1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the gender of the thinking 'voice' in your head?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CamN15, Aug 29, 2016.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sometimes if I've just listened to someone with a very distinct voice/accent talk, my thinking voice will mimic their voice, but normally I genuinely can't tell. I can't hear a distinctive voice when I think, like I know it's there but I couldn't describe it, which is kind of weird. In fact, I know some people hear a voice in their head when they read and that voice recites what they're reading but that never happens to me. Maybe I just think differently idk.

2. I'm_Danni_x

The gender of the voice in my head is either a neutral voice or my own voice, which whenever I am typing something or reading that voice recites what I'm typing or reading.

#22 I'm_Danni_x, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I have several thinking voices. The two by default are neutral but as a person it would be a man with chaotic hair in a suit and the second one is simply a child. ^^ Anything hypermasculine related is Dean Winchesters voice and anything intellectual related is BBC Sherlock voice. Yes, I'm a fanboy, but didn't do it concious.

4. CamN15

Wow, such interesting answers! I've really enjoyed reading them all :slight_smile:

5. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, my thinking "voice" is definitely male. It's pretty flat and monotone, completely different from my girly pre-T voice IRL. :lol:

6. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not even sure my voice in my head really has a pitch.

On a similar topic, has anyone tried voice changing apps to test what your voice might sound like on T or if you trained it? Most of them are cheesy and just have silly effects but I found one that makes your voice lower and actually kind of sounds how I imagine I would sound as male.

7. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here are my recordings. I'm sure there are better apps for this or a tech savvy person could easily just slow your voice down some other way. Also, there are lots of apps specifically for changing a male voice into a female voice, but none that I found that do the reverse.

The app I used is called "voice changer with effects". Won't work for mtfs though I don't think.

Attached Files:

#27 Rickystarr, Aug 30, 2016
  8. SHIELDAgentAlex

I have two distinct thought voices. One is mine, or at least how mine sounds to me, whereas the voice of my conscience sounds like my friend, so a deeper-pitched female voice.

It makes sense because my friend is basically my conscience in reality.

9. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually it just sounds like my speech patterns in a non-toned voice, but sometimes it's someone else--like Morgan Freeman, narrating my life. An interesting thing to note--when your thought-voice is speaking, your vocal cords and the speech-production areas of your brain actually engage in the same way they do when you're speaking aloud (though I think to a lesser degree?). So, it makes sense for your thought-voice to sound like your physical speaking voice! At the same time, having a thought-voice that doesn't match your physical voice makes total sense, too, since it's based in your psychological sense of self etc.--which I guess also explains severe voice dysphoria and surprise when you hear yourself talk!

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There really isn't one! I tend to think in words, or pictures...

11. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, I really love this topic. Anyhow personally my voice changes with my mood, or otherwise can be called "rotates". Speech patterns, personality and affinity all seem to change with it however it doesn't actually change anything with me.. just my various thinking voices.

It's probably a disorder,
    butt fuck it.
    I mean I like it.. like.. that..

12. Synesthesia

Oh yeah that sometimes happens to me as well. Used to happen more when I was younger though I think.

#32 Synesthesia, Aug 30, 2016
  13. Problematic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    depends on the situation but it changes from male to female from time to time most of the time tho is actually in a female voice

14. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never really thought about it much before but it's my own voice so I assume it's change and get deeper when I go on T but it'll always just be how my voice sounds irl.

15. AmyBee

Those are cool! I listened and I really liked the way that sounded. I've actually done that pitching my voice up a little. I ended up sounding EXACTLY like Reese Witherspoon!

16. lulzsec

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Family only
    YES! I've asked so many people this irl and they don't understand the question. this was THE initial thing that set me off to knowing i was trans was this. Everyone has always bugged me saying i "mumble". It's always been my pet peeve when someone asks me to repeat myself.The reason i hate it is because the voice in my head is so opposite of mine to the point of when i say my name out loud my brain recognizes it as someone else's voice and physically scares me.My head voice is a female, I'm curious at what other kinds of things you think about similar to me.

17. CamN15

Haha I totally understand the thing about being scared about your own physical voice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If I'm alone for a day, just writing/reading at home, then it's super terrifying to start talking again because I grow accustomed to hearing the male voice... !

18. ChameleonSoul

My inner voice is gender fluid I guess. It switches between sounding masculine and feminine depending on the situation.

19. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like my voice, but I guess maybe more gender-neutral in the language I use (as opposed to the language I use when speaking out loud)?

20. GenderSciFi

It's pretty much like my own voice. Since I haven't figured out my own gender... I really wouldn't know if it's male, female (probably not *cringe*) or anything else. It's mine, though. Kind of know-it-all, over-caring, defiant and persistent?