1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in the saying 'there is someone for everyone?'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by I'm_Danni_x, Aug 28, 2016.

1. candyjiru

I feel like this, but that the person you choose to make it work with, have a little spark that makes them someone for you <3 I have a few people in my life that are aromantic and I think that they are much happier being on their own/open to different styles of relationship outside of romance and lovey-dovey such and such~ as a poly person, I think there are several "ones" haha~

I also think there are several "ones" because of all the people who are in new relationships because their former partner has died... that doesn't mean that one of those people was not/is not, the one... it just means they were both right people for that person... omg that sounds so confusing x.x;;;; I'm sorry, haha

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would change the statement slightly.

I would say that for any given person, there are plenty of people who think that person is just awesome and would be happy to be with them.

Whether you are open to any of those people is up to you.
    Whether you ever meet any of those people is up to fate...but people who are attracted to each other and are open to attraction tend to find one another eventually.

And I absolutely do not believe that there is exactly one person in the world whom you can love, and with whom you are meant to be happy forever. That is a tempting myth, promulgated by a society that is irrationally addicted to strict monogamy norms that do not work for the vast majority of humans on this planet.

#22 biAnnika, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't in either sense. I think for most people there are many people that they could VERY happily be with. I think perhaps everyone has the potential to get to that point in their life and development. So I don't think there's only one person for everyone. On the other hand I think some people just never make it to that place and I'm frankly more than willing to believe that there are people out there for whom there just isn't anyone. I think some people through the course of their lives build a pot for which there just aren't any lids.:shrug:

4. Ashley2103

No, well, this is going into my beliefs, but I believe if someone needs someone, there is someone for them, otherwise, no. But at the same time, this doesn't guarantee they will find that "someone."

5. Ryu

Ryu

What if you're asexual?

*waggles hand and yells 'oh' half heartedly at nothing particular*

6. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I try to avoid topics like this in person because it can open a heteronormative, "If a gay person just found the right person of an opposite gender...." talk.

Think this ignores aromantic asexuals too. Don't think they're looking for the "right person". With billions of people on this Earth it's impossible to find someone to perfectly match you anyways. As long as you're happy be with who you can on a consenting level or enjoy being single.

7. Makoto

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really believe in "the one," there are only people you click better with. I mean until recently I tried to be better in order to attract someone I wanted to be with, but now I try to be better for my own benefit, and be myself in all things, believing that the right people, the people who appreciate authenticity and aren't afraid of a little damage, will be attracted to me when we cross paths. Trying to live life on a quest to find just The One takes me out of the present and away from myself, it feels like I'm living for someone else who isn't even there, it's not how I want to spend my life anymore.

8. ravenscarlett

I think there is someone out there for everyone. However, I don't believe it has to be in a romantic way. Your best friend could be your other half.

9. faustian1

There is nothing in these two viewpoints that is in any way incompatible. There can both be someone who will "put up with you" like no other, and who coalesces around you by luck and coincidence.

Someone else has already posted that there are 7 billion opportunities for such a coincidence in the world, so it would seem to be mainly a problem of marketing and sales... :lol: ....which is why they invented all of those location-enabled phone apps.

It is interesting, there are two polar viewpoints. One, that finding someone you like to hang around is like deciding you like to marathon-watch a particular television program, and two, that finding the person is like obtaining someone who is the least crabby about putting up with you. Have you ever noticed that the things people say they like about their "special interest" can be odd and even very strange, but it seems to bring them comfort and satisfaction? So, indeed, there can be no scientific explanation for this. Kumbayah or Karma, one or the other...

#29 faustian1, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016