1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattoo Ideas

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've made a similar thread sometime ago but have since changed my mind, and seeing as that is an old thread, I didn't really want to revive it, so instead I created a new thread so that other members can bounce their tattoo ideas off of the rest of us, get advice, etc.

I have 3 tattoos, and have a gazillion more tattoo designs in mind. (I take back my words of, "Just this one, then it's done") :lol:

I'm not going to bore you with pictures of my tattoos here too, I've posted them in so many other threads, I think most have seen them already.

Well, I have some great ideas, and have spoken to my tattoo artist about it, and got a quote on the one I plan on getting next. Now I just need to save up some cash and actually go and get it done. I know that I want a feather and the word "believe". But now I'm stuck again. It's the other way 'round now. I know I want the feather but not sure about the word(s) anymore :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I decided to get a complete phrase with the feather (IF I decide to get any writing at all)

Then my ankle tattoo (Dragon symbol) will be covered up with a cute little worm/bug/whatever that thing is

...and finally, to keep the "dragon" part, I'm going to get...[drumroll please] ...a dragon. It's going to look like the one in this picture, but I want it to look a bit more feminine, so I've spoken with my artist and said I want hibiscus flowers with it. She will design it when I've got the money and then I can get it done.

Please feel free to share your tattoo ideas, or give input to other posters' ideas (Or mine :grin:)

Attached Files:

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With the dragon symbol, be sure the meaning is correct before you get anything done. I've seen people get tattoos in another language and it's nothing like the intended meaning.

3. PrettyinPunk

The tattoo I wanna get is a combination of symbols that mean something very important to me. It'll be a larger tattoo in tribal style on my back. I've got the design all sketched out and I'm touching it up on Photoshop. Just need to find the right artist.

Feathers are pretty well liked. What phrase would you go with? The kind in the picture below incorporate words without taking too much away from the feather. I was thinking also, you could have a feather but the tip is a quill and the words would spill from it.

The little worm thing is cuteish I suppose, probably unique.

The dragon/hibiscus combo sounds beautiful! Are you thinking of having the whole Dragon surrounded by the flower? Or have the Dragon bloom from it in a more abstract way?

Attached Files:

4. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The dragon symbol was my first tattoo, which I'm hopefully getting covered up this Saturday. I know for certain that it means dragon, I checked online, and even asked a real Chinese woman what it means, and she said it means dragon, so that part I'm sure of. But it was an impulsive tattoo, and I want something more unique (The worm thingy). The girl I got the quote from for the feather tattoo, has opened her own shop, and is having a special on Saturday, she sent me a message on WhatsApp and said she's not making appointments for then, but she will make an exception for me. She's so sweet! So yeah, I'm pretty psyched about that.

The phrase I want with the feather is "Believe in yourself" (See attachment in my opening post :slight_smile:) The dragon/hibiscus tattoo will be the whole dragon, with hibiscus flowers here and there, sort of blending with it. The dragon will be blue and green with orange eyes and tongue, and the flowers will be two shades of purple. I will leave it to my artist to draw up a unique design. It's going to be on my outer forearm, so have a relative size of space to work with :grin:

Your tattoo idea sounds awesome. Tribal is always a winner. Overused maybe, but it always looks cool. Yours probably won't look like the "typical" tribal designs, as you mentioned that is will basically be a combination of different symbols, which is unique for sure. Most artists worth their salt will be able to do it for you, or advise you on size, etc.

5. PrettyinPunk

Ah sounds very cool! :icon_bigg Are you eventually going to get full sleaves?

Thanks! I've always liked tribal tattoos but I think it's the perfect way to combine what I want too. I've seen work from a lot of artists and they're incredibly talented. My issue is making sure the artist cares why I'm getting the tattoo. And more importantly how they make their inks. I'd like the 'cleanest' inks being used and the places nearby me are a little shady.

There's a few places I've looked at online that seem good but their in another state. I know it sounds a little particular but I just want it to be perfect.:confused:

6. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure about the full sleeves yet, only time will tell. My best female friend is covered in tattoos. She's got full sleeves, chest piece, back pieces and her legs from the knees down are also covered. She's one colourful friend (And I'm not only talking about her ink, lol). I guess being in her presence a lot has "normalized" the whole tattoo idea, though I've gotten my ink before her and I really became close. Got my first tat in 2007, second one in 2010 and third one last year. Everybody's gotta start somewhere, eh? :grin:

Regarding the tattoo shop/artist: TRUST YOUR GUT! If they seem shady, DON'T get inked there! The artist I'm with started out in a small shop at a flea market. They've moved places twice since, and I've "moved" with them. I know of another artist who works really well, but she's a bit far from me, and expensive and works slow. I get that a good tattoo shouldn't be rushed, but this artist takes smoke breaks in-between. But I'm happy with my current artist(s)/shop. And just remember, cheap tattoos look cheap. Do thorough research before you decide on an artist. Go check out their shop (if possible), maybe stand and watch how they work, ask a lot of questions and again, trust your gut!

7. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a friend of my dads who is an arborist and he really really loves trees, so he has this beautiful tattoo of a tree on the back of his neck that I've always loved. I've drawn ideas of a slightly different one that I might get that would be bigger and have the branches growing along my shoulders :3. I've always loved nature, especially trees and so it would be something to symbolise that and remind me that i have that passion. I guess it's important to me that a tattoo has a meaning behind it, but I also want it to be something really beautiful that is interesting to look at aswell.

#7 jaska, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  8. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I bet it'd look epic! Tattoos should definitely have a personal meaning, or else one might grow tired of it. The one I'm going to cover up on Saturday (Chinese dragon symbol) was an impulsive tattoo, but I won't say I regret it per sé. It has a meaning to me, even though it was impulsive. I was born in the year of the Dragon. I knew I wanted a tattoo, just wasn't sure WHAT to get. So my sister and I went to the tattoo shop, I paged through one of the books, and chose this one.

My sister also got a tattoo that day, and she also wants to change it up. It's a curved line type of design, and she wants to change it to a gecko, which would look pretty awesome. The only problem with her is, she doesn't have a high pain tolerance level (It's also on her ankle), she wanted to pass out with THAT one, so I don't know how she's going to fare with a bigger, more detailed piece. She wants to tattoo her daughter's name somewhere too, but we'll see if she actually goes through with it... Lol.

9. ScarletWitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I want to get a semicolon on my left wrist for the Semicolon Project, "Turn and Face the Strange" on my right forearm as a tribute to David Bowie, and "imperfection is beauty, madness is genius" on my back. :slight_smile:

10. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All awesome ideas! :thumbsup:

11. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am thinking about getting a few Harry Potter quotes as tattoos, and use one as apart of my semicolon tattoo when I get it. Also dog tags with my dad's name, birth year, and the year he died. Hopefully also a mutual tattoo of 2 crossed arrows with my best friend.

12. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Sounds awesome! I want dog tags too, but not sure where to get them. I want one with my name, and one with the bisexual colours. The one with my name will be easy. Buy a blank dog tag and have it engraved. The bisexual one... Hmmm... No idea where to get a hold of that one. Maybe they'd have one for sale at Pride??? (October 1st). I love how they "jingle-jangle" like silver coins (Guess where I got that from :lol:slight_smile: :grin:

13. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I ever got one, it would be a small pride flag no one could see it.

14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will be getting a phrase in Gallifreyan code (it looks kind of like clockwork) on my right shoulder/upper arm as homage to Doctor Who and because the quote in question resounds with me. It will be "Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."

I'm thinking about doing this sometime next year. I also have some other ideas I'm turning over in my head.

15. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom always says, "What's the point of having a tattoo where nobody can see it?" And I'm just like, "I know it's there, and that's all that matters" - So I'm not judging that you want to keep it out of sight. It has a special meaning to you, you know it's there, and I think it's great :thumbsup:

Sounds awesome! Start saving up now, if you haven't already, because I know that many times, money is the reason for postponing getting a tattoo. That's what keeps me from doing everything I want right away. But there's lots of time to do the things I want :grin:

16. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I remember a guy with Japanese tattoo which meant COLD instead of COOL. :lol:

17. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have so many tattoo ideas. However, I am poor, and still relying on my parents. So while my dad might be excited to see me become the little punk rock princess, my mom would absolutely lose her stuff.

The one I'm absolutely sure I want is the drill of a Big Daddy (from Bioshock) on the underside of my left forearm. So it would kind of look like the attachment, except maybe more in the style of Da Vinci's sketches? The ideal goal would be that my entire arm would be a deep sea sleeve, with the end of the sleeve/ocean floor turning into the city of Rapture. But I'm not completely sure how it would all work out.

I'll also probably get the Paramore symbol behind my ear, and barbed wire around both of my ankles. :slight_smile:

Attached Files:

18. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've done a BioShock tattoo when I was first starting out in the industry! It was a little sister tattoo. I love that game.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Get one of me!!!

20. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds pretty awesome! My parents aren't the biggest fans of tattoos and piercings but they've gotten used to it. Sort of... lol