1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Andrew99, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay before you read this don't judge please!

Okay so I'm taking a PE class online for school and...there was this one assignment where I had to write a paper on ancient Olympics. Okay so the lesson didn't really give much info on it so I looked for more sources to help me with the assignment. So I ended up using Wikipedia. Well I did the assignemt, submitted it, and got my grade back. She gave me a 0% because it appeared I had copied most of it off Wikipedia and that I didn't put it in my own words. :bang: :bang: :bang:

I had a really bad panic attack after reading that and almost passed out twice. I emailed her back cordially asking her if it was possible that I could have a re-do if I change my paper. She hadn't responded back yet (she's not always great with communication) and I'm just so freaked out that she reported this to the counselor or principal that I plagiarized because I'm one of their top students at this school. I don't know what to do! I can't afford to get kicked out! I'm only 2 credits away from getting my diploma! Is there anything else I should/could do?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What did you say to her when you emailed her? Saying things exactly how they are often is the best - that you couldn't find any good resources and used wikipedia. It wasn't your intent to plagiarize, but you can understand that where your teacher is coming from. You could also offer just to take the zero.

But in all honestly, at least in my highschool, you wouldn't not get your diploma. Hell, even in first year university, you got a super serious warning then could re do it, or got a zero. No getting written up or anything. You're probably fine :slight_smile:

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll just have to wait and see what happens; I think there's much you can do at this point. (*hug*) I hope it'll turn out okay for you!

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you copy/ paste much ? Or was it just a small part?
    You will not be the first person to do this!!
    There is software some schools use that finds / traces plagiarised text
    I expect you will get a warning, but no way would you get kicked out.
    Good luck!!

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My school kicks out students who plagarize. The rules vary from school to school, I guess. Some are harsher about it than others.

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That sounds really intense -_-

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just asked if I could have a re do and that I would rewrite it in my own words. And no I didn't copy and paste at all I essentially copied what Wikipedia wrote and just wrote it in a different way. I don't think they would kick me out though because I always finish my classes on time (although I might run late on my pre calculus class) I am an A and B student. Also this is just a PE class but I can't be to sure and I'm just so worried I'm gonna get something in the mail saying they're kicking me out.

8. PerdHapley

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe they will look at your record and have a little mercy on you? If this is just a blip I don't see why they would kick you out.

Anxiety runs away with you sometimes. I know it's hard but try to distract yourself for now. There's nothing you can do about it right now and worrying is putting an extra strain on you

9. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you didn't 'copy/paste' direct, and you used several sources for your research including Wikipedia, then they have no grounds to be hard on you.

Good luck - it will be OK :thumbsup:

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you wrote it in a different way, it's probably okay. (*hug*)

My school's rule is not using five or more of the same words as in the source in a row.

11. warthog

Hi Andrew !

i'm sure it's not too bad, you're panicking too much if you actually didn't copy/paste and wrote it in your own words. Even if you did copy and paste parts of it, I don't think it's grounds for expulsion. Just like bunny said, you'll just have to wait and see. in the meantime worrying doesn't do anything so just try to relax and get your mind off things.

Good luck!

W

12. JordanJB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly ive done worse i used to copy and paste things into word then print it out and say ive done my work without getting kicked out, and considering youre an A student i dont see why they should kick you out because of that

13. robclem21

How do you have an online "physical education" class? Doesn't this defeat the entire purpose of "physical"...

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    UPDATE:

So I haven't gotten any notices that I'm getting kicked out and my final grade came back as a 83% so I passed the class. Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate it! (*hug*)

15. You will probably get a warning. Since you are one of the top students, there's no way they would kick you out. For now, you'll just have to wait and see