1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small wave of sadness. It's kinda hard to explain.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anthemic, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to get these small waves of depression, that will usually only last for about 30 seconds. They're like deep, yearning feelings. It's hard to describe. I think the best word I can find for it is Hiraeth. Hiraeth means: A deep, wistful, nostalgic sense of longing for home; a home that is no longer or perhaps never was. A yearning and wistful grief for people and things long gone.

I feel this feeling so strongly sometimes. And when it happens, I get very quiet and I think very deeply. It's a very sad feeling. It's like I'm missing something, or yearning for my past, and sometimes a past that never happened. When it happens, I always think about when I was younger and sometimes I can't put my finger on an exact memory that I yearn for. It's like a whole bunch of memories that I have, or memories that never happened. It sounds crazy, I know.

I used to suffer from severe depression, but I no longer do. I am treating it with Lexapro. I'm actually doing very well compared to how I was doing years ago. So, I know I don't need to see a doctor for this. It's not like it's something that is hindering my quality of life. I think I will always have this feeling at times, because it's most likely a part of my personality.

Does anyone else get this feeling?

#1 Anthemic, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. Joelouis

I'm sure I know what you mean.

It's the sort of feeling I remember having on my last day of school. I went back into the empty classroom after everyone had left and had a horrible, nauseous feeling that I couldn't explain at the time. It was like I was rooted to the spot while everyone else was walking away into the future.

Even now I still have sad feeling of my past, and think about all my old school friends. I wonder what they're doing now and how their lives have turned out. Then I think that maybe they (at least some of them) are thinking the same as me.

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's also a part of that feeling. It's sometimes like you're stuck while everyone else is moving on with their lives. But I've moved on with my life, so I don't know why I feel this at times, as well.

I'm pretty sure you are thought about. I always wonder if certain people think about me. Funny thing is, I was wondering if a certain person was thinking of me. I found out a few months later, that they wondered if I had ever thought about them.

4. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yes i get like this very often..i also used to have severe depression its just sortof fading now tho i guess ive worked it out over the years, never got on pills becuz i was afraid it would make me think more about suicide or sumthing...now i get that deep longing empty feeling and idk i feel sorta gloomy but i just let it pass me by becuz i kno theres nuthing i can do about it...usually that feeling i had connected to sumbody i would really have feeling for and i longed to be with them close but now its just the last girl and so when i get that feeling i think about her and how she never cared and i feel deeply sad but shortly after i just sortof let it go...

5. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I get that feeling often. I've been thinking about my childhood a lot recently and so I find myself remembering things I had forgotten and end up being depressed that I can't go back to a simpler time.

What's weird is if given the choice I probably wouldn't go back because there was a lot of bad stuff then too, but I still miss some of the great moments and feelings I had.

6. Joelouis

^reminds me of the lyrics from the hit by Queen - The Days Of Our Lives:

"The days were endless, we were crazy, we were young. The sun was always shining - we just lived for fun".

You young 'uns on this forum may be thinking "Silly old sods", but believe me you'll be having the same thoughts as us one day!

7. PrettyinPunk

I love words like this! I hadn't heard of this one before, thank you for enlightening me.

I think I can relate to the feeling a lot. It's not attached to depression but it can create a sense of sadness and loneliness. I've felt this for as long as I can remember and on a daily basis. For me the yearning comes from a past that's not truly mine. I wouldn't call them memories but more like trace feelings that I can't forget. It sounds crazy (maybe it is) and I really can't explain it very well, but that's how it is.

On the other hand, I'm constantly experiencing a yearning to explore, to embrace what I don't know, and to create a new future.

It makes for a bittersweet kind of feeling.

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for responding. It was nice to read all of your replies. :slight_smile:
    I can completely relate to the yearning to explore. I feel like I'm stuck, and that I can't do anything about it. I feel it almost everyday, too.

9. PrettyinPunk

Oh that stuck feeling is terrible. I don't feel that at the moment, things in my life are progressing a little slower than I'd like but it's still moving forward.

But I've been in that stuck mode before and for a long time. I hate it, it drives me mad and the lack of control sensation is very unhealthy for me. No matter what, I don't wanna deal with that again. I know life is full of obstacles and when you hit them you may end up going backwards a few paces. Its frustrating but I understand it, but that stagnant, staying in one place...it's the worst.

10. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really is. I feel like I need to get away and explore the world. I need freedom.

11. PrettyinPunk

I've said those very words many times before. I have to have my freedom, I've got a bad case of wanderlust. Sadly it's this part of me that makes it hard to keep attachments with people.

When you get the chance, go explore the world some. There's so much out there to know and experience. Maybe you'll gain some profound wisdom or just have a good time, either way it'd be worth it. That's what I believe anyway. Hope it works out for you:slight_smile: