1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you want to emigrate?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaEsmeralda, Sep 8, 2016.

1. LaEsmeralda

Thought it would be interesting to look at forum members who want to move countries, where you are from and where you want to go :slight_smile:

Or indeed if you live in a rather large diverse country - like the States - do you want to move to a different province/state/city?

Is there a reason why?

Alternatively, if you are perfectly happy where you currently live, you are welcome to post too!

I'll start. I'm from Northern Ireland (UK) and I'd like to move to Dublin (Republic of Ireland) when I graduate, as there are more jobs there. I'm also entertaining the idea of living in Vancouver (Canada) for a year or two. I visited a short time ago and fell in love :slight_smile:

2. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm from Missouri, as my thing says. For one, I want to move to California for acting school/more acting opportunities.

...But, also because of tension in current political affairs around here, I kinda wanna move to Canada...or...a lot of places besides the US.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm from Quebec and I'd be interested in getting a double nationality with a European country (Finland or Czech Republic sound nice). If people here don't wake up and stop voting for the same crooks, I won't just accept it and do nothing. I'll actually move out. The elections of 2018 will probably help me decide whether or not it's worth it to stay here.

4. GayPugs

I'm from America and I'd really love to go live in France, Canada, or England!

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm from the USA but grew up traveling all across the world. I'd love to frequent the UK, and perhaps Japan. I would have to go in person and live there a bit before being able to say with confidence if I'd like to live there long term.

So I'm aiming for a college that has study abroad programs.

6. eMei

I'm from England and I'd like to live in the U.S, somewhere like Philadelphia.

7. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm from India I'd like to explore NA , Europe, SA , Australia and NZ and find a good place to settle down.

8. I'm from California. The politics and the cost of living here aren't really my favorite.

I would move to Washington State. It has a rapidly-growing economy, it's an excellent state for chemical engineers (pays well in relative to cost of living), no income tax, better gun rights (much easier to get concealed carry permit), still LGBT-friendly, and great weather in my opinion.

9. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm from Texas, and I'm definitely moving, probably to Oregon. It's much colder and rainier. It'd be nice to move father though... I like the idea of Ireland or Scotland (my family is largely Gaelic in descent), or maybe a Scandinavian country. I like the sound of Iceland since it's rainy, cold, and dark. I am a very pale ginger and living somewhere as sunny as Texas is physically painful. I also don't do well in the heat. Although admittedly Iceland might be a bit extreme for avoiding the sun...

10. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm from the "Bible Belt" of the USA and I'd love to make it to Canada or Sweden, maybe somewhere in the Toronto area.

Less judgmental people/violence/hate crimes, more intellectual politics and secular establishments, better healthcare treatment, better gun control, restriction on hate groups like the WBC, colder weather, better laws and legal system, and the plummeted chance of getting murdered since I'd be normal there instead of being a walking bull's-eye.

All things I'd love to see be considered normal, it's really a fantasy at this point. A dream of mine to live peacefully beyond the border. Sure they've got their own problems as everywhere does, but they seem much more easy for someone like me to handle.

11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I've been wanting to move "seriously" ever since I was 12 or so. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm from the Netherlands and I'd like to move to New Zealand. =]

12. Jellyfish Clear

I am from the UK and I would like to move to the USA so I can pursue my dream of working for NASA.

13. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When my stepdad went to the USA, he hired a boat. He was stopped for speeding on the water as the speed limit was 5MPH or something and he didnt know. When he reached in to his jacket pocket to get out his identification the cop pulled his gun on him. My stepdad said hes never been so scared in his life. After the cop put his gun away, he proceeded to ask my stepdad if he was from Australia. :eusa_doh:

14. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm from Finland, but even though I love my country and the culture, our politicians are sinking this country, while our debt grows even bigger. Our government pays ridiculous amounts of money to refugees (I'm not racist nor trying to offend anyone), while a part of our own people are jobless, hungry and homeless. And even those, who got a job, don't get enough money, since the goverment are cutting the salary of many (low-paying) jobs (so we could get out from the debt), while our politicians are driving on the streets with new and fancy cars, which were payed for them from the taxes.

I would want to live here, but I'll probably going to move to Norway or Sweden, maybe even Canada when I'm older.

15. Doughmaster

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't live in USA so can't say much there but new Zealand's the best! We got everything legal and mince pies pies, mince pies everywhere!

16. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    New Zealand seems amazing to be fair. My boyfriend has been. Says it was beautiful.

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be an emigrant (particularly being an émigré as a political statement) is quite a large step step because it inherently involves being separated from one's social networks and culture, which often negates the benefits moving to a marginally more advanced country might intuitively have.

While I hope to study overseas at some point, I don't intend to emigrate permanently. Apart from the quality of life, good economic conditions and sophisticated political system in Australia which make it objectively a good place to live, I'm invested emotionally in this country and its culture. I hope to see the majority of my life play out here, to contribute to Australian society and to be proud of it as something that has shaped me and which I can in even the tiniest way help shape.

In terms of moving within Australia, I live and go to uni in Canberra, which is a rather small city dominated by the public sector. I want to move to a larger city for the social life as well as to start my career in the private sector, where I feel I'd be more valuable and be exposed to a broader view of the world, so I'll presumably move to Sydney or Melbourne after I've graduated. Both cities are beautiful, culturally unique, advanced in infrastructure, generally quite liveable and I have social networks in them, so it's more a matter of which is more convenient for work.

18. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    abs-o-lutely

I'm from indonesia, yes its nice over here but so much drawbacks and limitations.
    its my target to move to european country for master degree or to take a residency training. Already started to learn the language tho so i really wish that i can move within 2 years.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have mixed feelings...

I have lived here most of my life, so in some ways I'm rooted here. Moving can be a pain, too.

But I get a tired of the damp cold in winter (although maybe if I lived someplace decent I wouldn't care so much--a lot of my complaints might come down to living in a falling apart wreck of a place). I am also really, really tired of the cost of living, which is better than CA, but still pretty high for my income level.

A lot hinges on circumstances, too. If, hypothetically, I met Mr. Right, but for some reason he needed to move elsewhere, I'd be far more inclined to move than would be the case if it were just me.

As for a different country, that has and has had appeal at times. The Bush years were a period when Canada sounded nice. If Trump wins, I'd probably dream of Canada again.

20. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm from the UK but I want to move to Canada since I've got family over there and I've been 5 times (3 I can remember) so it won't feel weird but there's no easy access to teaching jobs over there like we have in the UK, so I'll probably end up staying here.