1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready To Give Up My Same-Sex Pursuits Due To The Differing Dynamics Of Same-Sex Roman

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by caliwoman, Aug 12, 2016.

1. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I am freaking tired. I met a woman whom I very much like and we talk and text everyday. The last few nights, we've spoken for 3+ hours every night. But we have on and off tiffs that are basically, misunderstandings. This hasn't been the first time that misunderstandings have immediately and intensely cropped up in these more than friendship relationships w/women (although I've never been w/a woman, physically).

Is it just me or do I pick women who engage in confusing communication? I know I also play a part in this, without a doubt. Alas, I don't have these levels of obstacles with men. With women, and now one in particular, it's a constant battle of misinterpretations, misperceptions, and assumptions. Constantly reading between the lines, judging a tone that is hysterically, imperceptible due to the fact that it's probably a text, and yada, yada, yada.

I'm married. I can deal with my husband. I mean, he's a man.

A woman? I don't get her and I am her.

I'm married to a sensitive man and I'm the one usually saying to him, "Look, I can't read your mind, just tell me!"
    And it drives me crazy. But my interaction with women? Ugh, 100x's as bad, because I can dominate my husband. Women? I tend to butt heads with strong women, vying for control.

I find myself saying to these women, "What's the matter? Just tell me? Are you upset? Are you upset? Are you upset? Oh, you're saying your not upset...let me ask you 3 more times until you finally admit what I knew all along: YOU WERE UPSET!!"

I suck at these dynamics. I feel like giving up because I suck at them. When I don't get "someone," I look at them like a science fair project.

I'm very honest when I communicate. Because I'm so new to this, I know I'm gonna be confusing or come across as hot-and-cold, but I'm trying my best. When I apologize, I mean it. When I'm upset, I say it.

Ugh...maybe I'm just not good at this and should pack it in. I get men. I've been married to one for over a decade. Women confuse the hell out of me and because it's usually a much more emotional experience (vs. a man), I get upset quicker. :frowning2:

2. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Ready To Give Up My Same-Sex Pursuits Due To The Differing Dynamics Of Same-Sex R

You should read your post but imagine yourself as a straight man. Lol that's what straight men say about women all the time, everything is a puzzle to figure out, or it seems like a game but a game where the females hand is stacked with trump cards.
    I wish I could offer some actual insight into your problem, but I've been with the same women for 20 years, it took me close to 10 years to finally get her to tell me exactly what the problem was rate away without having to playing 20 questions every time.

#2 Stewie, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  3. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Re: Ready To Give Up My Same-Sex Pursuits Due To The Differing Dynamics Of Same-Sex R

Lol! I know, Stewie, I sound like a guy. "Me no get women" and then I go make a sammich. Lol. Thank you for your input, it did make me laugh and I'm glad you "get" your wife. Lol.

4. PrettyinPunk

I don't 'get' when people say they don't get another gender. Maybe because I can relate to both genders well I don't understand the confusion. There are certain things that men and women do that perplex me but I think it's more a confusing human being thing than gender related.

Men and women (and anyone in between)can be vastly different but also sometimes pretty much the same. The best approach is to make sure you communicate properly. Your problem may be the woman your talking with communicates and deals with things in a very different way than you. If your not aware of this and how to work around it of course you'll end up butting heads. Starting a relationship and maintaining it via online only can make things even more frustrating. In fact that's why I know it wouldn't work for me. And maybe this woman you've met, as much as you like her just doesn't work well with you in a relationship sense.

I'm also a honest and blunt person so I know I'd never work well with anyone who was overly sensitive or couldn't speak honestly back with me. Real relationships, can be hard to make and keep, but if you can overcome your partners differences and learn and grow with them Its worth it. Relationships can also be easy but not because you've settled.

Regardless of gender you should be with someone that makes you feel truly loved. You should be able to acknowledge their flaws and accept and love them for them, instead of saying "I guess I could deal with this".

5. YeahpIdk

Hey Caliwoman! Sounds like you're getting out there a bit!

You question if you're picking the wrong women, and I wanted to be like, "you might be!" Women are a bit more confusing. And I definitely sometimes felt like a dude (or what my understanding of what men would say about women was) when dealing with one. There is definitely a gamey dynamic some women take on that is strenuous for those of us who are comfortable with communication. I did have a conversation with someone on this forum where I talked about my thoughts toward men being blunt and not playing games because they're taught to go for what they want and leave behind what they don't, while women are taught to keep their feelings to themselves and act like everything is fine. I think this dynamic is really interesting...and disturbing, because it's this historically taught restriction.

