1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binder Suggestions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThatOneAlien, Aug 26, 2016.

1. ThatOneAlien

I'm still on my first binder, a GC2B half tank, but will probably be needing a new one in a bit. I haven't been super thrilled with this one though so I thought I'd see if anyone has suggestions for better ones.

There are two problems with it, 1: There's still a fairly noticeable bump. I wear loose shirts so it doesn't matter much indoors but wind is the bane of my existence. Now I've heard some people say this is normal while others say their binder gets them completely flat, so I'm not really sure about this one. I have a small chest though, used to wear an A cup, so it seems like it shouldn't be hard to bind it pretty flat.

2: It gives me pain in my ribs sometimes, even though its not that tight at all and I rarely wear it over 5 hours, much less 8.

I'm wondering if Underworks would be better, and/or if a full tank might be better than a half tank? I also considered getting a size smaller since I was on the very low end of the Small measurements, but I don't know if that's a good idea; I don't want it to be too tight. Help would be appreciated, hopefully I'll have better luck with my second binder.

2. Austin226

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't speak for Underworks binders, but I have a GC2B half tank and a full tank. I definitely prefer the full tank. I think it gets me a little flatter just due to the fact that it doesn't stop right at the ribs. That also helps with rib pain because I feel like it spreads the pressure out a little more.

As for the not getting you flat enough thing, you should check the size chart and just make absolutely sure you got the right size. I wouldn't recommend going tighter than the chart suggests because a binder that's too tight can actually act more like a push-up bra. And with a small chest, it's actually harder to get completely flat since the breast tissue is already pretty compact and there isn't really anywhere for it to go.

Good luck!

3. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had both underworks and gc2b binders. Honestly, I adore my gc2b binders so much more. Also I hate the full tank so I always buy them but end up cutting them to be the shorter length anyways. The tank style always just rides up too much and gets too hot for me, but to each their own that's just how I do.

1. I agree with Oliver about checking and making sure you got the right size, but honestly when people say that their binders get them 'completely flat' it's mostly just an expression that gets passed around in trans circles. You're basically never going to be completely flat because a binder doesn't get rid of fat, it just helps redistribute it a little bit. But honestly, having a completely flat chest would just be odd anyway because no one, not even cis men, have entirely flat chests. Don't worry about it too much! (And underworks doesn't work as well in my opinion, but that's just from my experience)

2. What kind of pain? If it's shooting stabbing sort of pain that comes on really suddenly then goes away super fast then that's a little concerning and if that happens I'd say to take off your binder asap and give your chest an hour break. If it's just aching then I'd say that's too be expected. You are putting pressure on a part of your body that isn't used to being compressed in that way. Sort of like putting on tight pants then having your waistband be sore. (Again, underworks is great, but it hurt me way more than my gc2b binder. But I also have super severe asthma so the fact gc2b was a little more forgiving and easier to breathe in was important to me)

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Underworks has some good binders. They're durable, but a common complaint is that they dig into your armpits.

Another company I highly recommend is LoveBoat. I got my first binder from them in I think 2011, and I retired it this year to get a GC2B binder (but I'll wear it on a few occasions if my other binder is drying. The binders are amazingly high quality and come in different styles so you can find what works for you (ex: zipper binders, velcro binders, pullovers and so on).

The only con is that they're pretty pricey, with my binder running me $89. I'm considered plus size by their charts, so it ran me a few dollars more and the shipping was also somewhat expensive because it was shipping from Taiwan. Good shit if you have money to throw around.

5. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had my surgery before GC2B came out, so I can't compare them based on personal experience. However, I hear a lot of feedback due to my job.

The common consensus is that GC2B binders are more comfortable, but Underworks are more effective. I'd say give Underworks a shot, because they got me (at a similar pre-op size to you) COMPLETELY flat. I wore it under my skin-tight spandex rowing uniform and passed as male.

For the rib pain, if you're wearing the correct size, it may be that your binder is ending at an uncomfortable spot for your body. Remember that the bottom few ribs are floating and not supported by a connection to the sternum. I found that if my binder tried to compress these ribs, it hurt a lot. I had to have it end at the bottom of my sternum. Again, I can't speak for GC2B, but Underworks binders can be cut to any length with a pair of scissors without damaging their effectiveness. It may be worth getting a full length binder from them and cutting it off to where ever is most comfortable for you!

6. ThatOneAlien

Yeah, I guess I wasn't really thinking completely flat, just a bit more than it is currently would be nice. I guess it could be seen as pecs but I have like no muscles anywhere else so it doesn't really work. Yeah it's just a dull pain. It doesn't actually bother me that much, I was more worried that it was doing something bad to my ribs.

Ah yeah that makes sense. I think that is where it bothers me is about where the binder ends. I'm thinking I'll try your suggestion. Probably a good idea to try Underworks anyway so I'll know which I like better. Thanks for the help everyone!