1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Crisalide, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    <<Choirmasters consider me a soprano even if I'm not. I'm not feeling I'm soprano. I am biologically soprano, but I wish so much I were contralto. Always wished, and even pretended to be (unsuccesfully). Choirmasters recognize my biological voice, but not my heart's voice.>>
    Hmm... anything familiar? Sounds like gender-drama. "Sounds" literally, haha.
    I think I have dysphoria about my voice. Since five years ago, I talk and sing deeper than natural, and feel guilty for it. I would like to sing in a "serious" way, so ruining my voice because of non-cisgenderism sounds so stupid and so… true.
    I think I've already ruined it. My deeper notes are dull because I'm a soprano, my higher notes are unreachable because I deformed myself trying to sing the deep ones. Yay.
    Transforming my body, deforming my body, moulding my body harshly. Sounds like self-destruction tendencies, sometimes. If my body doesn't let itself be moulded, I will deform it with violence. Shit.

2. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I... definitly know this type of dysphoria myself... I've even been avoiding voice chat on skype with anyone other than my trans/lgbt friends because of my voice.

I've even tried to harmonize/match the voice of, Glados in the Portal 2 credits music. Thankfully I can do that, but my voice still reverts to the male one when talking any time other than right after singing along to that song. When I sing with that song... it's with the voice I wish I could always have.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I kind of know what you mean because when I was younger I pretended to be a contralto even though I was a soprano. I mean I guess I was lying to myself as well. Interestingly I believe this was one of my earliest sign of being trans. I was only thirteen at the time but I was not okay with having a high voice at all even though I clearly was (and still am) a soprano.

4. SystemGlitch

I feel very uncomfortable with my voice, especially around other people. In my head I tell myself "You're a guy, and it's your voice, so stop telling yourself you don't have a man's voice"... it works about as well as you'd expect it to. :bang: I also force my voice lower than it naturally falls when I speak in an attempt to pass better, but to be honest most of the time I think I just sound like I have a cold. When I'm around affirming people I tend to notice it less and don't try so hard to change it, though there is still that nagging thought of "nah, that's not how you're meant to sound, son..."

5. Spoopy Monster

Yeah, I do that too :/ I have the exact same result, unfortunately.