1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing weight tips?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GayBatman, Aug 28, 2016.

1. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm a fat ass. (!) I exercise and try to eat correctly but I still can't lose any weight. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

#1 GayBatman, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  2. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cutting back on how much you eat, but do it gradually so your body gets used to it. I ate about half of what I would normally eat for lunch for a week or two until I got used to it. Then cut back on what I would eat for dinner for a week or two, then did the same thing for breakfast.

If you cut back gradually like that it's much easier, and I should point out I cut back on lunch first because I would be at work for the rest of the day and wouldn't be able to cheat and get a snack.

I lost around 50lbs.

3. gazwkd

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The general rule is to expend more calories than you take in.

A food and exercise diary are useful, I'm also a fan of taking a picture of myself and then further pictures as times go's by with the exercise and calorie regime to compare and contrast and keep yourself on track.

Gaining weight is the easy bit, losing it is the hard bit - but then worthwhile things rarely are easy!

#3 gazwkd, Aug 28, 2016
  4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm with gazwkd, you just have to burn more than you take in.

Park further away from the store or office, try and take the stairs more. If you go out for dinner, ask for the smaller lunch portion. Lots of little things accumulate into bigger things.

5. TraceElement

Track what you eat and drink. theres an app called myfitnesspal that I like. eat like you usually do, then it will probably be easier to see where the changes in food choices come in, like not having deep fried tater tots 5 days in a row, instead have a baked potato with low fat sour cream, bacos, scallions, and diced peppers.

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Buy as much tupperware as you can fit in your freezer.
    Cook full meals and fit smallish portition sizes inside the tupperware and freeze it.

Try and use less oils and fats in your cooking. Eat less pork and beef and eat more chicken and turkey.

Join a gym with a nice swimmingpool and set yourself a target to go swimming maybe twice a week for around an hour each time.

Get rid of your junkfood and try to substitute sweet sugary things with sweet fruit. If you find that the fruit keeps going off, maybe make yourself a fruit salad and bathe it in lemon/lime juice to keep it preserved. Set 'treat days' once a week where you can eat what you like (but dont go too crazy on portion sizes... You used to buy a 12x pack of crisps and eat it all in one day? Now buy a 6x pack instead.).

Nuts are not good for you.
    Avocados are not good for you.
    Learn what is good for you.

If you 'fail' dont beat yourself up and dont think "well today I ate loads of junk, might as well do the same tomorrow".

Really it is hard. You have to try and tailor stuff to your own temprement and life.

#6 Robert, Aug 28, 2016
  7. MsAnchor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Smaller portions
    Cut out or cut out carbs and dairy
    Drink only water no juices, alcohol or fizzy drinks
    Loads of fish, tuna, chicken and turkey

Follow this well and watch those jeans get looser

8. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also use myfitnesspal. Very useful for tracking your caloric intake and you get a good idea of the nutritional information. Also helps you decide if you really want to get a cookie or get an ice cap (for example).

Burning more calories than you gain is the basic concept, but what I've found helpful is knowing your daily caloric intake and staying under it. I lost 14 pounds in about 4-5 months (which ironically enough wasn't my goal, I wanted to get bigger so my weight should have increased). Making heathier food choices helps tons, but that doesn't mean you can't treat yourself here and there.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since you're a guy try to eat no more than 1700 calories a day, and drink about 64 fl oz of water (yes you can drink Crystal Light). Take in at least 60g of protein a day and do cardio. The protein drinks like Premier Protein at Walmart are perfect for this. They even count for fl oz of liquid. Like others have said, MyFitnessPal is great for tracking calories. Good luck! :grin:

#9 Anthemic, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  10. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Build muscle. It heightens the number of calories your body burns by default. And if you want to diet: Pick a diet with food you like. Do you eat much meat, vegetables or sweets?

11. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really disagree on nuts and avocados.

Avocados are high in healthy fats that are good for your heart, B-vitamins, potassium, lutein, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, and fiber. They also have almost no sodium and sugar. They're high in calories and fats, so you can't eat too much of them, but in moderation they're great.

Same goes with nuts. They're high in fat and calories, so eat in moderation. However, they're high in protein, fiber, the fat is healthy. Micronutrients vary, and a lot of processed nuts will have less of them, but generally they're pretty high--check the label.

#11 baconpox, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  12. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What I did to lose weight was a cut back on, (but not cut out) excessive sugar and salt. I began drinking low-calorie (but not "diet") drinks, only ate sugary desserts it was either a special occasion or a special dessert. I ate fewer snacks between meals, and when I did snack, I chose "Lower Sodium" or "Lightly Salted" items. Never did I completely give up on sweets, fats, or salty items, because I believe that leads people to "cheating" on their diet. I also kept physically active with light exercises like walking. I never went to a gym or fitness club.

I dropped 4 inches off my waist in about a year, and people were always telling me how much skinnier I looked, though I really did it more for my health than for appearances.

13. TidMaskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What type of exercises and diet did you choose? Healthy eating habbits with regular physical activity gives an amazing effect but that usually takes a long time, especially if you have many kilos to loose :eusa_doh: I think that you need to be patient first of all :icon_wink
    Also maybe you should some more exercises? I can recommen yoga for example, it's very good for the body and also helps the weight loss :slight_smile: Swimming, running and practising with such stuff like on these examples from StyleMann in the gym or at home are very helpful too :slight_smile: Another idea are different sport games, it's really cool to play in them with friends and definetely more funny than basic fitness alone :rolle:

14. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At my heaviest, being 5'8, I was 265-270lbs. Last January, I decided that my New Years resolution would be to get myself in shape.

I was too self conscious to go to the gym, but I was fortunate enough to be able to afford a high intensity cardio machine. When I first started, I would be on it 5 days a week. I drastically cut calories. I never deprived myself and allowed myself cheat days because that's torture if you can't indulge, and you are more likely to fall off the bandwagon. I completely eliminated snacking.

Exercise only counts for 10% of calorie expenditure. To lose weight you need to be 500 calories under the amount you are allowed to eat for your age, height and weight.

I'm now down to 178lbs. I still have a ways to go, but I am almost down 10 pant sizes.

Best of luck.

15. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I always get criticized for this...

I have some health issues that prevent me from exercising. Also hypothyroidism and diabetes runs in the family which seem to cause weight issues. The only thing that has ever worked for me to lose weight and it worked very well is the Old Atkins diet - not the new one. The Atkins prepackaged meals are from the new Atkins. The old Atkins is home prepared and limits more than the new.

I could eat as much as I wanted even getting over 3000cals a day and still lost weight. I eliminated all soda and reduced carbs to no more than 20 a day. No potatoes, rice, pasta, or breads. Mostly meat, some dairy and vegs. But there are tons of recipes in the diet that simulate food you give up. So I wasn't unhappy with it. Downside, is it can get expensive because most people fill up on carbs which is fairly cheap, meat not so cheap.

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2017 at 09:07 AM ----------

People have to see the pics to believe me - I lost 60lbs in 4 months without any exercise and eating as much as I wanted.