1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A full adult?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Robert, Sep 12, 2016.

?

At what age, in your mind, does a person become a fully feldged adult?

1. 16 or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 18

26.7%
  4. 19

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 20

20.0%
  6. 21

3.3%
  7. 22

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 23

3.3%
  9. 24

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 25

30.0%
  11. 26

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 27

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 28

3.3%
  14. 29

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 30

10.0%
  16. 31

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 32

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 33

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 34

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. 35+

3.3%
  1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At what age, in your mind, does a person become a fully fledged adult?

#1 Robert, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. AlamoCity

From a legal standpoint, 18 seems to be pretty set in stone in many countries, but in the US, you can't buy alcohol until 21 thanks to the fact that the federal government tied highway federal funds to whether or not states raised the drinking age to 21. Old enough to vote, old enough to join the military (and possibly die), old enough to be considered competent during the commission of a murder and executable, but not old enough to go to a bar :lol:. There would be many issues to fix if we were to change the age of majority and it is a nice number that coincides with the end of high school, but perhaps it wouldn't be a terrible idea to, in some aspects, raise the age of majority to 21 and also increase the length of time that education is free (and perhaps compulsory).

-------------

I think I read males reach maturity around 25 and females a bit earlier.

Brain Maturity Extends Well Beyond Teen Years : NPR

Most car rental companies won't rent or severely limit doing business with people under the age of 25. Insurance rates for guys drop

It would actually be interesting to know how quickly brains of trans people mature vis-a-vis cis people.

Is There Something Unique about the Transgender Brain? - Scientific American

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From a neuroscientific point of view, the average person reaches full maturity by early to mid-twenties. So in that regard, when someone is at both their physical and mental prime (around 25), I would consider them to be a "full fledged" adult.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Neurologically I guess it's 25. I thought it was around late 20s until I looked it up hm. Seems uncertain though.

Socially, I think it highly depends on the person. I have friends that have moved out and live completey independently and here I am living at home dependent on my parents still. Never moved out. Completed undergrad commuting to a university nearby.

5. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can I just say, at 24 I didnt really feel like an adult, but now at 25 I definitely do. Brace yourself :lol::lol::wink:

6. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am only slowly beginning to feel like an adult at age 30. :lol:

#6 HappyGirlLucky, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  7. AlamoCity

That's an interesting point you bring up, but it would also raise the question of: if hormones really change the brain, then are trans peoples' brains truly and inherently that of their true gender or more of a byproduct of hormone therapy. This could be important because it could lead to a backlash since many trans activists say that the brain of a trans person has always been that of their true gender identity.

As much as I am curious for that answer, it could lead down a rabbit hole I don't want trans debates to go down to (for fear it could create issues for trans rights).

8. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I withdrew my original statement because I didn't want to go down this rabbit hole, but here we go. :lol:

I think you could still argue the brain has always been of that gender, as hormones do not change the gender, only the structure of the brain. Opposite sex hormone treatment does not work to change the gender of cis people, but it will change their brain structure significantly too.

I would argue that the whole "trans people are more of a third gender and not actually really the gender they say they are" assertion this man makes would be much worse for trans rights than studying this more in-depth and finding out that the brain matches only partially before hormones and much more after a significant time on hormones. I think it is a bit early to make such statements and definitely not good for trans rights to say that they have a "transsexual brain" and not a male or female brain, because the brain differs a lot from person to person for a variety of reasons and a study done on 28 trans people with 30 controls is hardly enough. It would be like saying lesbians do not have a female brain, they have a "lesbian brain" because it differs significantly from straight female brains in certain areas and is much more closely related to straight male brains in those parts. Vice-versa for gay men.

I doubt even after hormone therapy the brain would match entirely, since trans people have experienced a lot of things cis people have not and I am sure if hormone treatment is started after puberty has started that there are some irreversible effects from the initial hormones. Not necessarily anything changing gender or personality, but there are bound to be differences as they have gone through a very traumatic experience from a very young age.

