1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College, Housing, and Money

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Polterpup, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Polterpup

Okay, so I'm a senior in high school, and I need some major help. I've been looking at apartments near the university I want to go to, and I'm experiencing someā€¦ problems. I had planned on transferring from the restaurant I work for here to the restaurant they have there. The only problem? I work for minimum wage.

So, I guess what I'm asking is how I'm supposed to pay for housing, food, and books if I'm working for $7.25 an hour? Not to mention the expenses for my two dogs because they have to come with me. It's non negotiable. The cheapest pet friendly place I have found is $425 a month (which is actually the cheapest I've found regardless of pets), and that doesn't include most utilities. I suggested to my mum that I work 30 hours a week instead of 20, and she told me that being a full time student and working that many hours would be too much to handle. I could try to find a different job, but I feel like most places start out at minimum wage anyway. So, what do I do? Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated!

2. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there any way you could get a job associated with your school? I'm pretty sure the jobs pay a little bit better than minimum wage, without as many hours as what you're talking about. I know quite a few people who work on campus, whether as RA's or food service people, and it helps them out with tuition and other living expenses.

Your mom is right on this one though, 30 hours is a lot of time to be working and being a full time student. Maybe you could be a part time student? Take some classes online rather than on campus? There will be some social aspects of college that you might miss out on, but you'll be able to survive and (possibly) live happily with your dogs.

3. Hobbes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All colleges have a financial aid office of some kind. Go talk to them. Also, the best you could do is complete your FAFSA. It's general application for financial aid; it is also used for part of the student loans process. Best of luck.