With that said, there are many women who are definitely not like that. There are also many men who can't communicate well and suck. They just never say anything about anything and swallow it deep down until they have to be on blood pressure medication. :slight_smile: Haha.

Anyway, you don't have to deal with women like this. I am one of the communicators, perhaps too well at communicating sometimes. I wouldn't need my partner to ask me what's wrong, they'd just know, lol. When you come across women like this, ones who withhold information so you can guess what's going on, stop speaking to them. If they like you enough, they'll wonder where you are and when things have settled, you can try to have an adult conversation and be like - I can't read your mind so if this is going to work out, you're going to have to be more upfront about something I've done to upset you. I find that people who stay in relationships like this, or seek them out, like drama. And that's fine. Some people love to have drama in their romantic relationships, for whatever reason, but I would keep your questioning at two level mark. Ask once, ask twice, and then forget about it and move on. If they're giving you attitude or acting weird, just don't respond. If you don't want to deal with people who aren't good at communicating because it's too stressful, work on finding the red flags of it, and then letting them be on their way.

OR, you could be finding that, though you're into women, perhaps romantically it doesn't work well for you. That's just one option. I'd say to give it another go if you feel like being with a woman is right. But I totally know what you mean when you talk about the whole, you can overpower a guy in an argument because they just give up. For me, I've found that it's because I'm afraid to get into a serious fight like that with a woman. Perhaps they won't back down, or will get upset and stop talking to me. I do feel uneasy to go as hard at them as I would a guy, but relationships are relationships. If you're with someone you really like, you'll figure out how to navigate it.

Just my two cents!

6. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

Thank you for your responses.

Women confuse me.

The woman I have been talking to gets cold when we hang-up. We stay on for hours at a time, even staying up as last as 2 or 3am, but when we go to hang-up, she's...cold. If I try and hang-up, I usually hear, "I'm not letting you go yet." So I stay on as long as I can, until really late and despite the hours talking, I can tell she's not happy to hang-up.
    I can get that to an extent, because you might really wanna be around the other person or might miss that person, but to be cold and quick? I'm not sure about that.

The other day she was pissed off because I didn't text her all day. But she didn't text me either. She accused me of my texts being short and quick, although I did reply. I felt she was doing the same to me. When I could feel things were amiss, she pretended they weren't. Eventually, she said, "When you like someone, you text them. You didn't text me." But she didn't text either. OMG!!!!!

Then today, I said something that could have been taken out of context. I immediately clarified and apologized. Hours later, I noticed she had put all of her info back on the dating site we had found each other on (she had since taken it down we began to get more intense w/communication and bumped up our date to this month and the conversation became sexual). I tried to get her to talk to me tonight. She ignored some of my phone calls and later text messaged me. She told me to forget it, it was fine and to "let things go." But when I spoke to her on the phone, she told me I needed to talk to other people and that we weren't going to talk the same anymore. She told me this.

I said that isn't where I'm at, didn't like that she was TELLING me what was going to happen and that obviously we weren't on the same page. I thanked her for her time, said it was nice talking to her and goodnight.

She then called back to "check on me." I asked why? She said, "Because that's what assholes do." Huh? Then she stayed quiet. She only repeated that she wanted to, "Check on me." I said I was fine and told her to have a goodnight and hung up.

She text messaged and called again. This time, she said she didn't hear me when I said that we obviously weren't on the same page and stood with her decision that I should "talk to other people and that what we had going wasn't going to be the same." I said that's fine, but it's not where my time and energy are best served, again told her it was nice talking to her, asked if she was sure that this is what she wanted and she said yes. I told her to have a goodnight.

THEN, ten minutes later, she text messages me. I was fed up. Didn't even read it and deleted. Then she called twice and I let it go to VM, just like she did with mine earlier. Then I get a text, saying, "Ok, called again. I'll give you space. Take care."

THEN I get an alert on my dating site profile that she had just visited it, immediately after she text messaged.

What?!

Look, I agree, we don't see eye to eye. I don't like her TELLING me what to do (women have done that before and it never ends well for me). It's simply we're not on the same page. Maybe she didn't hear it the first time, but our last phone call, she clearly did. Yet she still texts and calls and when I let it go to VM, just as she did, then she tells me she's giving me space and to take care. Why even call or text in the first place?

