1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by LaEsmeralda, Sep 11, 2016.

1. LaEsmeralda

I looked back a few pages and couldn't see a Star Wars thread, so thought I'd get one started.

I loved the Force Awakens. I don't think I can physically wait for Episode VIII. I know Rogue One is coming out in December but the trailer didn't really excite me much. WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT A WHOLE YEAR :tears:

What was your favourite Star Wars film? How would you rank them from best to worst?

Who is the best character?

What do you think will happen in Episode VIII? What do you think it will be titled?

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Favourite film? Empire Strikes Back - darker than the rest, established firmly what Star Wars is at its best/at its heart. Loads of reasons!

Favourite character? With the addition of the new canon books, Leia has become even better. I still love Han and Boba Fett though! (And Thrawn... and Maul because of the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons).

In Episode VIII? A split focus (like all SWs films, I guess), on Leia and the Resistance (including Poe and Finn); Rey and Luke; and some First Order drama hopefully(?) I'd like the Dark Side to 'strike back' in some unexpected way. Snoke and Kylo aren't Sith, so maybe we could see some interesting developments here...
    Title? I like 'Echoes of the Dark Side', which has been rumoured, but 'Fall of the Resistance' also sounded intriguing.

Captain Phasma needs to decimate some Resistance troops to take back her street cred.

I'm personally looking forward to Rogue One just as much as I'm looking forward to everything Star Wars - Rebels is back soon and there's always more novels out.

What do you think?

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have only seen the original 3, plus the 3 prequels.

I think my vote overall probably goes to A New Hope. There is something that feels really right about that movie, even though there is more depth and weight in later episodes. The second place is Return of the Jedi, which has that better depth. Plus Luke is a more interesting character. He has aged, and evolved. But the killer for me is the plot meanders--I am a fan of the rescue of Han Solo. (Not that I didn't want him rescued. But if it had been my decision, he'd have never been captured. I think the whole subplot just distracts from the larger story. But that's just me.)

As for favorite character...who knows? Several of them are interesting. The most interesting, though, I think is Obi Wan. He has wisdom and experience. Luke is also interesting--particularly the way he evolves as the series goes on. He goes from boy who hates his home planet to Jedi Knight.

#3 BMC77, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  4. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I loved Ep 7! I like the idea of Rogue One and it should be good, but I can't wait for 8!

My favorite is Empire, because of the darkness and grit, but mostly cause it ends on a dark note, which is something a lot of movies seem to struggle with.

My favorite character is tougher to pinpoint, as I enjoyed most of them(except Jar Jar), but I'd actually have to say Wedge. I always loved the fighter action in SW, and Wedge was the everyman. He wasn't a Jedi, or a Princess, or a badass rebel like Han. No, he was just a soldier with a job to do, and he did it. He was badass BECAUSE he was just a regular guy who had a skill that he used to help bring down an empire. Also Lando is awesome, I hope he shows up in 8!

As far as the new characters, Poe and BB-8. I have a huge crush on Oscar Isaac, and Poe has a similar dynamic to Wedge. Badass pilot just doing his job. And BB-8 of coarse is just plain adorable....

5. killswitch0029

The original film, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were the only ones I enjoyed. Didn't care for any of the other movies in the series (IMO starting with the Phantom Menace the movies got worse and worse)

6. Lambeau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Favorite film: the original three are all pretty close, but I'd probably say A New Hope. I'd rank them like this...

1. A New Hope
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Phantom Menace

I don't have a favorite character, although I liked what I saw of Rey in TFA.

7. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it probably makes me sound like a "fake fan", but I'd have to say the new one was my favorite. There were plenty of calls to the originals that really did them justice, while still standing alone as a new adventure.

I can't really make any predictions for Episode VIII. I'd really hope they would elaborate more on Rey's backstory, and show more of the friendship/romance between Finn and Poe (they're totally gay. C'mon guys.). I'd also be interested in seeing them explore more of Leia's grief and how she handles things.

Also, did I mention my huge crush on Daisy Ridley? Because that is definitely a thing.

8. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My fave. was the Holiday Special.. It really showed how much Starwars meant to the families/fans out there, as well as the amazing acting and star studded cast; I found myself consistently pulled in by it's great and most of all touching lovable characters. Truly one for the history books.

I think the new one's going to be a flop, I don't see many memorable characters and it just looks kind of whitewash.

A. SIHT SI ERITAS, LLIHC

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I'm one of the few who appreciated the prequels as a kid, I didn't really know much about what was truly going on but the Droid forces always mystified me. My real question was "After the control ships went down, why didn't anyone go scoop up those droids and their awesome vehicles?" it would have pieced them better to the originals as far as the movies go if the Rebels used the remaining CIS droids in their armies, they are programmed to blast troopers after all.

To this day, I still attempt to re-create the Droid vehicles in as many games as possible. It's a neat hobby. Saw someone with a life-sized replica of a B1 and I'm too jealous.

Aside, I have to say I was quite impressed with The Force Awakens, I was a bit worried considering Disney might make it stray too far from itself but color me surprised. If I wasn't dirt broke for a little while I'd love to go to a con dressed as Phasma.

