1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking for a homecoming dress... HELP!?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by love dont judge, Sep 21, 2016.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have a homecoming dance coming up in 12 days now. I just recently got invited to go with a couple of friends. We'd be going out to eat before snd just having fun but like... i don't know if I'm going to go. It's going to be formal and I do not want to wear any men's formal clothes. I really want to ask my parents to get a dress. I'm out to my dad and my stepmom and I think they'd just be worried about me, even though I'd be fine. My mom I'm sort of out to? I wrote her a letter but we haven't talked about it. I have been dressing more feminine around her recently though... I just don't know how she's respond to me asking for a dress... plus I have less than 12 days now... can anyone help me out here? What should I do?

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Homecoming usually is a formal event. I skipped going to all of mine lol.

I'm a fan of the straight forward approach, since you are out to your dad just ask. Which isn't always the easiest way. The main reason I suggest the quick way is, you need time to find one and have it altered to fit you. Cause I am betting anything you pick out will need some alterations to fit you properly.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does your school have some sort of program for getting dresses for those who can't afford them? My school does for formal dances.

If not, pester your dad. Tell him to spoil his little princess.

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe just scrounge up 15 bucks and buy your own dress at a thrift store?

5. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unlike most people at the dance, you'll wear your dress again cuz you'll be so happy to have it. :slight_smile:

6. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UPDATE: Thank you for your replys. I did decided to do the straightforward approach. Although, I'm now with dad and won't see mom for the next week so I decided to text her this morning before school. Well, I'm now not going to go to homecoming. My mom said no right off the bat when I asked if I could wear a dress. I asked why and she said it was just common sense. I explained there was nothing wrong with it and asked why i couldnt. Then she end of conversationed me. I said we needed to talk about it and she said no, it was final. So I'm not going to get through to her. I don't have any way to get a dress by myself and even if I did, if any photos of me found their way onto Facebook I honestly don't know what she'd do but it'll be worse than it is already going to be. So I've decided I'm not going to go to homecoming this year. Or ever. Whichever. Thanks again for all of the replys though guys. I appreciate it.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stay strong young lady.

8. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw! That's so sad! Even if your mom was mean because she is worried about your safety, im still kinda upset that she was mean. :frowning2:

Do you have any female friends at school who you're out to, preferably with chill parents? Maybe you could go to one of their houses, invite a few other girls, and they can wear their dresses and bring any extras they have, evrybody dresses each other up, have a dance party in the living room? You could agree to not post pics on social media if you want. I feel like there's got to be a way to still feel connected to your friends and this kind of high school experience as your authentic self. Maybe the other girls would even give you some makeup or accessories they dont really use and you could increase your stash at home.

---------- Post added 22nd Sep 2016 at 06:09 PM ----------

If your dad is chill and on board, maybe he could still help you get a dress and make Girls Dress Up Dance Party Night happen.

#8 Katchoo, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  9. Spoopy Monster

I've been in this situation before.
    One time when I was about 8 or 9, my mom and I were invited to my cousin's wedding in Tennessee. We were shopping for what we wanted to wear when she held up a short, purple, sparkly dress with ruffles. She told me that it was in my size and that I should go try it on. I shrugged and went over to the changing rooms. When I had it on, I looked in the mirror and just felt... Odd. I lied and told my mom that it was too tight and that I'd need a different size. To my dismay, as she looked through the cluttered rack, she found one after another that she made me try on until one 'fit'.
    As we were walking to get her dress, we passed the boys section. I wondered into the maze of clothes and came upon some tuxes. I found one with a bright purple tie and grey pants/jacket. I grabbed it and ran to my mom, who was holding a white and black-flowered dress up to herself in the mirror, and told her I wanted to try it on. She just shook her head laughing telling me that I couldn't because "at weddings, tuxes are for boys and dresses are for girls." She patted me on the head and told me to put it back. As I put it back, I felt really bad. I really wanted it.
    But the day of the wedding, even though I didn't really want to, I saw how happy my mom was when she saw me in the dress. And even though I was unhappy with it overall, I knew it would make her happy. So, I told myself that just because I wore a dress, it doesn't make me feminine, and that actually made me feel better.
    And you know what? It all turned out alright in the end. Mainly because I got all the other little girls to take off their high-heels and tie their dresses around their legs, and play in the rain with me :grin:

I'm not saying this is something you should do, but I thought you might find something of use out of all of this. I know I always find a lot of good advice and insight in others' stories.
    Good luck :slight_smile:

10. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my mom decided to, without me knowing, text my dad about our conversation. Granted it was in a "do you know what they just said, go talk to them now" kind of way (she isnt being "concerned about my safety" here. Shes just being not accepting and transphobic here.) I was just going to not tell my dad (which is kind of wrong, yea, but I have issues with sharing my feelings lol) so my dad and stepmom talked it over before they brought it up with me and they reached a conclusion that they don't care what my mother thinks of them and I'm with them for homecoming. My dad would rather me not wear a dress, but we did come to a compromise. In the near future my stepmom snd maybe my aunt are going to go take me shopping for some really nice, formal dance ish girls clothes i.e. pants and shirt and I will obviously have to get a nice pair of shoes because the ones I have will so not match the outfit. I might try and see if my stepmom could do some light makeup on me as well... I know that this is going to make things VERY difficult with my mother, but I could always just opt out of going over there. It'd be simple enough, although a bit of blackmail over my her. I hope Im with dad and tiff for prom because I'm going to wear my prom dress this year. That I won't compromise on. I'm going to wear it. Although it needs to be altered a bit. Im also slightly anxious as to see what effect this will have on my school life as ik this is going to be something huge in terms of gossip so there's that to contend with as well but I'm willing to fight for my freedom now. Anyways, just thought I'd update all of you. Thanks again for the replies!

#10 love dont judge, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  11. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope it all goes well for you <2

12. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really glad your dad is willing to stand up for you like that, Co parenting is hard and too often decisions are made with keeping the peace as the first priority. You should give him a big hug!