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't it depend on what you mean by "adult?" If you are talking about physical maturity, that seems pretty straight-forward, but many people I've known haven't reached what I would consider adult mental and emotional maturity well beyond age 25 - if they ever reach it at all. :eusa_doh:

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well crap. If I get accepted to a graduate school this year I will likely need to move out, so it's probably true.

11. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    mid to late 20s honestly with today's society

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say it really depends with each person.

I feel pretty independent and confident in my abilities to live as an adult with the responsibilities I got. I know that people always said I acted older than my age, however.

On the other hand, I know plenty of people who are about my age who act like 12 years old. They have no emotional maturity and would honestly be terrible on their own. They still need their parents for everything. Heck, I'd say my own siblings fit this description, and they're quite a lot older than I am.

Then, I know people who are only slightly older than me who already have kids, a house (or apartment) and a spouse to settle down with.

13. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on the person.
    It's not 18 for me, though! I am no way in hell a full adult. :lol:

14. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the situation. My sister is 21 and still expects Mom to cook for her, drive for her (she's too scared to even study for the permit test), spend time with her, etc. It's hard for me to consider her adult even though she legally is one. I'm 26 and still live with my parents, but that has more to do with money management and not being able to afford moving out. I try to act independent and think I could handle living alone, but my Mom still wants to baby me and do everything for me, which has stunt my (and my sister's) growth significantly.

#14 Creativemind, Sep 13, 2016
  15. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, like others have said- it vastly depends on what your definition of an “adult” is. After all, you do get cases where although someone is physically mature, they still have the mental age of a child- and not in the endearing sense of “young at heart” but rather in the sense of they may have difficulty functioning through day-to-day life.

However, if we are referring to the expected development of a person, it can vary by culture and also upbringing can play a part. Now in the UK, I’d say it goes like this-

0 to 2 years old- Understandably no control, adults look after them and the child is dependent on others. May rebel to some extent (think “terrible twos”- a common phrase referring to trouble-making two year olds). Language starts to form.

3 to 7 years old- Basics skills are learnt, and social bonds start to strengthen that are outside the child’s family group. People don’t tend to remember much about what happened to them before they were eight, but this is still an important time as this is when a child starts to form their own life outside of their parents/guardians.

8 to 10 years old- Is usually the stage where kids feel like they are responsible and mature, and may feel some superiority over the people that are younger than them. I know I certainly felt that way when I was that age, as we were often given leadership roles over the younger years, which although was somewhat irresponsible of the school as there would sometimes be times of little to no supervision, did teach us some hard life lessons. Probably not the right ones, or in the right way but er…

I think it’s an age where you start to learn how to look after others, and learn when you should and when you shouldn’t put yourself first.

11 to 12 years old- tends to be a shock to the system. You go from being the oldest class, with the most power and the coolest seats, to the youngest and therefore the most vulnerable year. You start to learn about who to trust, how to adapt, and also new social situations. It’s also the first time that relationships get brought up properly- so there’s the stress of that, and the lessons are harder. It’s also when puberty starts to hit, although it can start earlier or even later- it naturally varies for person to person.

13 years old- means one thing, the start of the dreaded teenage years. It’s considered a milestone age, like ten is for hitting the double-digits. Although thirteen seems like a bigger deal as it’s the age that everyone tells you about.

For me, the moodiness thing was definitely true, although I started being moody at twelve really. It’s when you can joke about being a scary teenager, and you wonder what there is to come.

14 years old- at this point, you may have some freedoms. Generally, though, you can’t do much.

15 years old- for me, that was the age where the people around me who were close to sixteen would brag about the fact they were nearly sixteen.

16 years old- Another milestone, one where you can now learn to ride a moped and depending on the type of six form/College you go/went to, you may get to ditch the school uniform and start calling the teacher by their first name.

You start being treated like an equal, and people start caring about your opinion all of a sudden. You start getting to decide on more things, and class starts to feel more like an open discussion then some kind of punishment. Or at least, for me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

People start referring to you as “almost an adult” and life feels pretty free. It’s also the age of consent in the UK.

There’s also more variation in the age group you hang around with, and more time allocated to working from home.

