1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Number One Fear About Starting Testosterone...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by iiimee, Aug 5, 2016.

1. iiimee

...is that my cats won't love me anymore. XD

Seriously though, I've read countless things about how animals usually prefer females over males, and animals determine your sex by your hormones (which they can smell).

So, have any trans men felt like their pets have grown more distant with them due to them starting T? What about trans women? Were your pets more willing to bond with you, or less so because you changed so drastically? Just curious to see if this could possibly happen.

2. lnamae

lnamae Guest

I'm not on T, but my ex partner (a cis dude) always used to get cuddles from our cat :lol: I think they care more about who feels comfortable to sit on/who feeds them. I hadn't heard of the smell thing before.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had to dig around on my blog to find this, but this is what someone on T had to say about those who are afraid their pets won't love or recognize them after they start HRT:

4. Althidon

My cats and dog haven't changed at all toward me. They know exactly who I am.

I think the only concern would be new animals that have a strong preference against a specific gender (like a dog that's been abused by a man and is afraid of men as a result). They might react differently to you than they would have before.

5. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about cats and dogs, just monitor your overall health carefully.

6. thepandaboss

I'm 2 months in, haven't noticed a difference yet. But my animals are usually chill. They'll adjust, I think.

7. smokey-knows-all

I was scared too but my cat really didnt seem to care. He really didnt like when he smelled the bottle though. I think the change is gradual enough that it wont shock them too much. Smokey got more concerned and clingy since then (it got to the point of being totally smothering) because i was also dropping weight heading into winter so he was trying his hardest to keep me warm.
    Honestly me having sex shook up his world 1000x more XD

8. iiimee

^ I should call the animal police man. XD You sound like you're abusing that poor kitty!

9. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My family's cat is the exact opposite of the stereotype, she prefers to hang out with guys.