1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaEsmeralda, Sep 16, 2016.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm only 17, and I've only ever had alcohol around my parents, so I don't drink very often. However, I find I get very excited whenever I'm offered alcohol and I'm always ready to jump at the opportunity. Considering other habits I have, I worry addiction may be a problem for me, so for now I'm trying not to have alcohol much when it's available to me. I may decide to stop drinking all together. I don't know yet, but I understand the fear there.
    Something that may help that I do is that whenever I'm feeling sad, I absolutely avoid alcohol even if it's offered to me. I make that a hard rule for myself so that I never feel like I can go to it as a resort when I'm feeling down or like I want to distract myself, so I don't get hooked on that crutch.

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am no expert, but that doesnt sound like a healthy attitude towards alcohol. I would be very careful. If you make a habit of it now you will miss it when you're in university. Maybe start by having a smaller portion of it each day and ween yourself off of it that way? Just be careful x

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I have a very unhealthy relationship with alcohol but at least I don't drink it alone and I'm capable of limiting myself when I set myself a specific limit.

4. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My drinking has almost always been limited to special occasions. I will sometimes order a cocktail at a restaurant, but even that's fairly rare. For the most part, I only drink at New Year's, 4th of July, and a couple other parties throughout the year. Granted, at most of these occasions I do tend to go hard: I don't drink because I love the taste of alcohol, I drink because I like to get shitfaced with friends. I generally drink hard liquor mixed with something; gin is my favorite. :slight_smile:

It has actually been since 4th of July that I've had a drop of alcohol.

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I barely drink any alcohol and I never drink by myself alone. If I do drink, it's like one or two glass of something only (no shots though, just the more "regular" beer or wine). I do have the habit of trying new stuff though, just a sip of something I haven't tried before.

As alcohol is a carcinogen, I'm glad I drink little to nothing. =]

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I used to drink really heavily 2-4 times a week. I may have had a problem :/ But anyway, I sorted myself out a bit, and now I'll have maybe 2 drinks one or twice a week, depending.

I drink mainly cider, but I will drink pretty much anything else.

#26 ForNarnia, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As of now, I drink on special occasions. Which, averaged out, would probably amount to one drink every 2-3 weeks.

8. AlamoCity

I've never been drunk. I maybe drink 1-2 drinks when I go to a friend's house to watch a game or BBQ.

Hard cider is my drink of choice, though I will have whiskey or rum and coke.

Cooking wise, I will use spirits and wine when cooking. I made some shrimp with a chardonnay sauce just a few days ago, but ended up dumping most of the bottle. The shrimp picked up some awesome flavors from the wine (only used oil, Chardonnay and herbes de Provence mix) I did serve myself a small glass (I have some old fashioned Waterford glasses for white wine that probably only hold 4 ounces TOTAL :lol:.).

9. CozyToes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wine - generally white but red if with food. I know I drink too much - if a bottle gets opened the cork goes in the bin. I enjoy the taste and use it to relax while reading a good book and listening to music. Yes I do try and cut down - do the dry January etc - mostly to prove to myself I can. But yes it is addictive and with any drug you have to be careful and there are consequences - weight gain, cancer, etc. But life is about choice and you deciding what is right for you.

10. Formality

Depends on the circumstances. When I was living in Austria I was drinking maybe 3 times a week, some time more heavily than others. Some days I only had a few beers, some days I got shitfaced. Right now I drink maybe 2 glasses of wine and a cocktail on fridays and saturdays, and if I'm having a rough day I might have a drink in the evening to wind down. I very rarely drink heavily.

According to multiple studies, drinking a little bit can be healthier than abstaining completely. But it's a fine line. One glass of wine every other day can be good for you.

#30 Formality, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  11. nightshift

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I drink 2-3 times a week (mostly weekends) with the intention of getting drunk. I think it's just about on the borderline of 'too much' while still being a small enough amount to not interfere with my job/daily life. I do rum and beer usually, unless I go out then whiskey gets tossed into the mix.

Saying no can get tough when I've already had my mind set on relaxing via alcohol. I've thought about cutting it out but I enjoy the reprieve from my constant anxiety too much to actually do it.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a light drinker. I love mixed drinks and other fruity gay drinks but I can also drink beer.