You can also start buying lottery tickets at sixteen.

17 years old- My current age. I tend to get referred to as an adult or “practically an adult”, although my friends who are eighteen and nineteen like to make fun of me, teasing me by calling me “the child” but it’s all just banter really. You can learn to drive at this age if you want, although I haven’t so far.

Socially, although you are suddenly more trusted at sixteen, it’s usually considered to be eighteen when you are an adult. I remember reading somewhere, that in terms of physical development, for women they tend to finish puberty at 17/18 years old, whereas for men it’s more like 18/19 years old. Although mentally women tend to become mature earlier than men.

In terms of the more mental side of things, it tends to be mid to late twenties.
    Some people take to more adult roles faster than others, heck I know people that I knew from Secondary school who now have kids of their own. Not that I’m judging them, I’m just surprised.

I guess it depends what you consider to be maturity. I don’t know about you, but one of my fears right now is “what if I don’t make anything of myself? What if I’m stuck with my parents?”. I have the kind of parents that are always going on about “When I was your age, I had a bank job!”, “When I was your age/younger than you, I did… *insert accomplishment here*”. I just don’t want to be a disappointment, and I want to get somewhere for my own sake.

In fact, this thread made me think about a film I saw recently about a guy who refused to leave fourth/third grade, was 23, and his parents were trying to get rid of them, and there’s this scene where this woman (similar age as the guy) who asks if he’s in the house, and the parents throw confetti on her and wish her a happy marriage and give her a blender as a wedding gift.

When she explains that she just came over to talk to him, they start begging her “No, please- just take him, we want to turn his room into a gym, and plus think about how much we’ll save on electricity bills!”. :lol:

I laughed so hard at that scene, because it was just so beautifully overacted- but also slightly true. I remember when my sister used to go to University, and my parents turned her room into a gym room- so that bit is pretty spot on.

In conclusion? Hmm… I guess it’s hard to say. I mean, if you go by a numerical sense then eighteen, and nineteen would both fit into the “teenage” category since they are both numbers in the teen numbers. However, eighteen is often thought to be the start of adulthood. I could see why some people would class it as 25.

To me, ideally a good adult is someone who can trusted to make informed decisions, willing to listen to constructive criticism and change if needed (although not stand for BS criticism that isn’t helpful), understands the basics of how the world works (basic knowledge on politics, how public transport works and public systems work) and most importantly- able to function on their own if needed. However, this does not necessarily make them infallible, no one is after all.

I plan on making a separate thread later discussing the previously mentioned film, and how the media represents the idea of maturity. Sorry for the long post, I have a tendency to do that. :icon_redf

16. Joelouis

I didn't subject I a poll choice because I just couldn't decide. I think it differs for everyone.
    Though I am an adult, sometimes I kind of forget.

Thinking a bit deeper now, you can argue that you only stop being a child when you have no parents left alive.

17. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By that logic, my mum is an adult and my dad is yet to become one. Taken out of context that last sentence would be a bit concerning.

:eusa_thin

But I get what you mean though, by people's definitions varying.

#17 Canterpiece, Sep 13, 2016
  18. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    By definition, 18 is the age you become "an adult." Mileage may vary. :lol:

No but seriously, I'm 24 but I don't really feel like an adult yet. I'm engaged, have my own place miles from my family, I'm in college, I work... but I feel like I'm playing a role more than anything.

Legally, you're an adult at 18, but I don't really think anyone takes you seriously until you're like, 25. :grin:

Although to be fair, I know a lot of people who matured very quickly and have accomplished more at a younger age than I have now...

Haha I hope that kicks in when I turn 25 in March! :lol:

19. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't feel much like an adult until after college. Being 18 is one milestone, but gambling and drinking are still restricted, so 21 would have to be earliest for "full-fledged" status, yet it wasn't until I was 22, out of college, and earning my own rent (though I was quickly back in college) that I felt more like an adult. Now at 25 I feel positively old. -_-

20. Psaurus918

I strongly feel that it depends on the person. Everyone's brains develop differently.

I picked 25