1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicide Squad!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by iiimee, Aug 7, 2016.

1. iiimee

Anyone else excited for the movie? It's currently in theatres so me and my sister are going to see it tonight. XD I'm dressing up as a Heath Ledger sort of joker while she's more Suicide Squad Harley Quinn. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Right now half my face is covered in acrylic paint and there's a ton of red lipstick on me that she put on me for practice- I'll have to hop in the shower before I can apply my own paint. >_< Anyway, yeah, it's pretty clear that we're both pretty excited for this movie. What about you guys? I know it's gotten bad reviews, but considering all the actors I can't really believe it'll be THAT bad...

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. The actors in this movie are what I'm looking forward to. I've always been a huge Harley Quinn fan, so I'm interested to see how they portray her in this movie. I plan on seeing it this Friday. Have fun! <3

3. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Don't worry! It's fun - not brilliant but at least a 6/10.

You'll like Harley, believe me, and maybe Joker (people seem split on him). Viola Davis and Will Smith are also brilliant in the film.

Enjoy! :grin:

#3 Connorcode, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2016
  4. iiimee

^ Well, I love Jared Leto's previous works so I can't hate the joker. XD

5. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Then you're set for an enjoyable time!

Fingers crossed all the good characters reappear in other DCEU movies soon

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I heard it got a 27% on Rotten Tomatoes. I know RT is very critical, but damn... XD

Again, have a great time! :grin:

7. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to see it next Friday, can't wait. I have been waiting forever for a live action movie with Harley Quinn, I'm such a huge fan.

8. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My straight best friend has a crush on Harley Quinn. I used to have a crush on my best friend. I might just see it because of that :grin:

9. iiimee

So... I went, and, without spoiling too much, there are some things I'd like to say:

I LOVE Will Smith as Deadshot, don't get me wrong- but I feel like Will Smith is always just playing... Will Smith. No matter how hard he tries to be someone else, he just came across as Will Smith. Also, they needed more moments with Will Smith actually wearing the Deadshot mask. There are a few frames of him with it on, and that's in. They tried to make him putting on the mask very dramatic, but the fact he only wore it for a few seconds really ruined that effect.

Jared Leto, despite having so many of his scenes cut from the movie, really was the star of the show, shining brighter than anyone except maybe Margot Robbie, though I can't really say which one of them shined brighter because of the fact Margot was given an almost unfair amount of screen time. Still, can you blame them for showing off such an iconic character like that? Everyone's seen the joker in some form or another, but Harley's a new breed of crazy.

I was both impressed with the details and Easter eggs put in the movie, while also disgusted by the lack of explanation for why some things were happening. So much time was spent on dialogue, yet most of the dialogue was empty or focused on a character's emotional backstory. There was little to no explanation for anything that happened in the story, and I feel that you have to be very familiar with each character to really appreciate the story the movie's trying to sell you. It almost felt pointless to add all that backstory yet leave out or downplay massive details in the story.

I wanted the Killer Croc eating people to be a little more rough. It really just looks like he banged his head against them and they all died. The fighting scenes in general were sub-par.

The main villain was pretty great despite her cheesy dialogue, though her assistant sucked... a lot. In general, a lot of characters sucked- I'm looking at you Katana and... Boomerang guy. Oh, and Slipknot. If you like Slipknot, you shouldn't watch this movie. I actually forgot he was in it.

Lastly, the sound effects were horrible. I could do better sword sound effects with any wooden object- not even metal- and a knife. Please... try not to listen to the sound effects too closely if you can help it. That was the one thing that bothered me the most about this movie.

^ Despite all the cruel things I said, I wouldn't say this is the worst movie I've ever seen, and it at least deserves a 4/10 in terms of quality, though in terms of just rough enjoy-ability I'd give it a 6. Seeing the actors bursting with energy really was refreshing from your average film, and while this will go down as one of those movies people will regret ever having performed in, it is a barrel of laughs as long as you can keep yourself from looking at every error the movie blatantly throws in your face. Honestly, not one of the errors I listed above was even mildly well-hidden. It was rough all around, but if you look deep enough into it you might just see a glimmer of potential for the director and producers of this beautiful train wreck.

10. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Meh... That sucks. I was hoping this movie was at least an 8/10. I may still go see it this Friday, unless I find another movie on the list that I've been wanting to see. I wish they would have made separate movies on each character's life before they made this movie. It probably would have saved a lot of space for a better plot.

11. White Knight

If there won't be change of plans in near future I will see it on DVD/Bray. My main reason for not watching in theaters is Will Smith. Like confirmed by many he still plays himself, not a character. I am just waiting for him to disappear from spotlight like other "talented" actor Jim Carey.

Don't care what people say after Batman vs Superman. I liked that movie while everyone seems to find it weak. It is the only movie that makes me love and understand Superman and hate Lex Luthor with passion. On earlier version he was like old Superman movie like goofy villian. Modern comics somehow made him more interesting than Superman. Now this movie paints a Lex which is creepy and deserves a punch in the face.