13. greeneyes

I would be careful of this statement. Regardless of whether or not you have a 'problem' with alcohol or can relate to a certain label (alcoholism), you are using alcohol and other things to fill a metaphorical hole. I say this with zero judgment - while I don't drink, do drugs, or smoke, I have a very difficult time avoiding binge-eating, so this is all said with a lot of sympathy and empathy.

As someone mentioned, alcohol is in fact a depressant, and it often works in a way that you feel the effects of depression not the next morning but the morning after that.

I would say try spending 5 days journaling every food and drink you consume and having NO alcohol. Every time you write something down, also write down your mood. By the end, see how you feel. I've found that finding a way to be accountable is very helpful. It sounds like you're already doing that, so bravo to you.

I guess what you'll have to figure out is - is this a symptom of something else (other things going on in life), or is it another problem or a cause.

14. PrettyinPunk

How often do you drink? Daily? Weekly? On special occasions?

I very rarely drink. So much so I would say special occasion is still too frequent. I used to drink more when I was a teenager but realized it wasn't that fun for me. I'm actually more fun and crazy sober so meh.

What sort of alcohol do you drink? How much do you drink on a single occasion?

I like wine coolers and yummy mixed drinks, either that or hard stuff like rum and whisky. Don't care for wine or beer much. I drink until I've had enough, and I've never been drunk to the point of blacking out or not knowing where I'm at. I can hold my own though, I normally reach my limit when I start getting sleepy.

Have you ever worried that you might have a problem saying no to alcohol?

No. Alcoholism runs in my family. Its ruined some of their lives and killed them too. I don't have that problem. Even in my darker moments, I never relied on alcohol.

Have you ever considering cutting alcohol out completely?

Well I pretty much have, since its so rare I drink. But if someone were to say "starting tomorrow you can't ever have alcohol again" I'd be like "ok". Definitely could go without. I gotta say, I am excited for my special eggnog come Thanksgiving.

15. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not now, not later, not ever. While I've never had any myself I've observed the effects it has on others firsthand and to say I'm uninterested is an understatement. Especially with my bad health the way it is. These notes include others of similar innate DNA structure, of course.

I'm sure fun at parties, huh? It is necessary to have at least one sober individual to drive the rest home... but I can't drive anyway because I'm too fearful. And I don't go to parties. So that's a thing.

16. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Alcohol only takes the hurt away for a little while, don't drink much anymore, maybe a six pack every two months..

17. timo

Hmm alcohol <3 My drinking habits are quite unhealthy actually - this is a city where you become either an alcoholic or a drug addict :grin:

I drink almost every day. During the week just one or two beers (or nothing), either at home watching a film/tv, or with friends in a bar. In weekends, I usually drink a bit more (but yesterday I only had 3 beers while my friends got shitfaced, yay for me).

I don't drink hard liquor anymore cause it makes me feel bad. Except for gin, gin is good. I usually stick to beer or gin-tonics.

Sometimes I feel like I should drink less (and actually, I do drink less now than I did a few months ago) but I'm not cutting it our completely - beer is too tasty for that.

18. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

To be honest I rarely drink... I've just never really got into alcohol as apart from cider I don't like the taste. Or, as my family would say "your palate hasn't matured". Being around family who are obsessed with booze also has helped to put me off- they can't enjoy a night out or a meal without a drink!

And since I dont drink often I tend to get tipsy pretty quickly which makes it less expensive for me when I do wanna go out and get hammered :lol:

Saying that I'm not one of those people who hated alcohol and constantly lectures people about it- it doesn't bother me that other people drink a lot, although I tend to get judged as boring and stuff if I tell people I don't drink much, so usually I keep it a secret!

#38 RainydayTofu, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2016
  19. eMei

I think alcohol has disgusting effects on people. I don't see the pleasure in getting drunk. It destroys lives.

One or two is fine, anything more is just pointless.

20. Joelouis

I can't stand the taste of alcohol, so I don't touch it.

I used to try and fit in with a lot of my friends when I was eighteen or so and get a crate of lager for us to drink, but it'd often end up bad. Most of my friends just wanted to fight whoever was in front of them, and I'd just get temporarily depressed. It'd also give me a sour mouth, so to speak, and I'd be very rude to people.