1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Colin Kaepernick refuses to stand for the national anthem

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by tyro, Aug 29, 2016.

1. tyro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In my opinion he is free to not stand but I think it's disrespectful to the troops. If you want to talk about societal injustices that is great but I don't think this is a good way to do it. The national anthem is about American values that we all agree about ( freedom of speech, religion, democracy etc) and supporting those that defend it. Showing support for the national anthem isn't showing support all negative things that happen in America.

Again he is free to do it, but personally I disagree it. I would love for him to set up a charity, or donate to charities for African Americans. I would love for him to give statements about the injustices. I had no problem with what Dwayne wade Carmelo and Lebrun did. However I do have a problem with what Colin is doing.

2. IamCasey

I am Patriotic
    I hope to go to the AF Academy
    I stand and face the flag and put my hand over my heart
    BUT.......
    I see that if I am to be in the military, one of the basic rights I will defend is anyone's choice not to stand. So not all Patriots are fanatic!

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm having a hard time understanding why this is such big news. Not standing during the national anthem is freedom of expression. I could care less if a football player sits during the national anthem.

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Anybody else find it a bit weird that it's the "America's goin' down tha tubes because of dem librals, feminists, muslimbs and homosexuals etc" and "make America great again" crowd that are most pissed off about this? You'd think they'd be happy that Kaepernick is drawing attention to one of America's biggest flaws considering that they spend all their time whinging about the country.

Just to emphasise how idiotic this is, we've got football players over here that don't sing their national anthem at internationals (usually because they don't know the words) and nobody gives a damn.

5. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll never understand the patriotic fervour and frenzy of Americans. I've only visited the country once, but to be honest the place terrifies me: Trump, NRA, trigger happy cops, ghettos, and all the rest of it. And then one person doesn't stand for the national anthem and the country gets all hot and bothered. Weird. It used to be such a great country which led the world in important social changes but now?

6. Sagume Kishin

The stupidest thing is this qualifies as "news".

And I agree. Freedom of Speech is Freedom to Disagree. Why does everyone else care so much if he stands or not? (not to any of you, just in general)

7. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    How is it "unpatriotic" to hold your country accountable. No country is perfect for everyone and it's his right not to stand. The anthem was made in a time where black people were seen as inferior in society and I wouldn't be surprised if the author was a racist.

Why is Colin not standing an issue? Are we gonna act like all cops are perfect angels? No one is that. I salute him.

8. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand why people care, to be honest.

9. Psaurus918

I can careless. They can all sit if they want.

I don't go to many sporting events and when I do I'll stand during the national anthem but I never put my hand over my heart

10. faustian1

It is not. In fact, some of the finest moments in US history, in the 20th Century, featured people doing exactly that. Some may recall that occasionally the persons acting suffered arrest and persecution for what later became the national consensus. In recent decades, we have lost the ability to engage in productive self-criticism, shown in part by the increasing polarization.

There are many "conventional wisdoms" in our nation that could stand some iconoclastic re-examination. The product of this can be progress. I am proud to stand up for those expressing unpopular opinions, even those I cannot agree with, because the core value of free expression has brought this country farther than those nations who have suppressed dissent.

11. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I respect this. To add to that, how do we understand each other if we keep trying to silence one another? Every differing opinion isn't "hate speech".

12. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He can do as he pleases. I'm American and fed up with half the people who live here. Anyone who wants Trump as president is crazier than I am and I have a mental illness. That's real crazy, wanting a president who is casual about dropping nukes. Shudder.

13. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's the reason he didn't stand up which pisses me off. you'll understand what I mean when you watch this video

[YOUTUBE]OGueTYN-Ve8[/YOUTUBE]

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both sides have so many double standards. So frustrating.

15. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see a point in doing the national anthem before a sports game at all.

16. bjanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get why such a big deal was made out of this. Someone could even not stand without thinking about it. This stuff makes the news instead of real issues...

17. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I don't see why.
    The notion that you have to participate in national anthem recitals to be partiotic or a true member of a nation is pure nonsense.

---------- Post added 3rd Sep 2016 at 10:46 PM ----------

You're begging the question that he's being disrespectful period.

How exactly? Explain, don't just assert.

Again, your assertions do not constitute facts.

---------- Post added 3rd Sep 2016 at 10:48 PM ----------

[​IMG]

---------- Post added 3rd Sep 2016 at 10:49 PM ----------

That doesn't mean however that said criticsm is rational, or free from hypocricy.

---------- Post added 3rd Sep 2016 at 10:52 PM ----------

Unless you can actually provide sound arguments for this position, it's a complete non-sequitur.

Except that this demonstrably not the case.

The US anthem isn't about just those things, moreover when some of those things aren't actually realised but continually opposed, it's seems perfectly fair to point out the hypocricy.

Neither is lack of support disrespectful to the military.

---------- Post added 3rd Sep 2016 at 10:55 PM ----------

The NFL analogy is ludicrous. That African-Americans aren't being disciminated in situation X, doens't mean they're not discriminated against in other sitautions and areas.

The rest is nothing but a hyperbolic rant against straw-man 'leftists'.

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Did I ever claim my opinion was "fact"? I don't think sitting for the national anthem is going to help anyone in a meaningful way. It's the sort of 21st century protesting that is useless.

19. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Just because a claim is an opinion, doesn't mean it doesn't have to be justified.
    Here you do it again, makin the claim that these protests are useless, can you actually demonstrate this to be the case.

20. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a member of the military, we hold that symbol to mean the greater good of the country is above any individual. So we put it up everyday on every base in the world and we salute the flag everytime we pass it. It represents the people that make up this country, including the people he says are oppressed. I think it is his right to sit, but I also think it is a cheap way to get attention. He already has a platform and he could pull a Marshawn Lynch and refuse to speak to the media about football and only talk about how his people are oppressed or whatever his cause is. It is his right to express himself. I see him as ignorant as the people who protest the military.