1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I prefer playing as female characters in video games.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Wolfwing, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Wolfwing

Like the title says, I prefer to play as a female in video games. Also, I always try to hide it from people. I don't really know why I do this because I'm comfortable being a male. So could this mean anything or am I just overthinking this?

2. Synesthesia

You're probably overthinking it if you're completely comfortable being male. I know guys who like playing girls in games too granted they're often straight, but I've known straight girls who play as guys too, it's not really that weird.

3. stoutdriver79

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I play female characters a majority of the time. It depends on their back story. Yes even my video game avatars have back stories eve when they don't have to. Nerd and proud!

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know girls do it because it's typically relatable unless it's one of those silly games that gives men armor and women metal undies, straight guys do it because they like staring at their own character's butt instead of the objective, but I don't really know about outside that. Maybe just for the sake of variety you know so things aren't the same all the time.

On games I really like I might create multiple characters, eventually there's a dudebro in there somewhere or another. It could mean something, but it could also be like this.

I'd say only consider it "evidence" if you have some other things pointing in the same direction, you said you are comfortable so I wouldn't think anything of it.

5. Koan

Koan Guest

There is probably not something too serious about this. I guess it is cool to explore other viewpoints. I don't think it points to deeper gender issues.

I am curious as to which games with female protagonists you like to play?

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Normal. And if you are a more fem guy, then it especially makes sense. If not, loads of guys straight and gay I'm sure play as female characters and vice versa. It would only say something if this was one in a long string of "coincidences" pointing to relating with a female identity.

On that note, I have always played male characters in games - particularly RPGs - because I wasn't allowed to present masculinity at home. The character was a sort of extension of myself or who I'd like to be if I were in that world. I'm not controlling the character or watching them, I am being them. So the way I was thinking of these characters I made is in a more personally relatable way. This was one thing, looking back, that kind of makes sense seeing as how I'm trans.

But in the end, correlation does necessitate causation.

#6 Kodo, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016