1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pick a name, any name!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RyeTheDauphin, Aug 26, 2016.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been trying to work out what name I want to use when/if I decide to transition, but I love names (especially male ones) so it's been difficult to pick just one (two if you count middle names). I'm just gonna list the ones I've liked the most and y'all can tell me which ones you like the most. I'd also be happy with any general tips about how to choose a good name or any other names you guys think would be good.

Here are the ones I like so far:

Oscar - this begins with the same letter as my first name so it might be easier for people to get used to, and I like it, but for some reason I always picture a flamboyant gay man when I think of this name which doesn't really match my personality so idk

Thomas - my grandpa died recently and this was his middle name, so I figured that maybe I could use it out of respect to him. His first name was Lindsay but I don't like that one as much

Riley - I go by this online sometimes but I'm wondering if it's too gender-neutral

Xavier - my mum said that this is one of the names they may have picked for me if I'd been a boy

Harley - I've gone off this one a bit because of all the hype around Suicide Squad and the associations with Harley Quinn, but I still think it's quite a masculine name and it reminds me of the badass Harley Davidson motorcycles, which could be cool

Sherman - I just kinda like it...it's the name of this character in a play I studied at school once who's really good at his job but also really eccentric and possibly mentally unstable and for some reason I connected with the character and could relate to him a lot

As always, any tips or advice would be much appreciated. I know I won't have to decide on this for a while but some outside input would be nice. Thanks! (&&&)

#1 RyeTheDauphin, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thomas sounds nice.

I would also say both Riley and Harley are more gender neutral given that nerds will think you are named after Harley Quinn as much as the motorcycles.

3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I like Riley. I always picture some handsome highschool athlete who gets all the girls ^^

4. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Xavier is my favourite of the list because not many names begin with X. Thomas is a solid, traditional name. I'd consider Riley and Harley to be gender-neutral, Harvey would be a more masculine variant.

5. randomconnorcon

I love Xavier. It's cool, it's not as common, and it's a little nerdy (Charles Xavier in X-Men). My three favorite things. Xavier Thomas sounds cool together.

6. drewpatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i like the name thomas!

7. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thomas and Riley both sound cool. And if you picked Thomas, you could always go by Tom.

8. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like Xavier and Thomas.

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2016 at 03:15 PM ----------

I actually like Oscar too

9. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Xavier Thomas sounds cool.

10. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like xavier and Oscar, they sound cool

11. I'm_Danni_x

I like Xavier and Thomas.

12. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Xavier and Oscar are my favourites. What helped me choose was narrowing it down to a few names and then taking turns testing them out. Like using them on forums or changing my computer username and things like that.

13. CamN15

I love Oscar!

14. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love Harley and Riley the most! :grin: Xavier is also really cool. :3

#14 Anthemic, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  15. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    xD ahaha welp.. seems the fav. here are already slated however... I do like the name levi...

16. ChameleonSoul

I think that Xavier and Thomas sound the nicest and have the most sentimentality. I think it would fit nicely to either go by Xavier Thomas or Thomas Xavier.

17. LeticiaTheLesbo

I like Oscar and Xavier. I think it would be nice to keep your initials the same, so by using Oscar you could do that. Another name I like that starts with O is Oliver. Xavier is just a great unique name!

18. Airisofparis

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i like the names Oscar and Xavier

19. flatlander48

I think you should have one sort of connection with the name you pick. It could be related to a favorite relative, favorite actor, celebrity or public figure, etc. And don't forget that even if it is a feminine name, many can be masculinized so that's not a showstopper by itself.

For my own story, I didn't think about choosing a name until I had been dressing for some time. It didn't appear to be a priority. However, over time I slowly came to the realization that the definition of a Crossdresser didn't fit very well. There were just too many differences in what I did and how I thought compared to those who are Crossdressers. The result was that I identify myself as Transgender (falling somewhere between Crossdressers and Transsexuals), but I am not planning to transition.

In thinking about a name, Donna would have been a natural (my given name is Donald), but there are too many Donald's among my immediate family and former inlaws. So, I thought about Dee and that seemed OK, but it felt like something more than one syllable was needed. I'm a BIG motorsports fan; primarily open wheel, meaning Formula 1, Indy cars, etc. although I follow 'most everything on 4 wheels and 2. I remembered that Mario Andretti's wife is named Dee Ann and that did it for me. The only thing I did was to take the space out of the middle.

Anyway, I say this to illustrate that there isn't a set process for going about this. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you like. Ultimately what's important is that it's a name that you like and can settle into.

DeeAnn

#19 flatlander48, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016