1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eczema, any tips?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mariana, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally unrelated to sexuality and gender, but maybe someone can still help.

I have eczema and I'm really struggling with it right now. I've had it since early puberty and it got quite bad from time to time, but it got a lot better since the end of puberty. For a couple years or so I had barely any symptoms. But this summer my skin is acting up again. I'm pretty sure that the reasons behind this are mostly stress-related, but the heat isn't helping either.

The biggest problem is that I often wake up in the middle of the night because I'm scratching my arms. I don't know what to do about that because I obviously can't control what I'm doing while I'm sleeping. So my skin can't really heal because I scratch when I sleep.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm going to get an appointment with a dermatologist but where I'm from, you often have to wait 3-6 weeks for an appointment and I can't just go without an appointment because I'm insanely stressed and busy right now.

Stupid vicious circle where my skin is bad because I'm stressed, that makes me more stressed, and that makes my skin worse :tears:

2. Garm147

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! I have, from times to times, eczema in my arms and leg. Don't know if where you live you have this but i use Bepanthene® Eczema ( witn no prescription) or Locoid Lipocream.
    Hope you get better.

3. PrettyinPunk

I suddenly developed eczema a few years ago when I was very sick and my body was inflammed from autoimmune related issues. I went to the dermatologist where he said it was a common thing and happens a lot in the winter when it's dry. It was mid July when I went plus I never had it before. Anyway he prescribed a cream to help. It did help a little but I'd continue to get the eczema in new places.

Finally I realized the eczema was linked to my diet and when I changed it the eczema immediately cleared up.

I'd still recommend a dermatologist trip but if the medicine doesn't work, I'd take a look at what your eating or any other chemicals your putting on/in your body.

4. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See if you can get a prescription for hydrocortisone cream from your doctor. You can get the not-as strong kind over the counter: the brand name is Cortizone-10.

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Keeping fingernail real short (I know, easier for guys) ? Sleep with long-sleeve t-shirt? Bit extreme but sleep with white cotton gloves?

Also look at laundry detergents or shower soap as a possible irritant, in addition to the emotional triggers common with many autoimmune conditions.

6. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My boys both have it. Try aveeno baby lotion or coconut oil. Aquaphor also works too.

7. TraceElement

Definitely try and get some Aveeno eczema lotion or hydrocerin cream. maybe a zyrtec or Claritin (over the counter allergy pills) may help with the night time itching. it may be worth your while to see if your body wash or laundry soap irritate your skin any further.