1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asterisk in trans*

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by DemiLiHue, Aug 19, 2016.

1. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello! I was looking at the gender options and saw that the transgender options had an asterisk (*) I completely understand why it was used but it was dropped due to been transphobic and unnecessary. So I request it to be taken

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is really something that has been debated with differnet results within many different transgender spaces. Depending on where you look, or who you talk to, people all have different yakes on the astrick. There are people on both sides of the issue, some saying that it is inclusive, and others saying that it is not. For now, there is the box where members can choose their own option. That is what i would suggest if people are offended by the asterick. There are other members that are not offended, and consider the asterick a part of their identity.

3. iiimee

:/ I actually didn't know what that was for before now. Now that I now, I've changed my name to silently state my opinion on the matter. XD

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always figured it meant "etcetera" as in "or non binary"

But then again, I haven't always been the brightest pineapple in the box now.

5. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right, it does mean that. But that's why it's invalidating non binary people. That they're not "trans enough"

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2016 at 09:22 PM ----------

But I ask it to be taken because it's less polemic to not have the asterisk than to have it. Most members do not know what it means, that's why they keep it. I do t really see why keep the asterisk as a community. The amount of people that know about it and feel like it's not inclusive is much greater

6. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I changed my gender from "male" to "male (cis*)" to help out transgender people and make them feel like normal members of their gender. And I do have an asterisk. I don't mind it.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I said before, if you personally do not agree with the asterick, then you do not have to use it. There are many that do identfy with the asterick. The asterick was there before, and will likely remain as a defult option. The asterick is not meant to exculde, but it's meant to be inclusive. Just like many other things though, there are some that have come up with theories ways that it is racist, or just not inclusive. The number of people that feel the asterick is inclusive is about the same as the numvber of people that think that it is not. Many that I have talked with on this site have been for including the asterick.