I don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. I have to laugh. I suck at this so bad.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2016 at 01:28 AM ----------

I've since taken my profile down from that site. I'm just at a loss.

7. Really

Wow. She sounds ... immature. You need to meet an adult.

8. YeahpIdk

Yeah. I'd let this one go. You're not speaking each other's language and it's sounding immature bordering on unhealthy. Just let it go. Or take some time. Whatever's best.

#8 YeahpIdk, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  9. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I consider myself a very good communicator but I am not exactly blunt either and this has always been a problem with me and most men even as friends, I simply don't get their communication style. I do want to talk about things and I am actually likely to bring things up after thinking about them for a while, but if the other person becomes aggressive I get hurt easily and just shut down. It has nothing to do with loving drama (absolutely loathe it), I just don't know how to talk about my feelings when I am feeling overpowered and like the other person is running me over like a bulldozer. Perhaps you have run into similar women and you just communicate differently? Just giving my perspective as probably one of those confusing women. :lol:

From your last message the woman you are talking to seems to be really emotionally unstable, so I think you dodged a bullet with her. I really don't see how any of that was your fault, so don't blame yourself. There are plenty women out there who are stable, and many of them will share your communication style too. Keep looking! :slight_smile:

10. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Ok, so I had pretty much the same experience with a guy. You need to let her go. By exerting your control in so far as you are deciding when to reply, when to talk or not talk, she can't deal with that. She sounds like she wants to be chased, to be wanted, to be the one in control so she can decide when she calls you, how the conversation will go, when it will end (the whole, don't hang up thing cos I want to talk and then goes cold?).

This is all about control. She wants to be in control and tell you what's happening and when, and how.

It's great to hear that you are pushing back and setting out your own lines - it's only this year that I've got to a place with this guy where I'm the one now in the driving seat and he can't cope with it. It's moved well past the texts of 'are you okay?' if I don't text him one day as he now realises that I just won't reply or I'll reply in a positive, matter of fact and totally honest up front way.

If you think that the firm line you are taking will work and she'll come round then carry on as you've been doing - at least you will have some dignity and self-respect if or when it all ends and you don't end up feeling like you've been manipulated and become someone who you aren't.

She sounds unhealthily needy - and a complete control freak - and projects this onto you in the form of the control she is exerting. Good luck :wink:

#10 Highlander2, Aug 13, 2016
  11. YeahpIdk

^^ this

12. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Ugh, I'm exhausted. It's 2am here and I've been up all week, talking to her for like 4 hours a day, from 10pm-2am(ish).

She's a big wig at a major institute here in Southern California. She says that she's, "Princess Charming" because she treats her girlfriends so wonderfully. That her girlfriend is her princess. I thought this was sweet at first, but now I wonder?

I mean, she was TELLING me what was going to happen. She had TOLD me the other day about the nuances of how to reach out via text. She went cold on me at one point and told me to "have a super weekend" even thought it was mid-week and that was a straight up out the blue text. That text was confusing because we were exchanging 100 messages a day and then 3-4 hour long convos a night. So telling me to have a good weekend, even though it was a Wednesday night, was like TELLING me we weren't going to talk.

When I talked to her about this, it ended up being that basically she felt I was cold because I hadn't reached out to her all day.

Lets say you and I are talking everyday, 3-4 hours a night, texting 100 messages a day combined and then one day I just say have a super weekend and you're cold and short...it threw me off. And basically, it was because I hadn't reached out to her. When we smoothed that over and I went to hang up, reassuring her that I would text her the next day, she said, "No, I'm not letting you go yet. I don't want to." After that, we stayed on the phone for another 3 hours and she went back to normal until it was time to hang up.

Yeah, I'm letting this go. I don't care what kind of job she has or if she's Princess Charming whatever. This crap ain't worth it to me. I'm a type A personality, but I would never TELL anyone what to do. I've already had this with my trigger crush and then ended with a broken heart, so no, I'm good.

I'm really tired of the push and pull. We agreed we didn't see eye to eye, thanks for your time and it was nice talking to you...there was no reason to call or text after that unless your playing games, especially since when we did talk, I asked you if you were sure that this is what you wanted.

Uhhhh, I'm exhausted.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2016 at 02:16 AM ----------

Sadly, I concur. Ugh. Thank you.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2016 at 02:26 AM ----------

At another point, she asked me when was the last time I had been intimate with my husband, whom I am currently kinda going through an ongoing separation from.

