1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever Been Mistaken for Gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by dregj, Aug 17, 2016.

1. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I met a number of women who i thought were in to me
    really funny ,friendly and so on
    until i realised they thought i was going to be their new gay best friend
    rather than Bi-lover
    has this ever happened to anyone else ?
    :bang:

2. SystemGlitch

I've had a kinda similar thing, where guys think I'm a lesbian woman even though I'm a pansexual man. I'll hang around with them and because I'm fairly masculine-presenting, but still clearly AFAB, they peg me as a butch lesbian rather than a man. Very frustrating sometimes. :dry:

3. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My grandma thought I was gay back when I was first realizing that I was trans, she knew I wanted to wear girl clothes and that was her thought.

4. xtra1975

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    When I was 25 I was working at a gym when one of the teenage girls who worked there just asked me point blank if I was gay. I've only realized a year ago at age 39 that I'm very bi and had not let myself recognize my gay attractions, so I shot back a firm no very quickly. Funny now when I look back I realize that the quickness and intensity of my "no" was because I refused to allow myself to think I could be. Maybe it was because I spent a lot of my down time working there chatting comfortably with the ladies and only talking to the guys when they are talking to me, haha.
    I tend to prefer female friendship and have my whole life. I'm sure at least 2 of my very good female friends in high school had their suspicions. They would make little comments every once in a while as if they were joking, but I think they were trying to help me be comfortable with myself. They also knew that I had dated a couple of girls in high school, so they probably weren't sure, which makes sense because I am bi.

5. Brytaleith

Probably not who you were expecting a reply from, but in fact, yes, i have been mistaken for gay. :slight_smile:
    It was a small thing. Basically, someone asked just a couple months ago if I was lesbian because up till then, I hadn't shown any interest towards boys, and my only close friend was another girl (who, by the way, is dating someone else).
    I guess it was somewhat of a reasonable suggestion, since the person asking didn't know me very well.

6. Ham4Ham

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Literally every time I go out, I'm pretty sure-- only girls hit on me. Also I am 100% sure my parents think I'm a lesbian, ever since I got my undercut. It's slightly frustrating, but mostly amusing.

7. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    wow didn't think id get this many response
    cheers

8. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sure. Though I'm not sure many people have said it to me if they thought it.

Actually there was one time I had a girl ask me if I was gay because I didn't look at some hot woman who walked by. I just shrugged it off

In a sense I think it's weird to be bi in that I'm not straight and I'm not gay. I'm somewhere in between. So if someone asks if I'm gay I have to say "no", and then say "I'm bi". so they don't think I'm straight. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. MakoShark

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pansexual and I SHOW more interest in girls (but to me all genders are same)but being physically in a female body
    (hate it) makes people think I'm lesbian when I look at girls

10. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    most people refuse to believe im bi
    "nope we've gotta ourselves a good 'ole fashioned poofter here"

#10 dregj, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  11. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :/ hmm... well.. for many years they assumed that however, I've never had a distinct specific attraction towards males nor did I ever think I was male.

12. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm the opposite here, but people don't suspect that I'm into guys. It's a bit annoying in that regard because in their in eyes I'm not feminine enough.

13. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    anyone been mistaken for straight by lgbtqia people?

14. AmyBee

Yes to the original question and yes to the being mistaken for straight by LGBTQIA people. To the former I usually just say, "Yeah, I am, but not in the sense you mean."

15. AllAlison

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ive been othe people's "fashionable gay friend" a lot. but those who 'mistake' me for gay alas arent hose who wont to fuck me :frowning2:

16. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Back in the days when I was totally in the closet, I met a younger guy (he was 20 and I was five years older). I'd broken up with a woman about six months before so I was comfortably confident that I was 100% straight. But I developed a very strong crush on this younger guy and we actually became close friends for awhile. I remember one evening a very close female friend asked "Are you two sleeping together?" And she went on to say she felt totally ignored by both me and him whenever she spent time with us. Because we were totally inseparable. But the funny thing is, after a few drinks he would turn totally homophobic and eventually we drifted apart because the romantic tension between us both was too intense. About the same time, one night at a friend's party, another guy saw me flirting with a woman and said very loudly for all of us to hear: "G's bisexual, then." I wanted to disappear but at the same time I was aware he was right. I still have some contact with the younger guy and he seems to enjoy meeting up with me more than I enjoy meeting up with him.
    Of course the female friend and the guy at the party were more aware of my sexuality than I was at that time - they weren't mistaking me for gay or bi, they recognised it in me. A couple of years later I admitted to myself that I was bisexual.

---------- Post added 1st Sep 2016 at 12:55 AM ----------

Here in Australia we are in the middle of an ugly public debate about marriage equality and there's this guy who runs the Australian Christian Lobby and he's one of those homophobic haters who we all love to hate. A couple of months ago he went on national television and said marriage equality should not introduced because if it was, and he said "I'm married" then no one would know if he was in a straight or gay relationship and this would be an infringement on his right to be automatically recognised as a straight white married man. The fool seriously meant it.

17. dudette

all the time mate!!!

18. Linthras

Linthras Guest

AFAIK only of the exact opposite; ie being straight.

19. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No one's ever said it to my face, no. The people who I'm not friends with literally hardly notice me. That's a good thing. It means I can be friends with anyone I want to without people I don't like bugging me or calling me a lesbian. I know that my brother's been mistaken for gay though. He's actually just a straight romantic who's shy around girls lol. But one of his friends came out saying that he had a crush on him. My bro had to turn him down. :frowning2: That's probably the only time my brother wished he wasn't straight, heh. He's one of the nicest straight guys I know tbh.

20. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Girls always seem to know if I'm not straight. Guys are more dense. It's the way I carry myself and talk?