1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I possibly title this...any comments welcome

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BenFreeman, Sep 4, 2016.

1. BenFreeman

I
    have struggled with dysphoria my whole life. I've never felt rooted in my gender and have come to believe that at some fundamental level I am male.
    The dysphoria
    has gotten perpendicularly worse since I hit my forties....for reasons I dont understand. I think about this every day: this body that does not seem like me...
    I feel
    emotionally stalled. I am not brave enough to actually do anything about it. But
    I dream
    and daydream
    on a daily basis: how good it would feel to be physically male. It almost makes me feel high.
    I'm stuck.
    I am Ben.
    I am not Ben.
    I want to be Ben.
    I cant be Ben.
    I am
    Ben

I'm stuck.
    And I dont trust counsellors so dont go there.

2. Mr B

In my experience, my therapist has been brilliant so far and he is helping me to feel empowered and validaded and less guilty and ashamed of myself. I feel that I am making real progress in my journey towards self-discovery. The only issue left now is of a practical nature, on how to approach the subject with those around me in a sensible way.
    Therapists (or counsellors) like any other profession, will have good, bad and ugly individuals. Researching is key: first finding the most authoritative professional body on your country, then you read about the specializations and certifications, then you can use the site's search tool to find people in the relevant field with the relevant specializations and certifications. Then you check their experience and approach to see if there is anyone that you really like, then you have one session to see how you go along. That's how I found mine and what really stood out was the way in which he described his approach, and I am really happy about him so far.

#2 Mr B, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. BenFreeman

Thank you for responding...
    The problem with therapists: My last counsellor broke down on me in a spectacular way and I was in shock for weeks afterwards...i just dont know if I can trust another human being again. I am anonymous here so its ok...but the power imbalance in a therapy session is huge...and my trust in the individual concerned was betrayed...
    it hurt...
    Now I am more embattled than ever and I cannot ask for help...
    I keep wishing I had somebody to talk to...but now I dont trust anybody.
    :bang:
    I don't know what to do.

4. Landgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sorry you are struggling, but based on my own experience I would like to encourage you to find another therapist.

Twenty years ago I went to see a therapist and developed a deep bond with her. She then had a nervous breakdown (I later discovered) but didn't tell me at the time. Instead, she told me I didn't need to see her any more because I was well now, and able to manage on my own.

I spent two years reeling from the shock of being dumped by someone who was supposed to be helping me, and twenty years assuming she must be right (because after all, she was one of the "experts"), and feeling really bad about myself because I didn't feel well at all.

Eventually I found my present therapist, who was absolutely horrified by what had happened to me, and has been extra careful with me as a result. It took me a year to trust her, but since then I have been able to see the progress I am making, and feel so much better about myself (and about therapists).

Based on my own experience, I believe that the sooner you find someone who can help you process what happened and show you not all therapists are like that, the better it will be. As Mr B says, if you research thoroughly, all you are committing yourself to is attending that first session. Hopefully it will go much better than you dared hope, and if it doesn't, then look again. If you don't like them, then work out why, and you then have more information with which to continue your search for someone who is the right fit for you.

I wish you all the very best.

5. BenFreeman

Thank you. I need to think a bit first. My head is going around and around like a dog chasing its own tail. Seeing a therapist is also expensive and I need to figure out a budget plan too. The counsellor who broke down was an el cheapo. I guess I got what I paid for...
    Thank you for telling me your story....that does encourage me some...:kiss:

6. August Silver

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate so much it hurts. As far back as I can remember I've known that I'm not like other girls and will never become a woman. Growing up, sexual orientations of bi and gay were already pretty well understood and accepted in my circles and my parents were open minded and had gay friends so that was never much of a problem (except for my bullies) but nobody knew much of anything about trans people and nobody talked about it. All I knew about were transvestites and they were mostly treated as a joke, sadly. So I figured that my anxiety about being a "girl" was maybe just because of my sexuality or just another thing that is wrong with me.

When I hit puberty and started menstruating I remember feeling this otherworldly dread, like I am irreversibly changed and nothing will ever be the same, knew everything would go downhill from there. I thought of it as a spiritual experience or something silly at the time but now I know it was the hormones I'm clearly not supposed to have. From that day forward I plunged deep into the depression and anxiety that would plague me well into my late 20s and that thing I now know is called gender dysphoria.

