1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do You Think of Polyamory?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iiimee, Aug 27, 2016.

1. thepandaboss

I have friends who are. And glad it works for them. I couldn't do it. My last relationship was almost poly and, granted, it just wasn't a good situation all around. But I'm very monogamous. I even feel awkward, even though I'm single, talking to people when I have my eye on a particular person. Even when I've never even gone on an actual date.

2. Wen

Wen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i think it's great so long as everyone in the relationship loves each other.
    so for example: john, mary, martha and paul; john and mary love each other, mary and martha love each other, martha and paul love each other, john and paul love each other. john and martha love each other, and mary and paul love each other. what are the chances of everyone in the relationship loving each other though? but i do think it's possible and when everyone is happy with the relationship, i don't see the issue.
    it's when it's john, martha and paul and paul doesn't like martha and vice versa that i'm like...man, idk. but again, if everyone in the relationship consents, it's not my place to say they're better off in a relationship where they're 100% happy and don't have to feel jealous so much. but i do think with the latter there is some sacrificing being made, where john is the happiest and the other 2 are only in it for john as well. lol. hope that makes sense.

#22 Wen, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  3. I'm_Danni_x

I'm completely against polyamory as I'm strictly monogamous and could never date anyone who is polyamarous. I just want one girl who loves and trusts me unconditionally and for me to love and trust her unconditionally. I don't need the stress, anxiety and insecurity which usually occurs when bringing other people in.

#23 I'm_Danni_x, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely would not be ok with it in a relationship. I can only be with someone who is 100% committed to me romantically and sexually, and only me. It's fine if others do it, though.

#24 Anthemic, Aug 28, 2016
  5. GenderSciFi

I like it. Can work just fine. Complicated though, lots of talking, lots of finding out what you want and need from each other... my issue with this is also: how do i find the time?

6. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    having once been married and enjoying sex with both females and males, I think it's ok. But can it work? Everyone involved would need to work so hard at it to make it work. and issues of envy and power within each relationship would need to be talked about constantly.

7. rudysteiner

I've got no problem with polyamorous relationships whatsoever, and although I can't see myself in one, I probably wouldn't mind if it were just between myself and two other people and it went no further than that for any party. When it comes to conceiving children, though, it does begin to seem a little culty to me.

8. iiimee

There are some benefits that I think poly couples should definitely be able to get legally. For example, if I have two wives and a husband and am legally married to them all, they should ALL be able to visit me in the hospital and decide what happens to me medically if I can't make the decision myself... That's one of the biggest reasons I still consider myself getting married one day, is just so I won't be at the mercy of my blood-family or doctors if I'm in that sort of situation... I know you can add friends to the list of people who can decide that stuff, but going through that work just seems really difficult and might even be embarrassing for the wives/husbands I am not legally married to.

9. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For others, fair enough, but for me, I'm not sure it would work. (I get jealous.)

10. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting…personally, it’s been the other way around for me- homosexuality and trans issues were often mocked and I actually ended up forming quite a negative perception of homosexuality, and in turn myself as I grew up. Of course, I’ve worked through that now for the most part. I suppose it depends the kind of people that you were around.

Then again, poly stuff wasn’t mocked or discouraged simply because it just wasn’t mentioned. In fact, I only found out about the idea of polyamorous relationships by looking into the LGBT community (via people coming out as poly on YouTube, which was recommended because I watched other coming out videos) before then, I didn’t really know it was a thing. I mean, I’d heard of cheating but I hadn’t previously heard of the idea of a consensual poly relationship, where each person knew what was going on and were ok with it.

I don’t actually know anyone in a poly relationship, all my close friends are either single or in a monogamous relationship. I’ve never met anyone who’s told me that they’re dating more than one person. I mean, I may have met someone who is and simply don’t know, but I’ve never had that conversation and relationships tend to come up every now and then in conversation.

I wouldn’t really care if I met someone who was, as it doesn’t really matter to me a great deal. However, I don’t think I’d date someone who was. I’ve never imagined myself in such a scenario, I’ve always imagined myself to be in a monogamous relationship with someone I care about. All that’s changed is that instead of a man, I imagine myself with a woman instead, now that I know myself a bit better.

And let’s face it, I highly doubt one woman could stand me enough to date me, never mind more. :grin: :icon_wink

Sorry, I know this post might come across a little tongue in cheek, but I didn’t mean any offense by it. :slight_smile:

#30 Canterpiece, Aug 28, 2016
  11. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never be in an authentic relationship. But the girls I previously dated hooked up other guys while they were with me (sometimes right in front of me) and I didn't like that. I didn't break up with them because I didn't want to be alone. Even though I basically was. :frowning2:

#31 GayBatman, Aug 28, 2016
  12. timo

It's probably not my cup of tea but if others wanna be poly, feel free. Same for open relationships.

13. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

I'm just gonna give my small contribution to this thread and say that, nah, i don't mind it all. It's really a pretty appealing thing, maybe since living purely by monogamy/outright rejecting polyamory seems like it'd be a little limiting. I prefer feeling like my options are open, i guess.
    Plus, to me it seems like monnogamy just kind of... developed through society and that humans likely weren't meant to be specifically monogamous, or 'meant' to be anything for that matter.
    Marriage and kids might get a little inconvenient, i guess... but, again, that's only 'cause of the way humanity/society's grown to do thangs. I don't really care much for marriage anyway, all seems very man-made and meaningless, personally... It cute tho.

So, yeah, it's cool with me, i'm into it. You do you, bud. *Shrugs and sidesteps away*

#33 Bobsleigh1, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016
  14. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course, this is something that should be granted. I'm thinking more of the monetary benefits. I believe you should be able to visit someone in the hospital even if you're not married anyway.

15. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm polyamorous...

But yeah,I have no problems with polyamory, and in fact I know a few polyamorous people.

16. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    While I have no desire in my life right now to be polyamorous, I don't care if people want to be. As long as all parties are consenting and you are in an honest open relationship, that's all that matters. I also agree with others that being monogamous isn't the most natural thing to be.

17. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not for me. I support people who want to do it/the practice itself, whatever makes people happy is good imo.

18. PrettyinPunk

Pretty much this exactly. I respect poly peeps but I honestly can't understand it.

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't remember what the word means lol.

20. iiimee

Polyamory, by its most simple definition, means you love or date multiple people at once.