1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to feel like this?- break up

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by nightshade163, Aug 20, 2016.

1. nightshade163

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi
    I was with my ex boyfriend from mid last year to June this year, he dumped me about 6 and a half weeks ago and it's been a very odd time.
    I am 32 but came out at 25 and he was my third serious relationship, we go in deep quickly and last autumn I got a job nearer to him and stayed with him, we both have anxiety and other issues, sadly I could not cope with the new role and had to leave it. Just before Christmas last year he got very drunk - he is a 29 year old grad student and called me scum and useless and said I was a failure for being a recovering alcoholic and a lot more, I left but we got back together.
    We had another blip in January but I got back to work and saw a therapist for anxiety and was discharged from this, he would text me saying he deserved better and such now and then when he was drinking, I made allowances as he was very busy with his studies.
    In April he said his college event was booked up but then said weeks later he hadn't wanted to go with me as he was not proud of me. he would also say things like I was not discreet and should not like The Golden Girls. In June we had another bust up and I came home- we agreed to stay together and I would see him after his studies ended, he then dumped me over the phone.
    I asked him to get back together but eventually he dropped all my things off and removed me on facebook, I messaged him on there and on a dating site I saw him on as I was feeling very conflicted - we did have a lot of good times and it was not always like the above.
    I have been blocked on messenger and facebook by him, I have made no contact for a good few days and am getting better in that I am feeling better and less stressed, the issue is that I still love him and do want him still- I feel very strange that I do want this, he said no to it a while ago and that he was drinking more due to me , I must sound a bit crazy but we did have a lot of good times, I keep thinking about contacting him at some stage for coffee to clear the air.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome.

Dump this guy from your thoughts immediately.

He is emotionally abusive, and likely has a lot of self-hatred that he is projecting onto you. You don't deserve the constant pattern of being treated like crap that you are getting from him.

It is your own low sense of self-esteem and self-worth that's getting in the way here. For some reason, unconsciously, you don't believe you deserve someone better than this. But this guy is really, really bad news, and if you stay with him, all he's going to do is continue to tear you down.

I would strongly suggest getting back into therapy and spending some time getting to the root of the self-esteem issues and working through them. Once you've done that, you'll have a much healthier outlook on relationships and will see just how abusive and wrong the relationship with this guy is.

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Chip. This guy and situation is bad news, and you describe lots of huge red flags - to begin with, the hostile behavior while drinking, as well as, to be honest, the fact that you got very close very fast, even moving within a matter of months, only to go into a long period of several breakups, one after the other.

I don't know him, but I suspect that the breakups were an essential part of the relationship for him - that in a way, leaving you, and then "allowing" you to patch things up with him, was proof of your affection (though a better word might be "loyalty"). I wouldn't be surprised if he offered another chance to get back together, but I would strongly advise you against that. Beyond just being mean, this guy could be downright dangerous, and physical violence might become a factor in the future, if it hasn't already.

You say that things aren't always bad, but they never are in any relationship - otherwise nobody would have any reason to stick around. But ask yourself, honestly, if you've been happy overall with this person - in the space of a year, he's removed you from your home, broken up with you multiple times, drunk often and excessively, and sent you mean and cruel messages often.

Being rewarded for your "loyalty" may occasionally feel good, but I doubt this was what you hoped for what you first met him. I would recommend not only cutting ties with him, but moving back where you lived previously.

4. Dorothy39

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Even I agree with Chip. When a man has low self-esteem, it is important that you see it and feel it. I would suggest you to forget everything and start a new chapter of life.

5. AAASAS

You just have to wait it out, there is no immediate fix. Don't know if it is worth being with someone that you argue with and calls you scum; even if drunk. That is pretty harsh.