When I answered, she said she didn't like that answer. When I asked her why, she refused to say.

I also felt like I had to ask her things multiple times to get her to answer.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2016 at 02:27 AM ----------

Oops, trial separation, I mean.

#12 caliwoman, Aug 13, 2016
  13. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

When I was trying to express how different this was talking to a woman vs being with a man, and how i was fearful after everything I went through with my trigger crush, her reply was, "I'm sorry that sucked for you, but what does that got to do with me?"

I didnt like the way that felt, to hear that. Hmmm. Now I'm just thinking and thinking.

14. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Gosh, if she's acting this way now, can you imagine how things will be if you decided to pursue things a bit further? I'm sure the same, right. Perhaps, she's insecure and afraid, so she's playing this confusing ass game in which she's figured out the outcome already. But that isn't a way to live, right...I mean, being pessimistic is really toxic and extremely depressing, so I'd suggest you run the other way.

This woman has no idea what she wants and you do, therefore you're most definitely not on the same page, which is fine. But don't give up hope just yet, I'm sure you'll find someone who is more grounded and mature.

#14 pinklov3ly, Aug 13, 2016
  15. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

Thank you and I agree.

I woke up really sad and confused. I haven't spent every night talking to someone for 3-4 hours a night since high school. Lol. We got along so well, but it's taken a lot for me to learn the simple fact that there is much more to relationships than that.

Thanks again!

16. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

In my opinion you need to build up a relationship with someone in person not online or by text. Next time why dont you just exchange a couple of messages then meet the person, go for a coffee or a drink or something.

#16 Poppy43, Aug 13, 2016
  17. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Cali, this sound so familiar, as I've described to you earlier. She has become a master at this - clearly before she is able to use words and intonation to the effect it is having on you. I know that it's easy to get so carried away in the heat of the initial contact and you find so much to talk about and it's just so intense. But it's intense for a reason - and in this case it's because she is intense and the fire and interest she has shown sparks you as you are looking or someone who is interested in you and wants to talk and learn more and connect with you.

You talk about not having talked for 3 hours with someone since high school, and I guess the feelings it resurrects are those you probably felt as a teenager in high school...

This is an abusive 'relationship', and good God only knows what it would be like if you two were an item and in a proper relationship. You are being manipulated by this person, and your emotions are being played with. As you've described the 'have a good weekend' is symptomatic of the control - I have decided that we are not going to talk until at least the weekend. You don't have a choice in that matter and if you did think about making contact you'll remember the oblique reference to there being no opportunity from Wednesday onwards to wish each other a good weekend...

My opinion - tanks on the lawn, tell her how she makes you feel, be blunt, don't take any of the guilt trip that she is likely to throw at you, be clear and tell her that her games make you confused about what she actually wants, but it's clear that she herself doesn't really know. Wish her good luck, block and delete. She sounds like the makings of a total bunny boiler.

#17 Highlander2, Aug 13, 2016
  18. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

OMG you're freakin' right. Her interest in me was like the love bombing portion in a narcisstic relationship. I knew something was "off" and then I rationalized it.

Sometimes, she was like two different people. The indifferent, passive-aggressive low-toned, quiet woman who made appearances, but once I had attempted to smooth things over, would give way to the regular jovial person I had begun to like.

It was like yesterday. She called 6 times after midnight. 3 of those times, it was the woman who just wasn't like herself and sounded off, although vehemently denied it and said I was imagining it...then, after I tell her that we just aren't on the same page, thanking her for her time, and telling her goodnight, she calls back to ask me, "How's the weather outside?" and when i ask her why she's calling (I mean, we just got off the phone), she stays quiet and I fall for it and repeat the question multiple times only to hear, "I don't know what you mean."
    WTF? Which version of you am I talking to?

And I freaking couldn't even see it. Thank you Highlander!! Gosh. Can't believe I got sucked in. She got the last word in, I didn't reply, so hopefully I won't hear from her again.

And she also would click on my dating profile, everyday, even though we were calling and texting by then. If I had to make an assumption, I believe she was checking to see what time I had last logged on.

#18 caliwoman, Aug 13, 2016
  19. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I've been there and done that. I feel ya buddy.

20. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only

I think it's more of a personality thing. I can't be with someone overly-sensitive person male or female because I'm honest & laid-back. A frantic person always busy can't be with me. There can be exceptions but I'd rather not beat around the bush and be direct. If someone is too much of a puzzle for me I'm gone lol.