My problems with my identity and self-esteem made me easy prey for bullies at school so that was everyday for me. I saw myself as neither male nor female, but subhuman. I wanted to remove my breasts and tried to bind but failed due to lack of skill and materials. When I had my first huge crush on a man I didn't only think he's hot but also that I wanted to BE like him which confused me. All this made me suicidal and prompted my mother to seek professional help.

I've been to MANY counsellors, nurses, doctors, psychologists about my issues and there has been great variation in the quality of care. Some have been terrible while the majority have been very helpful... with everything except gender dysphoria. I remember awkwardly touching on the subject in my early teens but I expressed myself so poorly and they were so out of their depth that they all ignored it as a phase or symptom. So I moved into the closet and decided that if I force femininity I'll learn to accept myself...

I still don't know exactly how I made it to where I am now but with supportive friends, by lucky coincidences, perseverance and a strange chain of events that are another story entirely, I turned my life around and just last week I finally admitted to myself and others that there is no denying it. I'm a trans guy. No matter how well I do otherwise I will feel broken until I fix this. I may not be a stereotypical macho man but I am no less a man. I'm terrified of the people involved in the process denying me care and I fear that people will misgender me until I die even after HRT but I'm going to go for it. Have not figured out all the practical details and how much it may cost but yup, I'm going to live for me now.

Sorry for this turning out a bloody autobiography... But, well, hopefully you feel slightly less alone reading other stories (works for me) and... Never say never! If you feel like this and still can't shake it well into your 40s then you likely won't. There are professionals today who are not clueless about trans issues and will help. Just gotta find them.

7. BenFreeman

August Silver thank you so much...a biography is exactly what I needed...
    There is a great deal you have written that i identify with...adolescence was terrible:major depressions... I too tried to bind...lol...with a belt...I spent half my life wishing that I would get breast cancer so that I wouldn't have to explain my ardent desire for a flat chest to anybody...the mastectomy would be on the house...awful....I too had a sort of a guy crush: well it was never a physical attraction, but I would sort of become fascinated by certain males and ultimately realised that they were models of what I wanted to BE....yes i have that experience too. I have socially identified myself as lesbian, but deep down it has never ever felt like the truth, even though I am exclusively attracted to women...
    Unlike you I have no support...I have never told a soul(except 1 counsellor)...most people meeting me kinda assume I'm gay because of my dress habits and the ways I come accross...but they never guess at all of it...not even my friends!!!! They don't know, and they don't guess. I too am just not that macho...but a guy I am...
    My voice should be broken...I dont like sounding like a girl....my chest should be flat...I could go on...
    I just don't think I am gonna have the courage to go all the way or at least not now...but I have to find somebody to talk to....I have at this point lived most of my life like this...truly I don't know that I want to die like this. I will keep looking till I find somebody to talk to yes.
    Thank you for telling your story.:thumbsup:

8. August Silver

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Been there too with the breast cancer thoughts... and general lack of self worth.

One thing that made things easier for me to process was the way I chose to look at transitioning. No human life is static anyway, so I like to think that from the moment I stopped denying it, my transition began, even when I could just say that "I'm not cis." but not yet that "I'm trans." What you are doing now and what I did not so long ago is a huge step - sharing it with others. Even if it's strangers online. In my experience a big part of the effectiveness of psychotherapy comes from saying things to someone less or not at all involved and while doing so affirming the emotions and things you're going through at the same time to yourself. I'm not saying talking to any random person counts as therapy but it can have that therapeutic value. Support from peers, friends and family has been invaluable to me.

Do you have any friends or family who might possibly be understanding or is there any local support group you could check out? I've been thinking of contacting mine.. other trans guys might even have tips for finding doctors that can actually help. it's so much easier to deal with it when you're not alone.

I don't know about your country but as far as I know it's possible in mine to change gender socially and legally even without surgeries. Don't remember if HRT is a requirement. But what will be will be and what won't won't. One step at a time is a good way to go about things.

What scares you most about the idea of transitioning? For me it's doctors not believing me, not passing properly, people never quite adjusting to my new name and gender, and one of the higher up bosses potentially bullying me.

9. BenFreeman

There is an organization that I can contact....I have their number but I am still freaking out about the idea of going there...lol....its a BIG step out of my comfort zone...I feel like if I do that it will be like lighting a fuse...no turning back...thats because approaching an organization is one step more public than speaking in private to a counsellor.

