1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Gay Is Cool...?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by GayPugs, Aug 9, 2016.

1. GayPugs

Ok, let me explain, people on the internet seem to think being gay is "cool." Have you ever seen an Instagram user who's names was, like, GayPanda856? And when you go on their profile their bio says "Im gay trash lol!!1!" Like, why? It's great to embrace being gay but just...why? I know this is a bit hypocritical cuz my username is GayPugs but on other sites I have a much different username that I use that has nothing to do with me being gay and maybe in my bio I'll say something like "I'm a Genderfluid and (biologically) lesbian." I just don't get the people like GayPanda856 (not actually a real user, I made them up as an example) can anybody provide an explanation?

2. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally don't see why it's such a bad thing. Maybe they're trying to suit the mood by making it a whole lot obvious? I really can't tell what goes through their mind as they type that but they probably don't want to make it sound offensive. Maybe they're even advocating it, hell do I know xd

3. DoriaN

xXWeEDSn1p3r420Xx

PandaLove

KillingSeason

coolusername

Biwinning88

JesusIsLove

Rainclouds

Joeprincess16

Bluelobster435

People pick names they think are funny, relate to, identify with, express a part of who they are, and so on.
    I don't think it's a thing about what's 'cool', but surely an individual finds their own understanding and likes to be in a sense cool. Your name is GayPugs; I'm guessing because you're gay, and you like pugs. ez pz

4. SystemGlitch

I think some people are just proud of who they are and don't want to hide it. Some people might use a word (specifically gay) in their username to be "ironic" and "funny" because "omg I'm calling myself gay haha", but I think for the people who are actually LGBT they might want to meet other LGBT people to chat to in a safe space (since the internet is fairly safe for casual conversation as long as you obey the "no personal info" rule) or they want to be completely themselves, pull no punches, and just rock their identity.

It's something I personally wouldn't do since I don't really treat real-life interaction and internet-interaction any differently, but I can sorta see the appeal. I prefer more subtle references to myself. PX

#4 SystemGlitch, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yeah, being gay is cool~! ^.^

Personally I wouldn't draw so much attention to it, but I don't have a lot of confidence. I guess it's a good thing that they're so glad about it...? Lol. ^^

6. GayPugs

I'm not saying I'm offended by them doing this I just don't know what would go through their heads to do that type of thing. (Ok, so maybe "gay trash" offends me a little but like...c'mon.) It's great if their happy about their identity and whatever but does it need to be EVERYWHERE? I mean, your sexual identity is great whatever it is but it's not all you are. People are more than who they are attracted to. And my name on other social platforms has nothing to do with being gay and I still meet and have lots of gay internet friends. Also, DoriaN, you obviously did not read my full post. When you're on a website that needs you to pick a username that you've never used before it happens to be an LGBT website, you'd probably pick something relating to your gender identity or sexual orientation. I'm talking about people just on Instagram and Twitter.
    Once again, I have NOTHING against people who do this. I just think it's a little bit...strange. Or, as my dad would say, interesanté (which means interesting in his language.)

7. smurf

Does it need to be everywhere? Why not. Why can't it be everywhere. What would happen it if was everywhere?

For some people, they are stuck in very ugly situations. Maybe their parents are homophobic and they are surrounded by homophobia at school, at home and with family. So they go online and they create a positive and affirming space for themselves.

Some people are just really proud that they are gay and they want to tell everyone. I mean, being proud of being gay is not the easiest of things to do. Its not the easiest of lives. So fuck yeah, go you for being able to accept yourself and finding a way to survive this world.

Is it everything about a person? No, but usernames aren't supposed to give you a sense of EVERYTHING about a person. They just decided to let you know that they are gay. Maybe they could have focused in another identity, but they like gay right now.

And that is what works for you. If I were to guess, you like the idea of being able to blend in with everyone else even if you are gay. It sounds like its an important thing for you, which is great, but it might also explain why you think openly offering that you are gay is strange.

8. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm one of those people that you're talking about. because I'm scared to freaking death.

I'm scared of people who might hurt me, I'm scared of people who are hateful, and I'm scared of my future as a gay trans person.

Being so open about my identity helps me be less scared. If I feel like I should hide it then I feel like I need to hide myself.

Besides, for some people they're very proud of their sexuality and it's a big part of who they are. So what? That's just how they've chosen to live their lives. Better to be proud than ashamed.

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2016 at 08:07 AM ----------

I'm one of those people that you're talking about. because I'm scared to freaking death.

I'm scared of people who might hurt me, I'm scared of people who are hateful, and I'm scared of my future as a gay trans person.

Being so open about my identity helps me be less scared. If I feel like I should hide it then I feel like I need to hide myself.

Besides, for some people they're very proud of their sexuality and it's a big part of who they are. So what? That's just how they've chosen to live their lives. Better to be proud than ashamed.

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do see a lot of fakers looking for attention, and the one every now and then one who actually is gay but still craves that same hot air. Eh, I don't know, as I'm the type who fears attention as it could potentially attract neo-Nazi creeps and murders who want nothing more than to jihad my neck.

On the other hand, if someone is gay my brain does tend to group that as a positive trait because of the likely absence of homophobia. As in "Yay, this person probably isn't hostile." though there are exceptions to nearly any rule.

#9 Kira, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  10. GayPugs

Ok...? No, blending in with other people is not important to me. Every person is DIFFERENT why the fuck would I care about "blending in?" Why is everybody so defensive about this? It was a simple question! Gee, sorry that I asked a QUESTION. Once AGAIN I'm NOT saying it's bad to be open about it and all that. I was just wondering why! And you know, RavenTheRat:

GAVE ME MY ANSWER. THIS is someone who I think (more or less) understands that I was ASKING A QUESTION. Because they are the only person who is actually one of those types of people so they could understand why and successfully answer my question without implying that I'm somehow homophobic and stupid and just trying to silence these people and I need to "blend in" to feel good about myself! So, there you have it.

11. plant

I understand that you were trying to start a discussion but you're getting strangely offended by something that has nothing to do with you. Someone having something to do with their sexuality / gender in their social media username doesn't affect you at all. It's a username. Do you also think it's strange to put other identifiers in usernames? Obviously you are more than a gay pug lover and no one is questioning that. No one is sitting here thinking that those are the only two things that make you who you are just because they're in your username. You're the only person getting "defensive" about this discussion. Everyone understands that you were asking a question, or they wouldn't have responded. Just because it wasn't an answer that you liked doesn't mean they didn't answer your question.