1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honestly, how do you feel about death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by g013z, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. It wont be ok. It will be nothing.

2. idontknow12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Huh. I'm reading Looking for Alaska at the moment so I'm actually thinking about death because of that. And I'm terrified of it. I'm not gonna lie and pretend I'm one of those people who thinks it's just a part of life and it's not worth fussing over the inevitable. I don't want to face the pain of dying because whatever causes death causes unimaginable pain. And I don't want to face the unknown that comes after. What does come after? I'm an atheist, but I still believe there has to be something after death, I can't imagine eternal darkness. I think that we reincarnate. That's what I'd like to believe.

3. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think humans are just very complex biological machines. We are not that different from other animals, especially not from some great apes. They, like us, are capable of consciously differentiating themselves from others of their species and are consciously aware of themselves. They have feelings and emotions. They can recognize themselves in pictures and in the mirror and like us, some of them even have culture and pass down knowledge from one generation to the next. I find it difficult to believe we are somehow special and afforded an afterlife just because we are on top of the intellectual food chain, that seems like a really arrogant (and very human) concept.

When a vital organ fails our bodies shut down and we cease to function, just like any other machine. We are getting better at maintaining our machines and one day we will probably have found a way to maintain them forever, but that will not happen in our lifetime so death is a reality for us. Then those poor people have to figure out whether the universe really has a finite lifetime and a way to stop that from happening. I wish them the best of luck! :lol:

Death is inevitable and it can happen at any moment, so it will come when it comes and none of us have any say in it. The good news is that since I will be dead I won't know I am dead, because I won't know anything so it will be fine. What sucks is when other people in your life die and you are left missing them. :frowning2:

I am also not entirely closed off to the idea that there is an afterlife or of people being reborn, it just isn't very in line with how the rest of nature seems to work. It doesn't care about who or what you are, no one needs to be reborn or go to heaven for evolution to happen. The only thing that needs to happen is for nature itself to evolve, and the cycle of life and death is a very efficient way of doing that.

In short, I don't feel much about my own death, I just hope it happens quickly and relatively painlessly. I will be thrilled if it isn't the end, and of course part of me wishes that was true, but I can't help but be realistic about it. I am a bit envious of you all who can believe in an afterlife, you will not suffer so much in the case of a slow death, and I hope you never lose your faith. I hope one day I can believe too. :slight_smile:

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I wish technology was advanced enough for me to transfer my mental data and consciousness into a supercomputer mainframe and sustainable reactor in some sort of high tech underground bunker with the intention to improve medicinal research and evolve humanity to a more civilized standard, I have to be a little more focused on the time I exist in.

So with that said, I'll inevitably seize to exist as little more than a bone structure or later fossil, and possibly my words or art for a decade or two. But that will come to an end in time as human mortality dictates, and the universe will easily move on without me.

I don't necessarily fear death itself, but the method of cause. People here are ignorant and violent by majority, and I don't want to end up in a trunk first and a dumpster later. This fear keeps me alone, locking myself away. Currently I find it better than the alternative.

5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really think about it much, I just don't care. If there's nothing after death, I won't be able to fret about it, if there is, then that's comforting in a different way. I hope there's an afterlife, but if there isn't, I don't see why I should care. Imo it's probably better for non-religious people to just ignore death, and distract themselves.

6. theskylitup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I somewhat fear my own death, but I'm more afraid of the death others close to me. My father died years ago and ever since I've had this fear that at given moment it could happen.

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Death doesn't scare me at all. Once I'm dead, that'll be it. I've been basically dead forever before I was born and I can't remember any of that, so it can't have been that bad.

8. xClemKrczx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't give it too much thought, it's something meant to happen.

9. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think there's much to say about death. Either there's an afterlife, or there isn't. The latter seems a much more likely possibility, but either way there's not much to be gained from worrying.

Someday we might come up with a way to cheat death and live forever, but for now that is just a dream in the distant future. For now I think it's best to make the most of what we have. After all, even the universe itself will die eventually.

10. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My feelings about it come and go. Sometimes I'm utterly terrified of dying painfully, other days I know dying is inevitable and am more contempt with it, and then I'm normally afraid of what may come afterwards.

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me start of with saying that I'm a Christian, and I do believe in the afterlife. The reason I believe this is more or less the spiritual experiences I and my family members have had. My family has been quite attuned to the spiritual realm. Family members and I have encountered souls, spirits, whatever you prefer to call them. A few have also had very intense near death experiences and even heard God. If I hadn't had these chances to see with my own eyes, or hear what I have from my trusted family members, I don't think I'd likely believe in an afterlife.

However, that being said, I'm not going to claim I know everything about death. It is the great unknown- the great equalizer. I am a Christian, but I am always wondering about life and death. Maybe it's all a trick of the mind. Maybe nothing is real. Who even knows? I'm just making assumptions based off what I know and have seen as we all do.

When I was younger, I thought about death even moreso than I do now. I don't as much and I think this is because I believe a coward dies a thousand deaths, and a warrior only once. Our fears about death are natural, especially when we are potentially facing our own demise, however it also distracts us from living our lives to the best of our ability. It hinders us by causing fear.

Maybe focusing on this life is a foolish endeavor, and not a wise one. However, since I can't stop the flow of time and my inevitable death, nor the deaths of others, I think better of it and try to do the best I can in the allotted time frame I am given.

12. AmyBee

I think I'm more scared of the moment before death than I am of actual death. That moment when you realize it's over and there is no more. Confronting that finality. That really and deeply terrifies me. And there is absolutely nothing you can do that can get you out of it. No bargains to be made, no compromises, no delaying it when that time comes. You can procrastinate almost anything else that's unpleasant to deal with but there will definitely come a moment where you have no more moments to glean.

That's why what you're doing right now, why your happiness, why everyone around you are all so damned important.

13. eMei

The only thing I am afraid of is leaving those I love and what my death would do to them. As has been said... When our consciousness ceases to exist, there is nothing... I don't know, it's hard to imagine or even explain.

14. Rainsworth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Comforted by the thought of it, feel a sense of belonging to it, and terrified of it more than anything.

15. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not looking forward to it, and I don't know if I'll every truly be "at peace" with it (I wonder if anyone who claims to be ever truly is), but there's no use worrying about something that's inevitable. I want my death to be a culmination, not an interruption.

16. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope you feel better soon. A few years ago, I went through an existential crisis. What worked for me might not work for you

I personally think oblivion awaits everyone. I won't be there to care. I agree with The Satanic Bible when it says "Life is the great indulgence - death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life - HERE AND NOW!"

I think I have a healthy fear of death or maybe it's just survival instinct. I want to live until I get really bored. I am confident I will put up a fight if required

17. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am scared of death , but also fascinated by it to some respects in terms of cultures and viewpoints.

When thinking of my own death , questions circulate between my head. How will I die ? what will happen with my funeral ?? is death painful? Does life have meaning ? It is to the point where it get me anxious sometimes.

I do believe that there is some sort of afterlife( astral realm ) and that everything has some sort of purpose . It would pain me to think that life is meaningless and that when dead , nothing happens .

18. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Casual indifference if I'm to be honest. I'm more interested in making the most of this one life I know I have.

Happy days :slight_smile:

19. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a very boring take on death-

You're dead. Boom. End of story.
    You don't even know you're dead, because, well, you're dead, so whether you know something is irrelevant anymore.

It's like the year of 1879. You wren't thinking "Oh I wish I was alive," because you ddin't even have a conscious then.

20. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    this