half Giant Gnoll NPC, a bit over powered but the group sucks at rolling. Seriously they have no dice luck, the first critical any of the players got was in the sixth or seventh game session... And that is playing with no extra rolls to confirm a crit, just a roll the damn weapon's crit range.

I must confess I have had to fudge rolls and stats in their favor a little more than I probably should. They have solid character designs, states and ridiculous gear for their level. They just suck at rolling, but everyone has a good time and that's what it is all about.

Also played 2nd edition of White Wolf's Exalted. I like the just roll D10 for everything, makes it go a little quicker since all you need is lots of D10s. Solid story world and the game rewards people who are good at the role play theatrics more than D&D or Pathfinder. The more effort you put into describing your action, the GM can give you bonus dice to improve odds of success.

6. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've played 4th and 5th. 4e is a bit battle heavy and not so great on the role playing. It's very much just hit stuff without much else. It's good to learn with though as it's simple. 5 is better imo but I've only played a oneshot. Personally I prefer the fate system to straight up dnd as it can be really creative and tactical. At the moment I'm doing mutants and masterminds which is a superhero rpg and also very creative in combat as everyone has unique powers...and we get to be villains!

7. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've played 5th edition, only because it was easier to set up and create characters with thanks to an application available on Google Play. When using it it follows all the standard rules and you start off with the proper supplies. If you decide to look it up search 'Fifth Edition Character Sheet' it's the one with a green D20 for it's picture.

Also what made it easier is that there is a wikia page that has most of the information you would need, like monster types, your abilities based on your race, etc.

#7 MtnFr3sh, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  8. iiimee

Omg guyyyyssss! ^_^ So, I am in the process of creating my world map! I'm not sure what the name of the world is yet, but so far it has three continents and I am in the process of putting rivers through them! >_< Then I have to add all the important kingdoms and such... then the coloration... It'll be a hassle, but it's a ton of fun! I'll have all the supplies I'll need to start DMing again around Christmas, and I already have half my campaign finished, so I'm sure I won't run out of ideas anytime soon. XD I also have four different possible locations for our players to play at, so hopefully that'll go well- I have a list of around 14 players who are interested so far, but with any luck that list will grow to around at least 30 interested by Winter... >_< I've only had the list a few days, so I'll probably get more than that, but 30 is my goal... Oh god, I still need to make a map for the underdark! X_X *Dies a little inside*

9. Nikky DoUrden

If u need inspiration, u can use baldurs gate!!
    Sorcerer's Place - Baldur's Gate 2 Online Walkthrough - The Underdark

10. Jellal

The one i play is 5e. it's really fun!