1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NB coming out?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Secrets5, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Has anybody whose non-binary come out to people they know? If yes, what was their reaction? I'm talking about parents, other family members and new friends that you meet. To give an idea: I live in the UK in an LGBT accepting area [even the religions are mostly accepting], my mum accepts the LGBT but not sure beyond those four letters, my dad doesn't listen much and stares into space at the TV when talking about things, my brother uses ''gay'' in a negative way and uses the word ''t****y" sometimes. Not sure about new friends because I obviously haven't met them yet [I'm going to uni Sep. 2017].

2. randomconnorcon

My family are... going about this weirdly... to me. My cousin came out as agender, with a new name and a want to use they pronouns and our family were like "yeah sure whatever you say", not really believing them except for my dad. Then, a couple of months later, I came out as transmasculine (male and agender) and they were like "okay, I believe you, your cousin is copying you" despite the fact that they came out first and we didn't tell the other anything beforehand. It's just because my cousin is five years younger than me. Even so, my dad only gets my name and pronouns wrong to my face (we've established we're a family of assholes who live to annoy each other); the rest - apart from the aforementioned cousin and my youngest siblings (ages 10, 6, and 3) because they're still trying to grasp it - don't even bother, as far as I'm aware. At least, they don't to my face.

It's a situation I no longer know how to handle, so have - probably wrongly - chosen to just ignore them.

All friends, though, both mine and my cousin's, have been great. Not even a slip up (to my face anyway), which is always a happy thing. I can only hope my family just need to get used to it or, if I have to wait, see physical changes from T to get it.

#2 randomconnorcon, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  3. Synesthesia

Yeah my best friend and brother. My brother actually knows another bi-gender person according to him. Despite that he still doesn't really get it, I almost feel like he refers to me being a woman more now but I think I'm probably just more aware or something. If he can't get it, and my best friend can't, I don't know.

That's the best I can hope for.

4. GenderSciFi

I came out as nb to my family and friends, and as non-specifically just "trans" at work. New friends and acquaintances will know about it because of my pronouns. But at the moment I mostly make friends within the LGBT scene. So, no bad reactions there.
    My parents and siblings try to be very supportive. They were instantly like "We love you no matter what". But that's only what they say. Then they dance around the whole issue all of the time, mess up pronouns and are, in general, a bit ashamed of it. I don't know if it would be easier if I was a straight up trans man or if I had shown signs of this earlier. They certainly hope I'm not going to medically transition, so talking to them about this will be like a second coming out.
    I think that people treating it as a bit of a joke or a made-up thing is often the worst that will happen to you. And that can still be very bad if it makes you feel invalidated. So take your own time with coming out!

5. MrSkittles

I came out as Agender to best friends and cousins and they all took it well. I told them about my pronouns and new name and they accepted me. They still slip up but not on purpose so it's fine with me

6. exist

exist Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm coming out very, very slowly and only to people who are most important to me and will understand.

#6 exist, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  7. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been out as nonbinary (agender) for roughly 6 years and have had a variety of responses. However, most of them have been positive! I grew up in a very conservative town, and even now live in a very conservative area although I'm also a university student so people tend to be a little bit more liberal on campus. My wife was instantly amazing with everything when I came out to her and has never let me down once; my mother took about a year to really accept things but now she's good about using my pronouns and occasionally asks what good 'gender neutral' terms for words are and how to use correct language in front of potentially trans strangers. Even teachers have been great about it (although I'm a gender studies major so that definitely helps). And my coworkers are taking everything in stride, although they're still having difficulties using my pronouns.

Honestly, you will find people who are awful and won't accept who you are. Dump them in the trash. You don't need people like them in your life and you'll be better off without them. The people you find who accept you (and there will be plenty! Don't worry about that) will be infinitely better to have around and in your life.

8. GayPugs

When I came out to my mom she was really accepting...it made me feel really good. I haven't come out to my dad but I'm 99% sure his reaction will be this: "Huh. Dunno what that is but cool! Wanna play Mario Kart?" and my brother just said it's a phase. My friends have all been great about it except one who refused to call me my preferred name and pronouns but...she calls me Chara (it's a nickname) and technically that character is supposed to be Genderless so I don't really care. Still working on coming out to my ex...

9. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my parents twice and about ten friends - maybe more. All my friends are great, they immediately tried to switch names (my best friend is having some trouble but she's also the only one who uses they/them). Pronouns however is a different story. Apart from the aforementioned best friend, one used he/him once and everyone else still uses she.
    My parents said my friends could call me anything I wanted them to, but due to my siblings (7,5 and 2) it would be too hard to explain to them so I'm stuck with olivia at home. Mum and Dad let me wear whatever I want and my hair is really short but I'm not allowed to get a binder.
    All in all, it could be better but it could also be a lot worse. By the way, I came out to everyone by letter but the people I'm not as close to by text.