I found main attraction point of BvS, Wonder Woman most uninteresting part of the movie. It would be better without her... even she is my favorite DC hero. Looking forward to her stand alone movie tho'.

12. kronixx

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It sounds like a pretty original idea but my mom doesn't go to theaters because they're generally dirty, and she's a bit of a germaphobe.

13. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that a lot of people will get disappointed because of the overhype. However, it is a good, fun movie, and I recommend it. Like the majority of movies nowadays, the story is compressed and everything happens too fast (just to tell the story of this movie, they could use 2 movies in my opinion).

But, yeah, not an exceptional movie, it has some clichés (not spoiling anything, of course), so it didn't surprise me. However, I give it a 7/10. It isn't amazing, but it is fun and it was certainly worth it.

One of the things I liked is the balance between humor and seriousness. The movie has some funny moments and some jokes, but they don't break the dark atmosphere, and that's really cool.

14. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jared Leto's Joker is sexual, like... very freakin sexual. I enjoyed that a lot. We've already seen the best of chaotic and anarchist Jokers on big screen. Too bad they cut some Joker scenes. Aside from that, I enjoyed everything in the movie, because I wasn't overhyped. Also, why did people expect a complex plot?! If you want that watch european cinema. I don't understand critics, tbh.
    Only real problem I have is with the villian, but oh well. I really disliked Christian Bale as Batmam, but that didn't stop my overall enjoyment of the trilogy he was in.

15. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw it yesterday. Joker and Harley made the film for me, they were adorable. Will Smith was predictable Will Smith, not who I would have chosen for the role. The rest of characters were bland or uninteresting. Killer Croc was a colossal letdown and possibly the biggest disappointment with the film, because he is a beast in comics. There were definitely dialogue and plot moments that were overly cheesy and predictable, but then again it's a comic made into film. I would like to see more Harley/Joker in upcoming Batman films with Affleck.

#15 108, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  16. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To me you could have pulled the Joker and Harley out and the movie wouldn't have changed. Leto was meh as the Joker, not good and not bad. Harley was exactly what I expected, a watered down over sexed eye candy role and nothing else. Shame cause her character is pretty interesting. They tossed the interesting part and just went for nucking futs, tits and ass. She only contributed in the fighting because of plot armor. Utterly useless if not for heavy, heavy plot armor.

Will Smith was decent and I agree he should have wore the mask more or at least the eye piece more.

I would like to personally apologize to Australia for the fact DC put a character on screen that was made of every conceivable bad stereotype people of America have of Aussies.

The only really great character to me was El Diablo. As he was the only one that wasn't one dimensional. Jay Hernandez did a good job portraying a guy with way more power than any other single character in the movie except Enchantress, and also knew he screwed up. He had solid dialog that fit his character, and didn't need any of the cheap one liners the rest did.

Killer Croc, could have gotten some more screen time. It is like the flooded subway was an after thought. Like oh yeah we have an character that can swim really good, we should show him swimming.

The special effects were pretty. The sound track while jumpy, was good. Over all it was good, but way over hyped.

17. Rainbow Lantern

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just saw it yesterday.I liked it and I'm glad some of these characters finally got to see the big screen. I'm not however going to get into everything I liked and disklied about it other than a few things - killer croc was smaller and less brutal and scary than he usually should be, and I was hoping there would be a hint or reference to deathstroke at some point but oh well. However, despite its flaws it could have been a lot worse (at least George clooney wasn't batman). Another random point is that the joker seemingly cares about Harley more than usual in this movie instead of throwing her aside (and out the windows of buildings), taking her for granted, etc (although he still manipulated and abused her - poor Harley). Although I liked that reference to the cover art with her and joker by Alex ross.

18. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw it two days ago, it was really good. I am not really into super hero movies, especially those from DC Comics, but I loved this movie.

19. SHIELDAgentAlex

I've seen it twice and loved it both times. Margot Robbie was fantastic as Harley--actually, everyone besides Cara Delevingne was great, and Will Smith really surprised me. Viola Davis and Jared Leto, though, were my favorites. Davis absolutely captured the spirit of Amanda Waller, and Leto--even though he had barely enough screentime--owned the film every time he was onscreen.

I just wish the villain had been better.

20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really poor editing, and pretty bad story flow. Had the potential to be fantastic, a DC version of The Avengers, but DC just sucks at making movies for some reason.

I loved the casting though. Even with Will Smith only ever playing Will Smith, I actually think his personality is a reasonably close fit to Deadshot's. And hell, I'll pay to watch Harley Quinn no matter who's playing her.

For a better done feature-ish length version for comic fans though, I recommend Batman: Assault on Arkham. You can rent it for $3 on youtube.

Someone told me that was the "critic" rating though. Not worth s*** to me.