What scares me most? You are gonna laugh. I cant tell my parents. They are in their eighties. I've been thinking I should wait until they die... but they are both VERY healthy!!!! I cant do this to them. Not at their age...oh god I cant. I never even told them I was gay (my socially acceptable lie). Only my friends and sister...not the parents.
    Seriously being old is challenging enough...I dont think its right for me to throw this in the mix.

Yep I also have a fear of not being believed. I am not macho...I am not into sport or mechanics or any of those traditionally male pursuits...actually I like the arts ...I like poetry for chrissake!!! . But still I feel male...

Yep my boss is going to be a problem too.

I neither know nor care what will change my legal status...it seems a non issue...the issue is the way I feel about my body...It's driving me nuts. Some times when I am feeling my body too much it really depresses me and then I have to go and sit by myself and tell myself over and over again that I do not have boobs..although I see them there, and so does everybody else...I have to imagine myself otherwise or I get too depressed..hey well some people smoke...

You are right though...the best attitude is just to go one step at a time....I do need to find people to talk to and soon....I started here....and with 1 counsellor (although that didnt work out)...when I am ready I will try that organization...am still too scared...basically of what I may be exposing myself to.

The number is on my phone...lol...I did look at it yesterday:lol::rolle:

10. August Silver

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The legal stuff only really counts to me because of my girly name and people calling me "miss" etc which make me dysphoric. I'm assuming people won't misgender as easily if one is officially male... though that assumption may be false. It's all so annoying and stupid, that people need to underline gender :frowning2: It's been easier with my breasts since I got a binder but I can't wear it all the time because that's painful and potentially dangerous. And my butt, thighs and voice are a constant reminder. Must get back to weight training...

I get what you mean about elderly people. My parents are part of the generation that is less likely to go batshit because of stuff like this. My dad may not know yet (public knowledge but haven't told him personally) so dunno what he thinks. Mum was mostly fine about it. But if my grandparents weren't all either dead or had Alzheimers I would worry about them finding out :/

The organisation sounds like just the thing, if they are people knowledgeable about LGBT+ issues. Hope you do get someone to talk to! I wouldn't necessarily completely give up on finding a good counsellor either. And on that subject, I'm slightly freaking out myself atm about how to go forward... I was introduced to a trans guy my friend knows so maybe he has some knowledge or encouragement. I've been told networking is good.

11. BenFreeman

That just reminds of of a song...all I want for christmas...is a binder...lol
    I have finally decided to get one...lo...l for xmas...mostly I've improvized with concoctions of sports bras (iggggh)...but I seem to have become allergic to the idea of bras :slight_smile:eek:slight_smile:
    Yes it does seem that you are ready to move forward and you are going to need encouragement from somebody who has gone the whole road. You told your mom...thats a big step...one I have not taken...but it tells me that you are ready. You will have to find out from your friend how to proceed medically ...where to go and such.
    Am very impressed you've told your mother...they have such a hold on us...
    :eusa_clap

12. August Silver

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mum is pretty cool, even if the first question she asked was "are you going to have some penis surgery now?" ... That shows how clueless even generally tolerant and open minded people are about trans folks. They fixate on the surgeries because that's the only aspect of it they can remotely understand. I don't suppose they know that not everyone even wants bottom surgery... Talking to that guy has been very helpful. I feel somewhat less worried. I now have an upcoming appointment to a doctor I hope will give me a referral to the local hospital's trans unit without having to explain a whole lot and beg for it. We'll see what happens, if anything.

#12 August Silver, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  13. BenFreeman

yes you are right..its the only part they understand....straight people or people in general who fit stereotypical gender roles have never had to self examine and question the way we do...imagine....IMAGINE....this website set up for the straight community...with posts that go....I'm a AFAB...and I'm really attracted to this guy in my class.....am I STRAIGHT!!!! i'M SO SCARED I don't know whats happening to me ... and I think my parents will disown me if they know....lol...the truth is that we have had to gather insight in ways other people don't...your mom is doing her best I think...her life never prepared her to understand you.

Well done for finding your way forward...I feel I need more time...specifically to negotiate the parent issue...I do see myself as taking some level of action in the next decade of life...by degrees...but I must....when I am not badly dysporic I am badly depressed they are the flipsides of the same coin...its clear to me that if I want to remain stable I must take action in the next few years...

I wish you good luck I do....let us know how it goes...I feel excited for you(!)