1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misgendered Presents?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayPugs, Aug 29, 2016.

1. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not out to most of my family, but it's never really been a problem because I've always been the "tomboy".

Until my dad remarried. His wife had three boys, no girls, so she loves "Christmas now because I just buy you girls what I would want!" :| This woman is the walking embodiment of a '50s housewife magazine. Everything is pink. Everything is make-up and nails and bows. Even my cis-sister, who loves make-up and high heels and all the feminine stuff, can't stand how extreme our dad's wife goes.

Thankfully last year was more neutral, I think my dad talked her down. XD

2. GayPugs

My parents always make me give a list of things I want for birthday/Christmas to my grandparents. It's usually like this: video games, money, whatever-new-thing-Nintendo-is-currently-making, (and, when I was younger, it included a Nerf gun and toy trucks).
    But instead I get: Barbies, pink things, and shirts that say "It must have been my brother, I'm an angel!"
    If that's not clear disregard for anything I could even possibly like...I dunno what is.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I've been mostly lucky in that department.

My parents knew I didn't like it, so aside from the first times, they didn't bother giving me girly things. I remember my mom gifting me barbies once. I never played with them, like, at all xD. My dad usually bought gender neutral stuff like construction toys and stuff, when he didn't just give money.

My grandmother used to give coloring books, jigsaw puzzles and money. Nothing was specific to a certain gender.

As for my godparents, they gave me ONE present in my whole life: a cat plushie. Again, gender neutral.

The only times I ever received things I didn't like, it was by friends of friends or during a present exchange (we have a thing at Christmas where the family buys a gift and everyone who bought a gift can randomly get one).

Yeah, I've been very lucky with my family in that regard.

4. PrettyinPunk

I don't think i've received any misgendered presents but I've gotten plenty of stereotypical 'girly' presents. When I was little if I got a present from someone who didn't know me well it was guaranteed to be a Barbie of some sort. As I got older it was a perfume or bath body set. A complete waste on me but hey that's what re-gifting's all about.

Somewhat related..I remember being upset when I would get a happy meal as a kid. Just because I was a girl, I always got the doll when I wanted the car.:lol:

5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Something like this?

[​IMG]

6. GayPugs

OMG YES! I love that movie. xD

7. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was a child my aunt bought me an Action Man.

8. soulcatcher

Well, that sucks then. Try asking for money next time, maybe that will work.

9. GayPugs

Yeah, I've tried, but my grandparents really like the look of presents under the tree....

10. BenFreeman

LOL!!!:roflmao::roflmao:

11. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm cis so I've never got a misgendered present I dont think; My mum was always pretty great at presents. But I've never really been girly, so girl presents (particularly teen girl presents) always annoyed me. My extended family always got me girly things (makeup/shower gel/bags/purses/perfume/moisturiser/jewelery) which i never used. I mean, I like certain girly things, but my best presents have always been fairly non-gendered (books/board and computer games/stationary).