Unsure how I'd rank them in all honesty, but as far as the next goes I'd love to see some unexpected plot twists. Maybe somebody was a double agent all along, maybe Luke is secretly attempting to become the Emperor?

As far as a favorite character... Jar Jar Binks. Hah, I'm joking.

It'd have to be R2-D2. I mean, he's the most vulgar character in film history. They bleeped out every last word he's ever said! Hah, love the little guy. Has so much character for somebody you just have no idea what they're saying.

10. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I liked The Force Awakens, but it was a bit too similar to A New Hope. Not really looking forward to Rogue One, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and it turns out to be great.

My favourite movie? I'm going to admit to my unpopular opinion and say my fave is Revenge of the Sith. I'd rate them:

1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Empire Strikes Back
    7. The Phantom Menace

Favourite character would probably be Ben Skywalker, if I'm allowed EU characters. If not, then I'll go with C-3PO.

11. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I really enjoyed the Force Awakens and I cannot wait for Rogue One, the trailer looks sooo good. My order of films is like this:
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Empire Strikes back
    • Force Awakens
    • New Hope
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • the other 2.....

12. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Original Trilogy FTW.

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Revenge of the Sith

And there are no other movies.

13. LaEsmeralda

I agree with you about Finn and Poe - I think I'll walk out of the cinema if I don't get some romance angle between these two in the next film. I mean, I probably won't. But they can't bait me with this obvious sexual tension and then make them two straight boys.

Leia was vastly underused in Force Awakens. There are apparently a whole load of deleted scenes with her that didn't make the final cut. Carrie Fisher's acting was a bit strange though. Her upper lip barely moved while she spoke. Maybe the director didn't want too much of it in there.

Han Solo is my favourite character, followed by Luke and Leia (joint). I need to see the new characters in more movies before I can appreciate them as much as the original trio.

My ranking of the films goes like this:

1. A New Hope
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Force Awakens
    4. Return of the Jedi

I don't like the prequels one iota.

14. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What was your favourite Star Wars film? How would you rank them from best to worst? I would rank them:
    Return Of The Jedi
    Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Phantom Menace
    (Haven't seen latest one because my sister told me all about it and it doesn't appeal to me)

Who is the best character? I like Han, Leia, Luke and Darth Vader (definitely not Boba Fett, the most overrated character ever to exist in any galaxy)

What do you think will happen in Episode VIII? What do you think it will be titled? No clue!

15. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars (movie)

Favorite character? I like Han Solo and Jango Fett a lot. Poe is the hottest SW character, hands down though.

I have no idea what the next one will be about, but I hope it has more Poe <3

16. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    1) The Force Awakens
    2) The Empire Strikes Back
    3) Revenge of the Sith
    4) A New Hope
    5) Attack of The Clones
    6) Return of the Jedi
    7) The Phantom Menance

I'm probably one of the few people out there that actually liked the prequels haha.
    I'm also a huge fan of the animated shows.

Favorite characters are hard... I'm a big fan of Leia, Chewbacca, Ahsoka, Ezra, Rey, and Hondo
    My least favorites are probably Jar Jar, Lux Bonteri, and I feel like a large majority of the fan base has ruined Kylo Ren for me
    (Noticed a lot of these are animated characters... Oh well)

#16 Lightsaberpearl, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  17. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Uhh, YEAH I LOVE STAR WARS!

Rey is one of my favorite characters in film, of all time! (SPOILER ALERT) When she force-grabbed the light-saber, I cried actual tears of joy, because it was so BADASS! I looked over to my best-bud and noticed that he also was shedding tears of joy.

I think Rey is genetically a Skywalker, but raised by a Kenobi. I also think Kylo is just faking it -- he's not really a bad guy. He's basically the Snape of Star Wars.

Can't wait for Rogue One! :grin:

18. LaEsmeralda

I think it would be really cool if Rey was the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. I like her a lot but I did think she had it easy in Force Awakens. How was she more powerful with a light sabre than Kylo Ren when he was older and had been received official training for years? How was she able to master the force in such a short period of time? Like I said, I still think she's cool, but it would be really interesting if she was so good at all of it because she had already done it all. In Anakin Skywalker's body. Would explain why his lightsaber bypassed his grandson and went straight to her too.

19. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The ending of Force Awakens isn't the first time she's ever wielded a light saber. Rey has clearly been trained in the ways of the Force. Kylo was suffering from a severe injury from the blast he took from Chewy's bow. Plus, he was trying to recruit Rey, so maybe he didn't want to kill her?

20. LaEsmeralda

I think my theory works better. Finn is a trained soldier and Kylo beat him easily even with the wound. Rey is a young woman, small and slim and though we saw her skilled with her staff at the start of the movie, Kylo Ren is twice her size and much stronger. Being trained briefly as a very young child doesn't equate complete force training. Anakin Skywalker however was a powerful warrior and experienced with the force.

I don't want a big discussion about how it's plausible that she beat him by the way. This is just a theory that I'd like to see in the next movie. There's enough Rey vs. Kylo Ren arguments over the internet. Let's agree to disagree.