1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other LGBT members hate me cause of my religion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LGBTinc, Aug 6, 2016.

1. LGBTinc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been chatting with other LGBT members outside of this site and they all hate me because I'm a Gay Christian. I don't get it.

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People have bad experiences with Christianity in the LGBT community. I had a friend at church who was Pansexual and she came out. There was a new pastor at this time and after she came out he said she couldn't work with kids anymore and she couldn't get married there. Well she left the church of course... was suicidal for awhile... then she became agnostic and started dating a man and avoids church.

So for things like that people tend to hate religion in general. I'm a Christian too but when people bring down my beliefs I know it's not because they necessarily hate what Jesus taught but more how Christians teach.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Christianity was responsible for a lot of the banning of homosexuality.

But if you - or any other Christian - is not homophobic, then I'd leave them alone. If they're not willing to see you're not homophobic then they're probably not going to change their mind any time soon. Some people like to hate on those who have hated on them, even if they're hating on people who were merely part of that group and the individual person has never hated on them.

Perhaps make friends with LGBT people who are accepting of pro-LGBT religious people.

4. biisme

Well, it sounds like their loss. Just as everyone has differing sexualities, so is there a wide spectrum in religious beliefs. It's not anyone else's business what religion you are. It would be naive of me, or anyone, to think that you should or shouldn't be a certain religion based upon the fact that you're gay.

Perhaps just a gentle reminder that your faith doesn't affect them in any way would be warranted, if they bring it up. Unless you're putting down their beliefs (or perhaps lack thereof), then they have no reason to judge you for yours.

In all cases, it should be "You can believe what you want, and be left alone, as long as you don't try and impose beliefs on someone else." And I think that goes for everything.

#4 biisme, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  5. LGBTinc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the support guys <3 it's very helpful for me.

6. iiimee

I find it hard to believe that more than 2 or 3 LGBT people you find online hate you because of your religion- even then it'd be shocking if you even found that many. Most of the world population is either Christian or Muslim, and while the percentages of non-religious LGBT people is significantly higher than the percentages of non-LGBT people, I honestly can't believe that people flat-out hate you for your religion unless you give them reason to.

What did you say to these people? Did you in any way preach about your religion to them? What did they say that makes you think that they hate you? I'd love to see the conversations between you and these supposed religious-people-haters.

7. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a queer Christian too, and, while I've never experienced actual hate, I have run into distaste when it comes to Christianity. Usually it comes from not-religious people, which makes sense, but I've seen it with Christians as well. My sister, who is Christian, makes snide comments when someone on TV talks about God, even in the "I thank God for my family" sort of way where God isn't even the main focus.

Some Christians basically scream "Look at me! I'm Christian, and I'm going to judge and condemn you and everything you stand for, and I can because God", and that leaves a nasty stigma for all of us Christians. Christianity, I think, sets off warning bells in people's minds, especially those of us who are "untraditional".

I even do it sometimes. I am every-Sunday-Mass-goer, but when I meet someone who goes as much as I do, I immediately assume that they'll judge me for my sexual orientation, or my gender, or the length of my skirt. I try to suppress the paranoia because it's a bit hypocritical, but it's still there.

I also think "gay" and "Christian" to a lot of people are antonyms. Christianity is linked to gay-hate. To a certain extent, we threaten the norm and that scares some people. My philosophy is that if someone can't accept something integral to myself, then screw them. They're not worth it. I'm Catholic, queer, and a feminist, and I am not an oxymoron.

But those are just my rambling thoughts. :slight_smile:

8. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to be the opposite end of the spectrum here, I personally could be friendly with, but never entertain any sort of romantic interest in a gay Christian. The fundamentals of the religion are not agreeable to me, and the history of violence and oppression (which I admit can be contributed to other factors other than the book itself) have engraved a strong distaste for anything to do with it. I know many straight people who feel similarly, and can imagine there's probably a high percentage of people in the LGBT community who do as well. I wouldn't call it hate by any means though.

#8 108, Aug 6, 2016
  9. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a lesbian and a Christian. II know a lot of LGBTQ people have dealt with a lot of hate from people of other religions. I have a friend who is gay and he was kicked out of his church when he came out. My pastor on the other hand sees nothing wrong with the LGBTQ community. He says that God doesn't make mistakes and believes that you can't help who you love. In the bible it even says thou shall not judge. I agree with the people on her who say it's not God who doesn't like it, it's other Christians who think its wrong and condemn it. None of us are God so we don't know what he likes or doesn't, I think he just wants us ro spread love and acceptance. From one Christian to another, it is perfectly fine to be Gay and a Christian.

10. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Life's to short to let yourself be filled with hate for anything or anyone, there's plenty of things and people I dislike and don't have anything to do with, but that doesn't mean they don't have a right to there opinions. The best part of the LGBTQ community is there acceptance of everyone and anyone, regardless of sex, race or religion, to hear that members of this community(as a whole,not this site) are showing any kind of disrespect or discrimination is hard to hear.

11. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    while there is a big sense of unity within the LGBT community (especially on this site), it's not completely absent from hatred. Just like any group, there will be those who hate others for fairly petty reasons, especially online. Personally I normally don't use a petty reason to automatically hate someone such as their religion. Unless they try converting me, which hardly ever happens to me, or use it as an excuse to harm others, there really shouldn't be a problem with it. There are always people who are exceptions within every group.

#11 kibou97, Aug 6, 2016
  12. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here at EC we understand that people come to us with all manner of different faiths (or indeed, lack thereof) and we try to be respectful of everyone's views.

Of course, some people will want to point out the wrong-doings of certain religious institutions, particularly towards the LGBT community, and that's fair enough. However, faith is personal and there are often many interpretations of any given religion.

Some people find their faith of great comfort to them when dealing with self-acceptance and coming out, and I don't think it's right that anyone should invalidate their beliefs.

13. Reikokuna

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never get the whole "I hate your religion" bullcrappery. I have no religion and don't have any negative views on people who do, well that's a little lie, I do hate the ones who try and force their religion down your throat, then state you are going to the place you don't believe in because you don't believe it. I have read the bible from cover to cover and there are so many contradictions and plot holes regarding the whole homosexual stuff that I have no idea how they can even say "god hates gays" when it does not actually state it anywhere that another chapter does not back track on that statement.
    I just don't understand how an institution that preaches love, can hate so much.

14. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just don't bother with closed-minded people like that. There are plenty of LGBT+ people who will have nothing against you for being Christian.

15. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear you have experienced that.

Personally, I don't hate individuals who have religion, but I do find it very hard to relate to them. I have several friends who are openly religious and we get on fine ( yes, I know how that sounds"Some of my best friends are....")....but I couldn't ever get into a relationship with someone with religion....there would just be too much of a gap in how we see things ( and I can't imagine they'd want to have a relationship with me either, for much the same reason , trust is very important in a relationship)

Religions ( particularly the Jewish-Christian-Muslim one) have not been kind to LGBTI people in general over the centuries, so it shouldn't be too surprising that a lot of us find it difficult to relate to it. Do I hate religious people? No, not at all. Do I hate the many atrocities various religions have inflicted on "our people" ? Absolutely. But that is a very different thing. I certainly don't hate gay Christians / Muslims.... I just find them deeply puzzling. Although, to be fair, I find any religious beliefs puzzling

#15 Gaysibling, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  16. schaussey

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm a Christian as well and it's so disheartening to hear stories like yours. I personally don't go to church because one, I don't think it's needed to prove my loyalty and faith because I do so much study on my own and am very busy, and two, I come from a household of atheists (yeah, it's a little backwards than most stories) and I haven't really "come out" as religious, but church is powerful for many and I hate to see that taken away from people.

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear that you have felt attacked by others in the community based upon your religion. Many within the LGBTQ community do find solace and comfort with religion, and I think it's wonderful to have queer representation in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc., even as a nonreligious person. Growing up in a very religious community, I can relate to those who felt hurt from religion and to those who found comfort with it, and my partner is also nonreligious but still sort of identifies as Culturally Methodist as he was very involved in service with them, and wants to see them begin accepting LGBTQ people into leadership roles. I also have a bunch of queer ex-Catholic friends who feel the same way about the Church.

18. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The Christian move movement is generally unfriendly to the LGBT+ community and most people in the LGBT+ community send the distain back

19. White Knight

People love stories. Every good story needs a villain or a monster. Religion is big bad monster of LGBT saga.

So while they like to play victim, they don't think twice to hit you in the face if you are not what they think "perfect"... let it be religion, race, masculinity/femininity, non gay or hetero sexuality...

However not everyone is like that. This is why we learn to draw our way in life. Just keep people who accepts you as a whole close and ignore others.

20. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a bisexual Christian who prefers men and I know how hard it is is to be in that situation but don't give up because I think people will end up being more tolerant towards you