1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer spirituality?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Sorrel, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Sorrel

Hey!

I haven't visited here in awhile. Long story short: came out to myself as lesbian (and genderfluid) 1,5 years ago, my parents are supportive, haven't "told" friends + other family but I am dropping hints ever so often.

I visited a bookstore today - of the new age variety - and I'm really into energy work, body work, spiritual work at the moment. Found a book: "Your True Sexuality" (or some such title). Ok, great. But wait a minute. The author was straight, and seemed to only be talking to straight women. Um, hello?

Walked up to the counter.
    "Hi, do you have any queer books?"
    "Ah... nnno... what do you mean? Queer, as in strange?"
    "No, as in from an LGBT angle."
    "...No."
    She pretty much reacted as if this was the first time the thought had crossed her mind...

Books on queer spirituality... written by queers, for queers, about being queer and working with spiritual ideas from a queer experience + perspective...

Should exist, right? But where? This was the most well stocked new age bookstore in town.

Do you have any tips for me?
    Could be stuff other than books, too.

Thanks so much!

2. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Can't recommend anything as I have neither come across/ nor looked for this type of books. Great suggestion for a lgbt writer - don't know any unfortunately.
    From the lack of replies I guess there are not many interests in this area.
    See 0 replies for my recent 'manifest your thoughts' thread (haha)

3. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When you say lgbt spirituality I am reminded of two YouTube channels. One by Jordan Bach and other by manjinder Singh Sindhu.
    They have some videos on spirituality meant for lgbt. You could check that out.
    Yea resources for lgbt in the spirituality world seems scarce .

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2016 at 09:07 AM ----------

Sorry I didn't come across that thread, I've penned down my thoughts in it :slight_smile:

4. Sorrel

Thanks, Fighter694! Will definitely look it up.

Orcidea123, I found your thoughts on manifesting interesting, am pondering a reply :slight_smile:

I can recommend a book by Walter L Williams called The Spirit and the Flesh: Sexual Diversity in American Indian Culture. Great article here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/oct/11/two-spirit-people-north-america

Also, if you google "lesbian tantra", one or two lesbian tantra teachers will turn up.

Personally I am looking to heal my confusion surrounding my sexuality, process feelings, blocks and fears, and also trauma when it comes to sexuality and sex... but I can absolutely not follow somebody's advice who assumes that I'm straight or that everyone is or should be, and has no understanding of what it's like to "straight act" versus discovering one's true feelings.

Just thinking out loud :slight_smile: