1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help coming out on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by comingoutgay21, Aug 14, 2016.

1. comingoutgay21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone
    I have started a new trend for this as I am going to be coming out on Tuesday
    As my close friends are coming down on 2 of them there both like brothers to me so I'm really nervous but it time I need to come out so if you have any advice I would really apriceate it :slight_smile::slight_smile:

2. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just be prepared for any backlash that may happen. If any of them act negatively towards you, just let them know that you are the same person you were the last time you were with (or talked with) them. But, hopefully that won't happen. :grin:

I'd personally come out to someone you think is more likely to have a positive reaction, but that's all up to you. Good luck!

3. exist

exist Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Stay calm and confident :slight_smile: If they are nice people, they will have a good reaction and it will be fine :slight_smile: I hope it goes well ^^

4. Mattjstead

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me? When I told my Wife and Mother-In-Law and Bestfriend I wrote a letter and read it.
    Now.. I'm also a writer (Articles/Book/etc), so that is my natural.
    I think as for "how", that is where YOU get to take the first precious step of being...You.

Now...Maybe you go for Rainbow Flags, Streamers, and HRC Bumper Stickers (Joke...your supposed to laugh..ha!)...or a dinner. When it comes up, or more formal.

If they are your TRUE friends, they will accept you and realize this is who you have always been and nothing really changes. (As with me...It was one of those, "Finally! About damn time!"). Or they may be totally shocked.
    I think the strongest thing to emphasize is that you are no different...You are the same, you are just strengthening your friendships.

And for me? Humor. Over the past week humor and laughter and 'joking" has been the saving grace and truly healing and we go through changes.

Hope this helps,
    MJay

#4 Mattjstead, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  5. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My only thought is to try to mention while talking to them how it will have a minimal affect on your being friends, you won't hit on them etc. Lots of straight guys are immediately afraid of that, talk about big egos...

6. comingoutgay21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone thanks for all the advice

I feel they will both be ok whit it but I still feel so anxious and nervous
    I just don't know how to say it should I just say I'm gay or how should I bring it up :confused:
    I have a lot of history whit them both we know each other for 10 years or more and I just have hid it for so long I don't know how they'll take it .:slight_smile:

7. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could say it right at the beginning but don't hesitate on it, you have to really sound confident if you do it this way.

You could also start it up with "I have something that I haven't told you but it's not something bad, it's just a part of me that you're unaware of. I feel like telling you this could make us even more close ( as friends obviously ) and I trust you both a lot, so here it goes..." or anything telling them that they're precious to you and that it will help the bond you have with them.

Good luck! We believe in you ^^

8. comingoutgay21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone thanks again for all the replies I am

Nervous to say the least but I know it's something I want to do
    So I am starting to figure out what to say but I just don't know I think I should tell them how much they mean to me and that I really do care about them and that I think of them as my. Brothers:slight_smile:

9. MayaBee

Good luck! It'll be hella relieving :slight_smile:
    I always loved the feeling after coming out and getting a positive reaction. Still I am too shy to tellmy parents, but eh that's another story.
    So, the best for you, buddy :slight_smile:

10. comingoutgay21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone

How are you my friends will be here around 5.30 so any last minute of advice are apriceated

Wish me look:slight_smile::eek:

11. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just be yourself. Take a deep breath.

12. comingoutgay21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone thank for all the support :slight_smile:

I did it omg (!)(!)(!)(!)(!):grin::grin:

I came out to my two closest friends and they were completely fine they said that they were fine and that it did not change a thing I was so happy it felt like a ton of bricks was lifted of my chest I still have a long way to go but and will still be looking for advice but I can finally
    Say IM OUT OF THE CLOSET to my two best friends how are more like my brothers omg I nearly cried I'm so happy but I did not but what mad me laugh was the fact that they came down and we went out for food and when we came back to the house we sat down as I had all ready said I had something really import to tell them and when we sat down they said right what's it and they jokingly said that they had thought I was dying or that I'm gay and I just said ye that's it I'm gay and they were bout completely fine whit it that said it did not change our friendship and that they were happy that I came out to them but what really made me laugh was the fact that they did not expect it at all but hey I out :grin::grin::grin:

As I said this is only the beginning of my story but I still will need help but I just feel so happy right now :grin::grin::grin:

13. faustian1

That is wonderful. And it's what friends are for. Congratulations.

14. ERS2016

ERS2016 Guest

Congratulations - a fantastic step. I can't imagine how you feel now!

15. Guff

HALLELUJAH XD

You finally got outta here. I'll admit the closet is more lonesome without ya in here but you're out! ;D LOL

And 2 good reactions? Niceeeee

16. exist

exist Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations :slight_smile: that's good news!!

17. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your good friends!

Happy for you that it went so well, and that the worries didn't materialise in the end. It sounds like that this coming out has given you some more confidence in being open about yourself. You'll probably find that the next coming out will feel a little easier. :slight_smile:

18. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great stuff. Congrats.

19. comingoutgay21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone

Thanks for all the advice and support I really appreciate it I am feeling free after coming out to my two closet friends

Now for the next step I am gong to be coming out to my mum and Gran by letter I will be giving them each a letter.
    And because I am going to a college open day I will not be her for the Saturday 27th and I won't be back till the Sunday so my Gran will be minding the house and my mum will be coming to the open day and then she will be going to her boyfriends house so I will give to here and tell her to read it when she gets home and then I will be going to my friends house as all my close ban of friends will be there including my friend I already told so I will be coming out to the rest of my close friends that Saturday night at the get together. So it will give my mum and Gran time to read the letter on there own and i will talk to them on the Sunday.

So any advice would be really appreciated on the coming out to my other close friends and also if you think it's a good idea about the letter

Also here's a copy of the letter for my mum and Gran let me know if there is anything you think I should change

Dear Mum,

I’m sorry for saying all this by a letter but I think this is the best way and gives us time to think about it before talking later on. All I ask is that rather than tell anybody you wait and talk to me first.

I am writing this letter to tell you that I am gay. I have know since I was 12 that I was but have only managed to accept over the last year or so. I had always known I was different. Deep down, I think I knew I was gay. But I resisted my feelings as I didn't want to be labelled as homosexual at that time of my life. It was a dark secret that I kept it to myself and I believe that I was born this way. It has just taken me so long to accept it because of me trying to fit in and be the perfect son and I just can't keep the lie up anymore.

I know this is not a phase and is who I am meant to be. I would have told you sooner but but I just did not know how too. I have felt like I was locked in a cage for so long and have finally be given the key.I am still the same person I was I'm still your son except that I don't have to hide this part of me anymore. For the first time in a long time I finally feel free and happy as I'm righting this letter.
    After all as you always told me you don't care as long as I'm happy.

I hope you understand why I have hide this from you and everyone I wish I could have told you sooner but I just was not ready

I'm sorry for saying this by letter but I just could not say it any other way
    I hope you know that I love you and I will always be your son and that this dose not change how I am I hope that your happy and proud of me and If you want to talk about it I will try and answer any questions you may have .

Love Chris

Ps I have given Gran a letter as well

So any advice is appriceated thanks again too everyone :slight_smile::confused::slight_smile::confused::slight_smile:

20. Guff

Good luck with everything you do going forward. :grin: