1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does a trans guy who's pre-everything have a chance with a straight girl?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spoopy Monster, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Spoopy Monster

so I made another thread about this in another forum, but I thought I'd post it here too (idk why)

Basically, I've REALLY liked this girl for a while, she's knows I'm ftm, but she's straight... Thoughts? Like, what should I do? :tears: :icon_redf

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really going to depend on the person. Have an honest talk with her, see how it goes.

3. Spoopy Monster

Ok, well... I kinda tried to talk to her about her orientation (I've talked about this more in the other thread) and she said she was hetero, but that she's never really thought about it.
    Idk man... Some people say I should 'just go for it' and other say 'definitely not'.
    :bang: I guess I'm just worried I'm going to make things weird between us. she knew me before I was out too, so I can't be stealth about it or anything... :confused: Do you think I'm over-thinking it?

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I can't relate to dating someone as a trans person as I'm not trans. But I've been rejected by friends and nothing ever became weird between us. If she's supportive of trans people, the rejection will be kind and the friendship will continue. Or maybe she actually will be interested and you might find yourself having a date! But you never know the outcome if you don't try.

5. stoutdriver79

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If someone likes you just because you are trans, then perhaps you need to reevaluate your relationship. Some may choose just to "experiment" with you and never really commit to a long term relationship, that is hurtful. If you want a "straight" person to love a trans person then you are kind of bending the "rules." These titles that we give ourselves and to others do nothing but put people into categories, but it is human nature to categorize things in order to understand them. Now, lets say you are a trans guy, you're presenting how you want, binder, guy clothes whatever, even a packer if you like, and you see this hot girl, and everything inside you wants to talk to her, but you're hesitant because you don't know if she is gay or not. You'll never know unless you do go and talk to her, you'll know pretty quickly if she is interested. If she is interested can you still classify her as "straight?" When one person loves another, regardless of their sexuality and gender, and just accepts them as they are, that is love, and that is what you look for.

Start off small, like a movie or something and see where it goes from there.

I hope I've given you some insight. You be you, don't be for anyone else.

#5 stoutdriver79, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  6. SystemGlitch

Sexuality for a lot of people is linked to both gender and sex of the other person - there are many straight/gay individuals who are attracted, for example, to men and also to male genitalia and are not attracted to women or female genitalia. They just don't get along sexually with the "other" genitals. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it's like that for everyone. There are straight and gay people who have had relationships with people outside of their preferred gender, because very few are 100% hardline straight and have the capacity to be attracted to a different gender if "that one person" comes along. There have been a couple of people come on EC who identify as straight or gay but have entered a long term sexual relationship with someone outside their preference, even though they've never felt attraction to any member of that gender except "that one person".

At it's core, though, sexuality is based on gender, not on sex. A lot of people link the two but they are not the same. A trans woman who is dating a man is not gay because they both have penises, she is straight because she is a woman and he is a man. Likewise, the man is in a straight relationship (and can be considered straight) because he is dating a woman. My boyfriends are as gay as they come and I am pre-everything; one of them is actually repulsed by female genitalia and breasts but he still finds me extremely attractive because he is looking at my gender and not my sex. It can be difficult to find the people who understand this distinction and can separate gender from sex in order to feel comfortable dating a trans person, but they exist. And if a girl was attracted to you, they aren't "straight?" like the above poster said. They're just a girl interested in a dude. End of.

So basically, you would need to ask this girl specifically whether she would be comfortable dating you, as a male, despite not being particularly interested in your genitals. Some straight/gay people are comfortable with it, unfortunately it seems the majority are not because they link sex and gender so closely... that's why a lot of trans people end up searching for bisexual or pansexual partners, because they know that there's a stronger likelihood of the person being okay with both their gender and their genitals. I'd say definitely do not go looking for a lesbian girl to date though - some lesbian women date pre-op trans men, but I think it's more likely they will be looking at you as female rather than male (since, after all, lesbian women like women), which will more than likely end up painful and unfulfilling for both of you.