1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preventing Razor Bumps on Legs???

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by thesonoferik, Aug 17, 2016.

1. thesonoferik

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. I've recently started presenting as more feminine and have started shaving my legs, but every time I do my thighs break out in razor bumps about 24 hrs after shaving. Anyone know how to prevent them?

I've googled some, but what I've tried hasn't worked.

Here's my routine:
    Warm shower to soften hair, turn off water, lather with shaving cream, shave in one smooth motion up my leg (with out going over the same area multiple times), finally rinse with cold water. I use a bic soleil.

Any tips???

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most girls I know don't shave above-the-knee unless they're going to be showing that area. If it's just your thighs that are the problem, I would suggest not shaving that part unless you have to.

#2 Rickystarr, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  3. thesonoferik

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would if I didn't live in florida where it's hot 90% of the year. Shorts are a must. I've also got dark hair so it's obvi when I've been neglecting the razor.

4. AmyBee

You could try using baby oil after the warm water. Some people say use it instead of shaving cream or gel, but I use it WITH them. I just did a Google search about that and I found one horror story and one positive result. So maybe they cancel each other out.

Another thing is use your regular razor on your lower legs and after you rinse with cold water and dry off, use an electric shaver on your thighs.

And one more thing... if you can find those skin buffing hair remover sheets that are like super-fine sandpaper? Maybe those would work on your thighs, too. I'm not sure if they're so easy to find. I only found them ONE time, but I used them up and was pretty happy with the results.

5. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I shave my entire body and I swear by Goldbond powder or the moisturizer. It's because of the zinc in it.

6. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hair removal creme instead?

7. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ooh good idea from Kal. What is it, Veet? Jus don't use it if you are already inflamed or it hurts! And it stinks! I can't imagine it would give you ingrown hairs though.

8. Delta

When I used to do something about my body hair, I would get ingrown hairs and irritation from razors, but hair removal creams didn't irritate my skin, and left fine tips on the hair so it couldn't ingrow. It may or may not work for you, but you can try it. Different types have different qualities, so don't be afraid to try multiple brands.

Interestingly enough, the least irritating cream I found, I got at the dollar store. You really don't know until you try. :lol:

9. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol I'm in central florida!
    The best thing I've found is whatever conditioner you use on your hair (remember quality counts). I put it on the area to be shaved while in a hot shower and let it sit for at least 2 minutes. I use a woman's razor for sensitive skin and try to always shave with the direction of hair growth. Then I use a lotion with AHA or salosilyc (sp?) Acid depending on how bump/acne prone the area is. The mild acids inhibit bacteria and help your skin exfoliate, helping prevent bumps and breakouts

10. RouxMunster

Coconut oil!
    It makes your razor gunky but I swear by it.

Be careful though, it makes everything slippery!

11. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    always shave with the hair growth not against the hair growth, so if the hair is laying downward, then shave down not up

12. stoutdriver79

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have the same problem with shaving my thighs. You need to exfoliate before you shave, this lets all their hairs stand up rather than laying against the body. If the hair is long use clippers to trim it down. I usually only shave with a razor from just above the knee down. If I am wearing shorts or something they aren't usually above the knee but I will use my clippers and trim the hair as close as possible. I make a scrub with either sugar or salt. I mix coconut oil with fine sea salt until you get a mix that is between liquid and solid. I scrub my legs from feet to hips with that mix, then shave. It will be the smoothest shave you'll ever have.

good luck.

13. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exfoliate. I get bad razor bumps on my face and used to on my legs. Just exfoliate well using one of those shower gloves with some soap on it and it does the job pretty well.

14. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And shave slowly slowly slowly if you aren't doing that already!!