1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Hispanics for Trump"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you were latino (a real latino) you wouldn't vote for someone who wants to destroy your culture and country. So fake "latinos" who vote for Trump just happen to have a Hispanic surname because their great-great-grandfather went to America several decades ago, but they're not connected to their culture, otherwise they wouldn't vote for him

Trump doesn't only want to fix the immigration problem, he wants to make Mexico pay for a wall that AMERICA wants, without having any respect for our sovereignty

#21 edy, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are Mexican immigrants who support Trump. There's enough of them it's undeniable. Also I think it's a pretty ridiculous statement that Trump wants to destroy Mexico and Hispanic culture.

Also, you're using Hispanic Latino interchangeably. Hispanic refers to people of Spanish ancestry, Latino is anyone of Latin American descent.

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this. I don't see where he said he hates all Hispanics. I'm not voting for him, and I don't particularly like him because he does things that a President shouldn't do. But, I can't sit here and say he hates all Hispanics.

I think he handles things harshly and he sometimes acts immaturely. But I've never seen where he says he hates ALL Hispanics.

I also think it's immature for people to say that someone isn't a true Latin American if they support him. That's like saying someone isn't a true African American if they don't support Obama. People are going to have different views, for whatever reason.

#23 Anthemic, Sep 1, 2016
  4. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Not every Hispanic is an illegal immigrant and it doesn't make them any lesser of one to vote and/or agree with Trump. Yes I do think illegal immigration is made into a much bigger problem than it actually is, but I respect that he even went to Mexico to talk with the president. Too much time is spent lumping a Hillary or especially a Trump voter in one basket when all of us are different.

5. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think anyone here supports Trump. But if someone insists that people have to behave and think a certain way to be a part of a certain group, how are they any better than Trump. That's all I'm saying. Trump is terrible. That is all.

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Hispanic" in its most common [American] usage refers to countries and peoples who have some historical link to Spain, mainly referencing Spain's former colonies, i.e. almost all of Latin America except Brazil. So while "Latino" encompasses all of Latin America (including Brazil), "Hispanic" is slightly less specific. They're not completely interchangeable, but they are very close and can be used interchangeably in most instances. Some people prefer "Latino" because it's more inclusive and does not embed a specific reference to Spain (as some don't wish to refer to their former colonizers in their own identity), but the term is perfectly valid in reference to people of Mexican or most other Latin American heritage.

I'm of full Mexican descent and regularly call myself "Latino" and "Hispanic", and less commonly "Chicano".

That said, support for Trump is not synonymous with "race betrayal" or some kind of "Uncle Tom" status. Many Hispanic Americans are opposed to illegal immigration and may support Trump with this in mind if they are legal immigrants (my dad's family immigrated legally and I don't support illegal immigration for obvious reasons). I will admit that Trump's language about Hispanic people has not been all that enlightened or sensitive and some of it borders on bigotry, but it isn't necessary that any Latino supporting Trump must be self-hating. I don't support Trump for many reasons, but I would not immediately condemn a fellow Latino for supporting him.

#26 Libertino, Sep 1, 2016
  7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mean, if it were say, Cubans in Miami, I could understand, since they tend to vote Republican, are middle class, and came through very different means (race might also play a part, as many are European descended, while many immigrants from Mexico are indigenous from places like Oaxaca).

But yeah, if someone says, "They're not bringing their best. They're bringing rapists and criminals" and that refers to you... at least black Americans seem to have a bit more common sense, although I've encountered one or two Trump supporters there, as well.

8. dreamcatcher

I don't think anyone has the right to tell people that they aren't real Latinos or not. If they vote for Trump, that's their prerogative but that doesn't make them any less Latino. If a Latino doesn't speak Spanish, that doesn't make them less Latino. If a Latino doesn't like Spanish pop music, that doesn't make them less Latino. I understand that you don't like that some Latinos are voting for Trump and I don't like that as well but we cannot define the identities of others. Being Latino and liking Trump are not mutually exclusive.

9. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, if you can even vote in a U.S. election, technically you're not even Mexican- Mexicans can't even vote for the U.S. president! and if you choose to vote for someone as anti-Mexican as Trump, then stop claiming that heritage.

10. ScatteredEarth

I'm sorry but I have to say that this thread is offensive. Maybe not to me but you're basically insulting every Mexican American who accepts even only some of his policies. Besides, do you really think trump is gonna make Mexico pay for a wall or even build one?

Basically what you're promoting is the same hate that people dislike trump for. If you disagree with someone's views, that's fine but to say that if you do x you aren't y, is simply not right..

11. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    yes, I do! That's exactly what he said, that's what his supporters are expecting him to do. All those "mexicans" who support him should actually pay for that wall, because they benefit from America. Why should MY taxes help to build that wall when I never even been in American and I never will?

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This whole thread has become just an offensive rant by the OP. Who is he to tell others what their heritage is? Calling people fake Mexicans or Hispanics because their opinion differs from his. It's absurd.

13. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I really don't care what they vote for, but these people need get it together, you can't claim Mexican heritage and then poop on Mexico's sovereignty. That's illogical.

14. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

15. dreamcatcher

So even if that person was born in Mexico but they become a US citizen, you're saying they're not Mexican? Even if they only spoke Spanish and followed strictly Mexican traditions, they wouldn't be Mexican? I'm not sure where the logic in that is... Also you do not need family in Latin America to claim to be Latino. That's ridiculous. Some latino immigrants come to the U.S without any family at all.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's tricky. Some include parts of the Southwest as Latin America (certainly Spanish speaking, former colonies, etc.) but if you're raised in the US, you're American (United Statesian, not of the continents The Americas).

I'm not hugely into policing identities, but some of the posters, not being Hispanic/Latino/Mexican do seem to be stepping out of line, by doing the same thing. It's like a straight person telling a group of arguing gays they're wrong.

I think Edy is speaking in terms of nationality.

17. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Many people in Mexico do not believe that Mexican-Americans are really Mexicans (especially those who can't speak spanish), I don't agree with this, I think it's bad to alienate them and not embrace them as part of our culture if they identify as Mexicans. However if you are a trump supporter and you'll vote for him, just stop claiming that heritage since you obviously couldn't care less about us down here in Mexico. That's it.

18. PrettyinPunk

Ya know, I had a well thought out, insightful, and quite long post typed up for this. Then EC flipped out on me and it disappeared. :bang:

So I'll just do a quick recap. For lots of folks Heritage<Political Values. Also politics are lame, that's why I avoid them like the plague.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A lot of Mexicans do seem to hold that view. Just a few weeks ago, I was reading a book on the Mexican-American war, and how some officials from Mexico City were shocked at how the Tejanos lived. "They don't speak proper Spanish, they live like the Indians, they don't keep track of the revolution" they said.

It just seems a bit silly to hold someone in another country to the same standard, you know? Apparently, Spaniards have a similar view of Latin Americans, in general. Hey, if you don't like it, get out!

On the other hand, if Mexico were paradise, many of us wouldn't be here, so the whole "dual loyalty" card never made much sense to me. Some people take it too far...

20. YaSabesQuien

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People are free to vote for whoever they want

However I've noticed that a lot of people who are against are illegal immigration are very racist in general. I love in AZ and I've have people get mad at me for speaking Spanish.