1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Fashion designer Marc Jacobs uses dreadlocks - internet outraged

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Sep 16, 2016.

1. 741852963

The article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/f...edia-response-new-york-fashion-week.html?_r=0

Some of the comments:

https://twitter.com/search?q=marc+jacobs&ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^search

To be honest this sort of behaviour makes me want to hit my head against the wall.

Marc Jacobs has done NOTHING wrong in styling his models with dreadlocks, and they were more 90s cyberpunk/rave inspired dreadlocks (made of wool and in crazy colours) anyway, with that sub-culture being predominately white! Just saying!

Some of the commenters are acting crazy - attacking Marc for his perfectly reasonable defence that some black people straighten their hair without calls of appropriation. They are saying straight hair is "for everyone" and "POC can have straight hair"....yet apparently dreadlocks are ONLY for black people. :rolle: Just casually ignoring the fact that white people can and do have dreaded hair, and dreadlocks have historically been a part of many non-black cultures and have been a part of white history for millenia (i.e. Greeks, Celts, Vikings).

Seriously though, people wonder why we still have racism in Western society - it is down to permanently offended people like this and BLM throwing down massive roadblocks to positive discussion and integration. Could you imagine if the gay community acted in such a manner - shouting at any straight person wearing pink or a rainbow calling it cultural appropriation!

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is complete bullshit. I agree with you 100%.

3. 741852963

In the article it says Marc Jacobs drew inspiration from:
    -Lana Wachowski (a white woman who wears dreads...and looks awesome doing so)
    -Boy George (a white man who wore dreads)
    -Harajuku fashion (obviously of Japanese origin)

None of the above are offensive, and thankfully have escaped the screaming condemnation, but I think it shows how selective these commenters are with their outrage - completely outraged at one thing, then ignorant to something exactly the same happening elsewhere. It is like they "forget" to be outraged, then suddenly have to vent!

I wonder if the reaction would have been the same had this been a black female fashion designer, or even an asian one choosing to use white models with dreads instead of a white man - I doubt it, I'd imagine she would have a free pass.

I'm guessing a lot of this is actually racism in itself - "hey look, a rich white man, he must be the enemy", that sort of thing. "Easy target" vs say, Lana Wachowski as a trans woman. Its a shame as a. marc is a member of a minority himself (in being gay), and b. actually seems a fairly decent person as celebs go (see his defiant stance when his sexting pictures were leaked like "yup, I'm gay and hookup, so?" ;p).

4. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's sad that this what people waste their time on, Bitching at things don't affect them.

#4 Cauldron, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  5. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm black and I love Boy George's music. Never cared about him wearing dreads I just loved dancing to "Time" by Culture Club.

As far as oppressed, gays are still widely oppressed globally and the OP is right with Greeks & Vikings having dreads. What does it matter? We don't have the same hair and we take from other cultures all of the time. Check what the "Made in..." tag says on your clothing. Remember a guy had dreads in my middle school and he looked cool as hell to me I didn't care that he was white.

Ironically it is racist to say white people can't have dreads but critics don't realize that. Do your thing Marc.

6. photoguy93

We are missing out on so much because we cannot possibly let people learn from one another. Andddddd, we are so PC anymore that it's getting ridiculous.
    I guarantee you that if Marc said he drew inspiration from someone black, it would have caused outrage. He could have said he drew inspiration from Jesus, and it would have been a problem.

7. faustian1

I'm all ears, if a black critic wants to criticize this. However, whenever I hear some white hipster starting in with the sermon about cultural expropriation, a little "off" switch in the auditory cortex of my brain operates to disable listening.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bullshit.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh I think he has done something wrong. Those are absolutely the most hideous, unfashionable dreadlocks I could ever imagine.

10. theskylitup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Meanwhile there are people dying :dry:

11. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah...what's y'alls ethnicity? Hmm? Where did Lana Wachowski and Boy George get their ideas for dreads from? What about those 90's cyberpunk people, where did they get their ideas from? Additionally, I'd like to know about the whole viking, celt, and greek dreadlocks more. Here's the thing:

Cultural appropriation occurs when a DOMINANT culture takes aspects of another, oppressed, culture without properly acknowledging that. Oftentimes, members of the oppressed culture are forced to adopt the dominant culture's ideals (ie. straightened hair) in order to move ahead in society.

To paraphrase LLAG: boiled down, every counter argument comes to: but I like it. That's it.

Read what the POC people are saying. "A black woman wrote in a Twitter post: “An unknown black man/woman has dreads, it is assumed they smoke and/or are unprofessional. Marc Jacobs has a model with dreads, it’s boho chic."-the NYT article.

12. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To answer your question: White British-Canadian

1. How does one assume dreadlocks = smoker[?] Even if the dreadlocks were technically messy, I thought they are alright professionally [since a person in our school wore them in a "strict professional environment" and never got told off].
    2. So basically the definition targets majorities and doesn't allow them to do anything outside of their "majority bubble".
    2a. Okay, so I'm going to university next year, I'm going to meet a lot of people. Now say I become friends with someone whose African-Carribean, and they want to cornrow my hair [which by the way, does it hurt?]. If I tell them no, they might get offended since I don't want to have a style I said looks nice on them and they want to do it for me. But then if I say yes, other people might call me ''racist'' or something. What do I do then [?].
    4. People take ideas from people they meet all the time, as they see something they like and get to know the person and like that person as well and want to use them as an inspirational model. I don't see what's wrong with that, everyone does it, in one way or another.

#12 Secrets5, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  13. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Here's my thing about Cultural Appropriation.
    If you are Native American, and Native American halloween costumes offend you, I'll support you.
    If you're indian, and other people wearing bindis offends you, I'll support you.
    Etc, etc.

If you tell me that something's appropriation, but the culture that's being 'appropriated' is not upset about it, and you are NOT a part of that culture, I"ll probably throw something at you.

One of my best friends was reduced to tears over this subject. Her culture is her life. And people stealing it, without knowing it's importance, wounded her in a way I couldn't even imagine. That's why I truly will believe someone who says their culture has been taken and cheapened.

But for the love of God, people need to stop getting offended for OTHER people.

#13 RavenTheRat, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  14. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm mixed race, and my race has been questioned and defined as different things in different countries and contexts.

I don't know, you'd have to ask them...

Who knows, I was younger than 10 during the 90s.

Sure, since you're too lazy to do your own googling.

https://www.google.es/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=vikings and dreadlocks
    https://www.google.es/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=celts and dreadlocks
    https://www.google.es/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=greeks and dreadlocks

Agreed, but I really don't think people should straighten their hair to move ahead in society.

Maybe the problem is people assuming that dreads are unprofessional? Also, I'd like to see how many white people with dreads have gotten ahead in society. For a lot of (ignorant) people, dreads are not professional, whether you're black or white. Maybe, off the runway, a white man with dreads is also assumed to smoke weed and be unprofessional? Like it or not, and sadly, the only people who can afford to get dreadlocks and a solid job are engineers and the like.

Also, it's funny how this is an issue in the US, but I never hear about this in Latin America.

15. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cultural appropriation? A massive fuss over nothing if you ask me. People enjoy being offended.

16. Joelouis

Yeah, I go along with that.
    I think most of the time those people who say they are offended don't really give a toss about the subject in question. They just want a confrontation.

17. 741852963

Probably a mixture of sources, including but not limited to black hair. Lana's/cyberpunk styles are frequently done in vibrant colouring which is a. not a feature of natural black hair, b. had not been a big part of black culture, and c. was based upon hair dyeing which was predominately invented and practiced by lighter haired cultures. So at best we can say 50/50 contribution from black and non-black culture.

These cultures sometimes wore dreads, simple.

And how on earth are they meant to "properly acknowledge that"? By shouting: "EVERYONE LISTEN UP! I'M USING DREADLOCKS! IT'S A BLACK THING, THANKS BLACK PEOPLE!" each time?

And looking at the MAJORITY of negative Twitter comments, they are not even wanting "fair usage" with proper acknowledgement - instead they want ZERO usage by non-POC. Essentially they want white people banned from wearing dreadlocks. That is irrational.

I think that is completely and utterly untrue in the real world:

White person with dreads: grunger, hippie, anarchist, avant-garde/punk rocker
    Black person with dreads: just a person with their hair in a neutral style

Like with any hairstyle - it is how it is worn and what with:

A white man with long flowing hair is often deemed completely inappropriate in a smart office, whereas tied back with a suit it is less problematic.

A black man with long flowing dreads is often deemed completely inappropriate in a smart office, whereas tied back with a suit it is less problematic.

In my office there is a black and a white man with similar length dreads - they have them tied back and they look sharp and professional.

18. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally believe that people should be able to style their hair however they want, and that race is irrelevant. This earth belongs to everyone and everyone should be able to use it equally.

19. Formality

Cultural appropriation is such a joke issue. You can't claim the element of a culture is off limits to people because they aren't part of that "culture". These people are only making the problems with segregation and xenophobia worse. Im sorry, but it's fucking stupid to the degree that I too want to "hit my head against the wall".

#19 Formality, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  20. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The thing is, cultural appropriation, or the idea of it, really started as people taking something SACRED. Like, taking the highest symbol of status (Like a specific article of clothing) in a Native American tribe and sticking it on a naked woman.

I can totally get how something like that would be offensive. It's not so much that they want (in this situation) to keep thier culture to themselves, it's that someone disgraced and sexualized a sacred part of thier culture. That I can respect.

The problem is tumblr has completely blown the subject out of proportion, to the point where ANYTHING seems to be cultural appropriation.