1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Still Totally Closeted and I'm Older

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by toothlessdream, Aug 30, 2016.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Antidepressants are prescribed only to take the edge off the worst of your feelings, but they will not address the fundamental issues that are causing you to feel depressed.

It's important to understand that psychiatrists work in a very different way to therapists and they don't necessarily have the same skill set or availability of time to do in depth listening or exploration of feelings. A psychiatrist is generally there to diagnose and prescribe a course of treatment for mental health problems, which often includes therapy. I'm sorry your psychiatrist appeared impatient and annoyed, but he really does seem to have given you his professional opinion and recommendation.

If you are dealing with issues connected to abuse, you should seek a therapist with expertise in that area. Many are not well equipped to deal with these issues and that's why you may feel as though you are getting nowhere when you talk to them.

As I look at your posts there is a lot of catastrophic and defeatist language... you seem to be saying "I don't", "I won't" and "I can't" a lot and you are almost rejecting the validity of your own feelings. I'm not pointing this out to be horrible or unkind, but when you are constantly pushing against yourself in that way it limits the capacity for change. It is daunting, I know, but positive change begins with you. It's there, but you need to tap into it.

2. toothlessdream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That is true. Thank you.

3. 333RosyLily

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so sorry. Sounds like you need a place where you can be yourself, or be on your own. I was raped when I was 15 (nothing like what you went through) and I had been wondering at one time, "Was there something wrong with me? Do I prefer women simply because I was raped by a man?" Now, I know that isn't the case, and that I'm just gay.

In any case, is there anywhere you can go? Anywhere you can move to that you can at least have the life you need to have?

(( hugs ))

Rosa

4. toothlessdream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry for what happened to you. I really am. I know sometimes "sorry" feels callous or like you've been swept under the rug but I'm not blowing you off. I simply don't know what to say. Please don't compare our experiences. You're entitled to feel whatever you feel and your sense of loss is legitimate. Any act of violence is terrible and unnecessary but rape is so humiliating and personal. Please don't ever be hard on yourself. No matter the circumstance it wasn't your fault.
    TrickUK- you're really brutal in a polite way. That HURT but I needed that. I've been wallowing in self pity so thanks for slapping me out of it. At first, I was angry but you're right. I'm not doing anything constructive that promotes any healing. I'm festering and I need to pull myself out and get help if I need it. I'm sure I can find at least something for lower income people. On a good note I had an orientation today so I'll be getting a higher paying job soon and I'll be able to move in the next 8 months if I stick to my budget. Thanks to everyone that's been so nice to me here even though I 've been a sad sack.